Having a baby in cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by isa, Oct 18, 2010.

1. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Lots and lots of babies are born with cord around the neck - but it is used here as a reason for c section :(. Congrats Kathy on being a homebirther- I love attending home births and my daughter was also born at home !

2. KTDLP

KTDLP Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you read back on this post, I was an advocate for Dr. Medellion and Galenia during my pregnancy. That has since changed, luckily before I gave birth. When I discovered that my nephews were not actually delivered vaginally but all 5 were delivered via c-section, I started to get really scared about the decision I made. I met with TraceyUK and developed a birth plan that worked for me and my husband, and decided to use her services as our doula or birth coach. When I presented the birth plan to our doctor, he responded with laughter, rejected most of our requests, and told me that if I didn't have an episiotomy that it would be like "having a bomb go off in my vagina."

I then decided to take Tracey's advice and switch doctors only a month before my due date. I went to doctor Aguilar at Clinica Victoria, but decided to still birth at Galenia. I couldn't have made a better decision and just in the knick of time. I went into labor a couple of days before my due date and labored at home. The doctor came to my home to do vaginal exams, so I didn't have to show up too early at the hospital. He would have let me birth there as well, since he does perform home births at request, but we felt more comfortable going to the hospital. I finished my last two centimeters laboring in the birthing pool, and then got out and birthed on the table. No drugs, no interventions, nothing. Our little one was also born with his cord wrapped around his neck. The doctor quickly removed it before delivering the rest of his body.

If Galenia is too expensive, you can birth at his clinic or at home. He charges $10,000 pesos for his services and $300 pesos per office visit. If you truly want a vaginal birth, hire Tracey and Dr. Aguilar. They are the perfect birthing team. I know I could not have done it without them. Galenia has OVER A 95% C-SECTION RATE. That is a fact. I am like a local celebrity now, because I had an unmedicated vaginal birth. How sad is that? If you do want an elected c-section though, go to Medellion or Loya. They are some of the most experienced surgeons in Cancun.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  3. LindaUK

LindaUK Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Baby stuff for sale

Hi there, I have just joined the site from a friends recommendation (thanks TraceyUK) and would like to let all pregnant mothers out there know that I have a lot of baby items for sale, all in excellent condition. I have a bambineto, blue prinsel high chair, pine cot bed, fisher price play mat, bright starts bouncey chair, sterilising unit, BUMBO seat, baby carrier harness, baby walker and loads of cheap toys in excellent condition. I also have a SILVER CROSS pram that converts to a flat pram with an insert for newborns, raincover, footmuff, summer umbrella and matching car seat ....Let me know if you are interested in anything :)

4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Must be a "class" thing, for the well to do Mexican, to go to private hospitals and have a C-section: the rate in the public hospitals is much lower, less than 30% (still sounds far higher than it could be, but it's 32% in the U.S., too.)

5. KTDLP

KTDLP Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It most definitely is a class thing, but the rate at the public hospitals is well over 45% in Cancun. Cancun has the highest c-section rate of any city in Mexico. And regardless of class, 95% of women do not choose c-section. Within the last 2 months, I know 3 local women that planned natural childbirth and ended up with c-sections at Galenia. I do not know one women in my social circle that has had a vaginal birth.

6. CarolAnnesp

CarolAnnesp Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was hoping someone can help me here:

I'm an American going to Cancun in 2 weeks for vacation and will be 32 weeks pregnant. Everything is going well and my OBGYN said she thinks it is fine to go. However I'm 42 so I'm considered "high risk" so there is a remote chance that I could go into labor early. I have insurance that will cover about 80-90% of the fees ( I would pay them out of pocket and with hope they will reimburse the 80-90%). I've been told to research a private facility (from my online research). But I’ve read that many deliveries end up in c-section (I wonder if they do this on purpose so to make more money?). I am surprised to hear a few mention high high the rate is in the USA as I don't recall many of my family and friends having one. I didn't have a c-section with my son so I can't imagine needing one a second time. I don't speak Spanish either (so faced with an emergency and a premie English would be so preferred). Since we will be staying in Cancun (hotel zone area) do you have any recommendations for me? Or where to go to get some?

Thank you so much!

Carol Anne Schmidt

7. Eshaw33

Eshaw33 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Carol, Did you ever get a response for this? I will be traveling to Cancun and I will be 34 weeks when I go and 35 weeks when I come back. I'm not too concerned but my family is so I wanted to get a lot of the questions you asked answered.

8. FakeNewsTeam

FakeNewsTeam It's a matter of time, but time is all we have! Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,598 / 13
    Just noticed her post was from 2011 so even if she did get any response it is most surely outdated.
    Much has changed in the last 8-9 years most likely in a good way.
    Hopefully, someone who has had the experience or knows the details will chime in and respond.

I would. and hopefully you are, following your doctor’s recommendations.
    Seems risky as just one touch from the “Mexican flu” might put you into labor due to all the pushing and vomiting, etc.
    I was not even pregnant and it certainly felt like I was or could be pushing out a baby!

Best wishes for a successful and uneventful trip.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice