Having a baby in cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by isa, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Ah ok V, I'm with you now.

No, we're not really interested in enrolling with IMSS. It's probably not worth the hassle nor cost of getting enrolled for the sake of a vaccination, I dont think we'd want to use IMSS for anything serious. Jannet and Dani have private insurance, Billy will have it next renewal and no one will insure me.

The Government have been running a TV campaign recently promising free vaccinations for all kids under 3 regardless of being enrolled or not and we thought we'd take advantage of that. Since Billy is Mexican and we pay quite a lot of taxes here didnt see any moral issues with taking a freebie if we could. He has had 3 vaccinations at IMSS already without being enrolled, it's just the expensive pneumococcal one that seems to be denied.

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Did anyone speak of delays in delivery of the pneumococcal vaccine to the FMUs? (I'm reminded of the speed with which the swine flu vaccines were delivered, here, last year). With the cost of this vaccine as high as it is, I'm surprised to hear of it being made widely available, but it would be in keeping with the aims of IMSS to encourage preventive care, and they may be anticipating an outbreak. However, there is frequently a gap between policy and actual delivery of services at IMSS- true anywhere, I know, but true nonetheless.

3. Mystic Drumz

Mystic Drumz Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey all! My wife and I just had a baby in July. We had our son at Galenia with Dr. Loya and have no complaints.... well other than the price. It is very expensive (especially being canadian and being used to getting it for free!) but we decided it was worth it for the peace of mind. Dr. Loya seems to be pro vaginal birth, but in the end we ended up with a C-section due an inapt pelvis. We also took prenatal classes with Ernestina at Bebe Valley in parque las palapas, we found them to be useful, empowering and they gave us a good idea of what to expect.

Congrats on all the moms to be, and recent moms too!!

Speaking of vaccines, we ended up paying a fortune for a couple of our sons vaccines recently because the IMSS didn't have them!! They say vaccines for all kids under 3, but they don't include the disclaimer of while sulpplies last! Be prepared for that possibility.

4. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Grats on the new baby Mystic!

Well, we ended up getting all the vaccines needed for our son at IMSS. I was all for giving up and going the private route but since my wife is Mexican she had other ideas. She borrowed her Mum's carnet (an old one without photo) and used that as her own.

Can't say I agree with it, but when in Rome.

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    This experience, Steve, would make me think their saying they had no vaccine available was just an excuse- so the employees you dealt with there could avoid saying directly that they were not going to provide it to you because you were not enrolled in IMSS, a possible violation of the policy of providing it, free, to all children under 3 YOA. Of course, there is finally no difference but they may have felt more comfortable with saying it that way.

Too bad we haven't heard from Isa, again: it sometimes happens this way on forums, we don't get to find out how things turned out.

6. Mystic Drumz

Mystic Drumz Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nope, not an excuse, my wife is also Mexican and has a valid carnet (as does my son) they didn't have the rotovirus and another one for over a month. As a result instead of getting it for free at 2 months, we ended up having to pay for it and administering the vaccine at 3 months

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    IMSS policy

Interesting, but since proof of enrollment was offered in both cases in which vaccines were administered, we still don't know if the employees were observing the stated IMSS policy of offering the vaccine to under 3 YOA children, even in cases in which their families were not enrolled- which would be very generous, indeed, considering the high cost of the vaccine.

IMSS, as a matter of policy, is very big on preventive care- consider their offer to treat anyone suffering symptoms of the flu, for example, last year when swine flu was an issue.

They are also very big on protecting mother-child health, as in their standing offer to treat any woman with symtoms of a crisis in their pregnancy, regardless of whether the patient is enrolled in IMSS.

8. Bcope

Bcope Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi,
    I'm new to the Forum but my husband and I are planning on moving to Mexico in November. I am pregnant and due late February. Several of you have mentioned Galenia hospital as being a good one but you mention it being a bit expensive. Would anyone mind being more specific? How much does a normal vaginal birth cost there, does anyone know?
    Thanks for your help!
    Barbara

9. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Around 35,000 pesos for a natural birth, around 42,000 for a caesarian as of a year ago.

The above is comprised of two elements, the hospital's charges and the paedatrician's charges so the second element especially may vary.

10. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    to further that debate, :) baby #2 (I had 4) was born at home (my last 3 were all homebirths) with the cord doubly wrapped around his neck. It was not an emergency and was handled very swiftly and easily upon presentation. The midwives were checking heart tones (for decels) during the entire labor and transition.

Baby #3 was born with a VERY short cord and she was born underwater so the midwives just kept her down low and calmly unlooped her and encouraged me to deliver the placenta so we could bring her up (it was a SHORT CORD :))

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice