H1N1 Vaccine in Cancun?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by RiverGirl, Oct 22, 2009.

1. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We got our H1N1 vaccines today from the ISSSTE. Last week they told us to come in Monday (yesterday). Today they said they didn't have vaccine for the general public yet (they didn't say when they would, but soon). But they told us they were giving it to people who are high risk. So we convinced them that we are both high risk. We walked in expecting bureaucratic b.s. and we walked out 5 minutes later vaccinated. You do have to be enrolled in the ISSSTE to get it from them.

Airport workers were supposed to get the H1N1 vaccine last week. But apparently the whole thing was so badly organized that very few workers actually got it. Hopefully the public health officials will get it together and get more ppl there vaccinated.

2. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Interesting article:
    Swine flu: one foot in the grave-09 February, 2010

"09 February, 2010 Adjust font size:
    Swine flu: one foot in the grave
    Health officials are not ready yet to dismiss the worldwide threat of swine flu but the worst of it is over in the US, Canada and many other countries in the northern hemisphere, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).

But there is still intensive flu activity in Egypt, India and elsewhere, says Dr. Margaret Chan of WHO, which is a UN organization.

"It is too premature and too early for us to say we have come to an end of the pandemic influenza worldwide," the Director-General of WHO told reporters.

Health experts should monitor the disease for another six to 12 months, she said.

Her comments came after four weeks where no US states reported any flu cases.

There’s nothing new about warnings over swine flu. Back in 1976, there were estimates over one million Americans would die of the disease without vaccinations.

The swine flu pandemic could kill millions and cause anarchy in the world’s poorest nations, warned a United Nations report last year that asked for multi-million dollars in vaccinations. WHO predicted up to 50 million people could die from swine flu last year.

However, while 11,500 people are known to have died from the disease since the outbreak began in April, up to half a million people die each year from regular flu, according to government health statistics.

An estimated 70 million Americans were vaccinated against the flu strain with 50 million or more getting sick, says the AP. The vast majority recovered -- apparently from natural immunity.

Critics say warnings over swine flu were instrumental in promoting pharmaceutical sales.

Chan warned that the H1N1 swine flu virus can mutate into even more dangerous diseases.
    Health officials are now warning about a new strain called H5N1, which is more virulent swine flu under another name: “bird flu.”

A footnote: Chan acknowledged she had yet to get her own swine flu shot.

By David Wilkening"

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jim - The article you posted is from a travel news site. That source would appear to be biased toward early dismissal of the threat from H1N1.

5. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Rivergirl wrote:
    So the papers continue to say. The latest reported in the press was that they considered from 6-24 months, those who were pregnant, those with chronic diseases, and those 60 and above, to be at elevated risk. (Don't know how tightly this holds to the data, but that's what they're doing: the data shows those from about 25 to 50 to be at greatest risk, when all else is equal.)

Given the large numbers of people who die, every year, from the flu, world-wide, it still has to be considered prudent to have the shots, if they're available.

Rivergirl, have you gotten your "seasonal flu" shots, as well?

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I do not have my seasonal flu shot, not yet anyway. I'm much more worried about being vaccinated against h1n1 as it seemed to hit people my age right in the lungs. But I should get the regular flu shot too. Hubby got the seasonal flu shot last Sept or so, at work.

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I went by Hospital General, yesterday, to see if the situation regarding availability of the H1N1 vaccine had changed. Unfortunately, it has not: the hospital had signs everywhere announcing the availability of the vaccine, for free, but only to those in high risk categories, mainly very young children (6-24 months of age), pregnant women, and any with chronic diseases including asthma, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc., up to age 64.

Hospital General is a large charity hospital operated by the state, and open to all who are resident, here (as contrasted with IMSS and ISSTE, for example, which have limited subscription). If you go to get the vaccine, be sure to bring proof of your residency in Mexico, and proof of your home address, as you will have to register in the public health system.

Hospital General, Cancun, is located at SM 65, Andador 5, between 12 y 13; just east of Av. Tulum, and just north of Lopez Portillo.

8. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So WHY would you rely on a travel site for information about a disease? I don't get that. It's not logical.

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Looks like the supply situation is continuing to improve. The immunization program, first mentioned on this thread by Cancuncanuck, in which she reported shots were being given the school children of Cancun, by IMSS employees, has apparently been expanded to older students up to the university level.

IMSS personel were at University del Caribe (a State of Quintana Roo institution, and the largest university in Cancun, by enrollment), giving H1N1 injections, for free, to all who could present evidence of being enrolled there. The offer was also extended to the teachers and others on the staff.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice