Health Insurance

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Aussie in Cancun, Apr 12, 2012.

1. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Didn't mean to post that yet but seriously WTF! $6000 dollars a year and I still have to pay the first $1000US of any treatment? Although it didn't mention if it was $1000 deductible per year or treatment?

Is there a BUPA hospital in Cancun?

2. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    after speaking to Bupa, they say you pay $1000 out of the costs for the year, then anything after that is covered by them so basically you pay $7200 a year to be covered. That's what, 8000 pesos a month? Fudge!

3. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They also said that the Bupa hospital in Cancun is Amerimed and it covers all levels of Bupa insurance including the essential (that's the cheap one i quoted!!!). I like the idea of a yearly deductible but only good if the insurance covers everything like x-rays and day to day stuff as opposed to just emergencies. They said they might cover my pre-existing condition as well.

4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
  5. valgunn

valgunn Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We use DKV Globality and it is excellent--cannot recommend them enough. Covers our family in every country (except USA--emergency care only for six weeks maximum). We have the Globality YouGenio Top plan, here is more information: GLOBALITY - Globality YouGenio which is what we need. For the money, I don't think there is a better plan out there. The next best I believe is Nordic Health Care, which offers a similar plan: The Product - www.nhcglobal.com also very good. We have had Aetna in the past and looked into Bupa, IHI and a number of others as well.

6. valgunn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Our deductible is very low with DKV and we can use any doctor or facility we choose. They've been great and have covered every expense, including two doctors which took cash only and provided only basic provider information (essentially handwritten on a blank sheet of paper I scanned and sent to DKV).

7. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks val. I tried to get an online quote but whenever i put in my wifes nationality as 'mexico' it just highlighted that in purple and said nothing else, as if to say 'sorry, no'!

8. playagrandma

playagrandma Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sam I lived in Playa for 5 years and had AXA. Your premium and deductible will go up every year and that deductible is per illness. So an example my last year there I was paying 5600 pesos quartely. The deductible was $600. This policy was for the hospital only. However lets say you are having back problems. Its best to keep all receipts for drs. visits, lab work and meds. If and when you would need surgery after your deductible these receipts can be submitted to your agent. I have no idea if this was really a good plan cause I never had to use it. It also will pay up to $50,000 if you are traveling to the states and have an emergency. I hope this helps. The few people I know that had to use the policy were very pleased.

9. valgunn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sam, send off an email to pierre AT pacificprime DOT com and ask for a quote (give your details and the plan you want). He will get the same rate as the online quote. Mention my name when you make contact and he should respond back quickly, he's been very helpful for us.

10. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Many expats, living on the economy in Mexico, are daunted by the high cost of healt insurance and end up doing without.

Rather than do that, IMSS should be considered, it seems to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice