Guns on college campuses

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by mikel, Feb 21, 2011.

1. B & B

B & B Guru Registered Member

The Hub of the Niagara Pennisula, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I am probably wrong here and will probably piss you off even more over this comment, but, if memory serves correct and I am not going to bother doing the research, the guy that did the Virginia Tech massacre, did he not get his gun a few weeks prior to his rampage? I think he had the background checks and everything done, fingerprints, background check, 30 day waiting period, etc.

2. ibesarcasm

ibesarcasm Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Yep..... your first five words are the only thing correct in your statement... you are wrong. This guy did not pass a background check, only an NCIC for wants, warrants, convictions or outstanding violations. No fingerprint check, and no waiting period. These are ALL required for a CCW permit. The serial numbers were filed off the weapons. The guy had a mental history and took special education classes in school. The professors were concerned with his writings and requested he get mental evaluations/help. This was NOT a law abiding citizen.... can you see that is the point?? Laws prevent law abiding persons from getting guns, not retards, felons, and general dirtbags! I like how liberals can spew things out saying " I'm not sure, but I heard..." just be a parrot and repeat the things you like without checking facts..... it's just way too hard to google the report on the shooting to gather the facts since the facts dont support what was heard.
    So that being said..... while your spending your time wondering if more gun laws would of prevented the killing of 33 people, why don’t you spend some time wondering if only 25% of that campus was carrying a weapon legally (which means they had shooting courses, background checks, and probably practiced regularly like 90% of CCW holders do) would the person been able to kill 33 people?? Or would he have been shot dead himself after firing a few rounds?? But than that would not have made such a great story for the gun control group. Notice they never spout facts of persons STOPPING a crime while armed? (like I did above) They can only tell you how everyone would be shooting randomly, killing innocent women and children, robbing stores and car jacking people....... cause thats what people with guns do!!
    I'm sorry, I take it personal when someone lumps me in with the felons, retards, and criminally insane! I have passed my background, I shoot regularly to keep my skills up, and I have purchased my firearms legally. And while you might run screaming like a girl, knocking people down to get out of your way, I'll be heading TOWARDS the shooter with the means and intent of keeping me, my family, and you and your family, as well as any innocent by standers safe from harm. Because THAT is what it means to be armed with the ability to prevent loss of life, and is the foundation of the good old USA!! We just dont roll over and take it in the shorts........

3. B & B

B & B Guru Registered Member

The Hub of the Niagara Pennisula, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    LOLOLOL, i cannot just laugh out loud once at the absuridy of your statements.

You are a latecomer to discussions we have had over the years, and you are getting personal spewing some venom.

We have noticed over the years that there is a big, make it a huge, difference between thinking in the US and thinking in Canada, Britian, Mexico, etc, places where gun control exists.

It doesn't mean I am wrong and you are right, it doesn't even mean you are wrong and I am right, it is just a difference in our cultures. And because I live in Canada and don't have a need to carry a gun, and have trouble fathoming why you need to carry one, although I am beginning to grudgingly admit that you probably do need one, it does not make me a bleeding heart liberal anymore than it makes you a gun toting fanatic.

The foundation of the Good Old USA, we have disucssed that one in the past as well, your patriotism on your sleeve is admired, but it doesn't make you in a better place, or in a worst place. It just makes you in a different place.

Curious with your statement though, and your obvious much better understanding of the law. So the guy in Virginia didn't pass those checks that you were talking about, how was he able to legally purchase a gun. I don't know about this CCW thing and that other thingy, and this and that, and No, to my detriment and your pleasure, I did not do the research and all that stuff, but for the bottom line, how did he legally purchase a gun?

4. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Holy cow... I thought this thread was dead by now...

I can see the point of having a gun to protect one self and ones family, but its like a circle: Criminals get guns, easily, off the streets. "Normal" people buy guns to protect themselves against the criminals. Criminals get bigger/stronger guns, normal people do the same... etc etc.

Kind of feels like a race... A bad one, that is.

Wouldnt it have been a good idea to NOT flood the country with firearms to begin with..?

Watched a documentary about the Narco-wars here in Mexico last year. The DEA guy featured in the documentary, showed stats that some 8 or 9 out of 10 firearms used by Mexican cartels, had been legally bought in the US.

Apparently there isnt even any law requiring the original buyer to declare if he: Gives his gun away as a gift, loses it or sells it...

The gun-shops at the border were raking in plentiful of $$$, thats for sure.

One guy said "Its because Mexico has gun-control laws that these Narco-wars are going on!". That made me laugh.

Anyways, not trying to start anything, as I find this discussion fairly interesting overall.

Lets just say that Im happy that I grew up in Stockholm, where the most hazardous thing I had to watch out for when studying, was a punch or a kick at the most.

I do realize that each and every country have different values, upbringings etc, so I do NOT mean to offend anyone. Hope thats clear.

5. ibesarcasm

ibesarcasm Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Your ARE correct it that, B & B..... it is a difference of culture and in how our countries were founded. I just am determined to NOT let my government have its way will me..... that is the foundation of the bill of rights, and of our Constitution.
    To answer your question though, lies within our Constitution. That is every state is its own entity, and each citizen is a sovern subject, not a subject of the King or Queen like the Monarchy we left and fought to escape. So each state has their own rules for gun purchase. In Colorado, I fill out a form, check some boxes, state is all true, and they run an NCIC. Just like VA did. One of the questions is "do you have, or have you ever been treated for a mental illness?" Obviously the guy lied.... which is what criminals do. Other than the VA shooting, the guy had a clean record just like you and I probably do, and was able to obtain the firearm
    With a Concealed Carry Permit, I AM required to fill out a background form, give fingerprints, and it takes a bit for them to research my information. Criminals don’t go get a Concealed Carry Permit (CCW). Our country was founded by revolution, and in such, our founding fathers deemed it necessary to insert such things as the bill of rights into the Constitution to prevent our government from oppressing the citizens like the government we came from. So as such, we (the US) grew up defending our rights as sovern citizens with firearms. Had there not been firearms, it would have been knifes and spears.
    I don’t begrudge your culture, and your free to live how you see fit….. all I’m asking is that you not impress upon my way of life what you deem appropriate for yours. If you don’t choose to own or carry a gun, don’t tell me I should not as well. (and by YOU I don’t mean you personally, I mean EVERYONE who wants to subject their will on others)
    And to answer your question rawkus…… if the government didn’t allow the dealings of the narco-gangs, and the “drug war” there would be no need to have things like the DEA, and ATF, and BATF. It’s a MONEY issue….not a CRIME issue. If it wasn’t for criminals doing criminal activities, there would be no need for the government to take the rights from law abiding citizens, to confiscate millions of dollars, and to seize property of the criminals. (which they sell and make money from) And they just cant have that....now can they......

6. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Corruption gos DEEP in Mexico(and many other countries, including developed 1st world countries...), thats for sure and thats the biggest problem with all of this.

The second largest problem, if you ask me, is the "need" for drugs north of the border... Americans demand them - Colombians, Bolivians, Mexicans etc. deliver.

Like my friend in Arizona(shes a police officer since 11 years) says: "Guns and money goes south, drugs go north." Mexico is unfortunate to be the last stop for the drugs before they enter US.

This is a problem between many different countries, and it really p*sses me off when many say "Let Mexico deal with THEIR problems".

What can Mexico and the South American countries do, and what can US do?

One great idea would be stop selling high-caliber firearms that go south of the border within hours to a few days.

The scary thing is that its not "only" regular guns, but stuff that the US military uses in Iraq, Afghanistan etc. 50 caliber machine-guns, mounted on Hummers is not all too uncommon up north in Tamaulipas, C Juarez etc. Unfortunately, I should say.

So, to try to keep it short: Why do Americans feel the need to consume vast quantities of various drugs? Whats the REAL issue amongst the population? What is being done to stop it BEFORE it gets out of hand?

Thats my same question with guns in general: How come it has come so far that you guys need to arm yourselves to feel safe? How come kids "go all the way" regarding school-shootings? If they are/have been bullied, is there any kind of safety-net to pick them up BEFORE they decide to end it like we have seen?

Seems that US, in some ways, skip part 1 of the problem, and instead wait till "later on" to try to fix the damage that has already been done.

Silly comparison, but it makes sens in some way: If your boat leaks - sure, one can empty it every half hour with a bucket, but the best part would be to pull it up on land, go through the whole thing and then fix the leak in a proper way. ;)

Im just throwing out thoughts - nothing is meant to insult anyone, at all.

7. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Pro guns! Never leave home without it

8. jeff & deb

jeff & deb I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0
    [ame="&feature=player_detailpage"]YouTube - ‪This Is My Rifle. This Is My Gun‬‏

Just so we are all clear on the difference, glad to hear you don't leave home without it..
    LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  9. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice