Hairstylist

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by elleboogs, Nov 26, 2008.

1. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TJ, that's the area my husband gets his hair cut in. While on vacation in Cancun, that's where he went and he was LIVID that they raised their prices to 50 pesos.

His worst hair cut was from a place just behind our house on Chichen y La Costa. We had always suspected it was a front for prostitution, and his hair cut confirmed that for us.

No input here about getting a cut...I never got a good one in Cancun!

2. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hair

I go to a woman named Ulla, at Place Jadelle. She has been doing my hair for several years and I love her. She used to be at Joss Claude and I liked that place, but Place Jadelle is far less....stuffy. The prices are slightly higher at Place Jadelle, I think, but I like it more than Joss Claude. I've seen lots of nice cuts in Place Jadelle so know that Ulla certainly isn't the only good stylist there. Ulla speaks English and Spanish...and a few other languages too, I think.

3. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    I just had a cut in Plaza Kulkukan in the hotel zone. Its on the top floor and owned by a very fancy Italian guy- its not cheap but he is good.
    Tracey

4. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ulla cut my hair once and never again for good reason. She really wanted to do my hair curly for some reason and asked if she could. I said go for it. Well, she failed to mention that her doing that would cost 200 pesos more. Not cool. The cut wasn't great either.

Like I said, what's good for one person may not be great for the next. I find it's a trial and error thing. lol.

5. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Elizabeth,

She pretty much insisted doing your hair curly and then charged you a ton more for it?! Yikes! I practically have to beg her to dry/style my hair when I'm there. It's apparently an extra $100 pesos for that but I can't tell if I really like my haircut if it's NOT dry. I've always been pleased with her cuts...until my last cut. That was my fault though. I couldn't style it like she did and ended up looking like I was going to be performing with A Flock of Seagulls. To fix it, I opted for a cheapie cut at Yarreri and now I sort of like it again. I should know better than to pick a photo from one of those hairstyle books and say "I want THAT!". It never turns out like it looks in the photo. Live and learn.

But yes, I agree that one stylist might be great for one person and not for another. I've seen Jacques do some very pretty cuts at Place Jadelle. So cute that I've often thought of cheating on Ulla...but his chair is next to hers and she might notice. ;-)

6. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yup that's what happened!

I know lots of people have been happy at J'Adelle but I've also seen some nightmares come out of there too. Think leopard print highlights.

7. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jaques has been cutting my hair for almost 12 years, and I just had it cut on Sat. still happy.

8. elleboogs

elleboogs Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks everyone for your recommendations!!

I've narrowed it down to 2 choices - I'll let you know how it goes...

I have 1 major rule that I live by - If the stylist doesn't look like they can do their own hair, how can I trust them with mine??? !!!!

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've had terrible luck with gay male hairstylists. But straight male stylists seem to do a good job for me. Not sure why this is. But my favorite hairdresser is a total womanizer...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice