Guns and Grenade Launchers

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by T.J., Mar 11, 2008.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is scary.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/03/11/america/LA-GEN-Mexico-Cancun-Guns.php

Where is "The Waves"? I don't think I have heard of it.

A few days ago I saw all these FEPA trucks flying down the road toward the HZ. Later they had a traffic stop at the light in front of Costco. The agents, or whatever they are called, all had masks and automatic weapons. I guess they were "profiling" and I did not fit the bill so I was waived through. When I got to the light at La Luna it was red and I was stopped next to a FEPA pickup truck with two agents in the front and two in the back. At the risk of getting jerked out of my car and tossed on the ground I asked them what they were looking for. "Armas y drogas" was the answer. I thanked them for the info and was on the way as the light changed.

2. 4NSPY

4NSPY Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "The Waves" are Las Olas condos.

3. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What really irritates me about these things is that....
    The guns are almost always police and military issue weapons that "somehow" :roll: end up in the hands of the drug traffickers and lowlifes. Yet they can never seem to track these guns back to the person who signed them out. :roll: Which makes me feel like they really don't want to stop the cycle of violence that goes on between the drug gangs.

I'm not a complete idiot and realize that there are obviously cops and military folks involved with the guns ending up in the hands of these guys but I just cant understand how it could be so difficult to track them or that the police would allow guns to "disappear" so easily.... or for that matter have a police truck "stolen" (but not noticed till after the shooting) for a drive by shooting then have it conveniently returned the next day as happened a few weeks back.

My opinion is that it would be best to completely disband the Cancun police forces and replace them with military from other parts of Mexico while new officers are trained and put into place as obviously the ones that are here are both ineffective and too comfortable with the status quo.

O' and it wouldn't hurt to put cameras in all of the patrol cars too, but we all know that will never happen. :?

4. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "The police suspect the weapons were linked to organized crime but no arrests had been made"

Surprise!

Now they can just sieze the guns and grenades and do more business with them.

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    One of the main problems here is that the airport in Cancun is the 2nd busiest in the country. All that activity is a good cover for the weapons, drugs and people being smuggled through there. And on top of the airport's extracurricular activities we've got miles of coastline here in case you need to move something by boat.

Cancun is strategically located, it's close to both Cuba and Miami. Make no mistake, the mafias that are running stuff through Cancun are not just local cops, their network is international and very strong and won't be broken by a few personnel changes.

6. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It was not at Las Olas it was at Punta Cancun different Condos.

7. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Local papers say the condos at Punta Cancun and international papers say Las Olas. I wonder which is true.

8. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It was Punta Cancun I know the owner of the condo and He was the one tha discovered the weapons when the rent was overdue and the Rentee had disappeared.

9. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks--I figured someone had to know someone who knew!! Depending on papers in CAncun is like--well, depending on papers everyhwere I guess!! :)
    Greetings from Liverpool.

10. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    England or the store? :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice