H1N1 Vaccine in Cancun?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by RiverGirl, Oct 22, 2009.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Uhmm, that's too bad, I thought he might have heard something beyond what I've been hearing about it. The time has to be soon that this stuff gets to be generally available, here, as it is in the U.S. and Europe, already. I just may find time this coming week to drop by the public health to see what they can tell me.

2. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I dropped by one of the neighborhood branches of the Public Health Service and was told in a most unequivocal manner that the vaccine against H1N1 is now available to all who are residents of Quintana Roo. They added that the only place it was being administered was at the main Public Health Clinic, on the territory of the General Hospital, spoken of earlier on this thread, with details about where it's located.

Positive confirmation of this information can only come from someone going there and asking to have the shot.

Edit: I went by the General Hospital on 17 Feb to check on the information I'd been given, above: as suspected, the information was incorrect, and the shots are still limited to those in high risk categories

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  3. YessicaBB

YessicaBB Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just got my flu shot, from a regional IMSS clinic, I just had to wait in line for 30 minutes and present my IMSS booklet. So I think all regional clinics must be doing the same. They said they are will do it every day till they have none left.

4. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Good for you, Yessica, for getting your flu shot!

I wonder if you'd mind looking at the shot record and seeing if they notated what kind of vaccine it was: I was in General Hospital, Zone 3, just a few days ago. There was a line for shots there, too. I asked the person giving the shots if it was for H1N1, or seasonal flu, and they told me it was for seasonal flu, and that H1N1 was not available to members of IMSS, generally- information that was then confirmed by one of the doctors I spoke with there. However, this situation is in flux, so please look, and let us know what they wrote in your booklet.

5. YessicaBB

YessicaBB Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    <sigh>

I don't need to look but thank you for telling me to do so, just like CancunCanuk knew that it was IMSS at her sons school.

BUT Thank you anyway

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Hi, Yessica, and thanks for replying back so quickly. But, it's possible you didn't catch what I was asking, which was not whether it was IMSS, but whether it was a vaccination against N1H1 (swine flu), or against the seasonal flu. (All you said was you'd gotten your "flu" shot, so I wanted to know which it was, if you knew, or if you could look at the shot record to see what the doctor wrote there.)

We've known flu shots were available, but been interested in knowing when shots for the swine flu (N1H1) would become available, something rather different. Sorry if I appear a little dense.

V.

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I contacted Yessica and she did in fact get the H1N1 vaccine from the IMSS clinic on Nichupte. She is enrolled at IMSS.

Cancun Airport workers are being told they will receive the H1N1 vaccine within the next week. That likely means it will happen within the next month.

ISSSTE is told us today that they will begin giving H1N1 vaccine to members on Monday.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2010
  8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    That's excellent, Rivergirl, and it can't be that long before the private hospitals and clinics will be getting their hands on some, as well. Did you ever manage to get the vaccine, yourself?

9. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    My poor daughter has swine flu and she is feeling very sick indeed. Before anyone panics she is in the UK.
    She was offered anti virals but told they only work in the first 24 hours of symptoms and the only thing she can do is stay in bed , rest , drink fluids and take nurofen.

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    TraceyUK, the swine flu, as well as seasonal flu, are circulating here, as everywhere. I've had two students come down with swine flu in the last two months. We're getting exposed wherever we go, whether we know it or not.

I caught the flu from my barber, in December, who was working sick: never knew what kind of flu it was, but once I got passed the fever stage I felt the need to sleep all the time- I mean, like 20 hours/day- for about four days; then, I just felt extra tired for another ten days, or so, having to rest in bed part of each day. It was a mild case....

As for when to go to the hospital if you have symptoms, I would say any degree of shortness of breath should be responded to, immediately. And what you said about Tamiflu is exactly in keeping with what I know about it: it's only useful on day one, or two, following the very first symptoms of flu. It can be bought over the counter, in Cancun, apparently.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice