Gun Control???

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by B & B, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Brewster

Brewster I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Here’s something to ponder.

A few years ago Tom Sellick was a guest on Rosy O’Donnell, promoting his new movie. Rosy took about 3 seconds to attack him for being a spokesman for the NRA. He said he wasn’t. She said he was and had seen him on a TV ad for the NRA. He said, that doesn’t make me a spokesman…I was paid to do an ad…I’m an actor.

Columbine was fairly recent and she wouldn’t let up…calling him names and everything.

Eventually, he said this:

Look. You want to talk about guns and all the deaths in our schools and everything? Think about this. Guns were just as available in the 1950’s as they are today. But in those days kids didn’t take them to school to shoot other kids. This is not just about the availability of guns. It’s about what is going on today, compared to the 50’s, that brings a kid to even think about doing that?

I think it's a brilliant point. What is going on today?

Hip Hop, Rap music glorifying gangsters and violence...women are all "bitches"? Movies and TV and computer games full of violence? 24 hour media that goes on for days about the most recent massacre?

2. backs13

backs13 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    I agree with ya.....EDUCATION....I typed a big long thing after the education part, but erased it in fear of cancuncare riot hahaha kidding

3. us2933

us2933 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 0
    On our way.......................new york, new york

4. us2933

us2933 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 0
    I won't rise to this as I have already apologised for the tone of my comments.

5. B & B

B & B Guru Registered Member

The Hub of the Niagara Pennisula, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Jim

Share your full opinion, we'll still let you come to Niagara Falls, promise...
    :)

6. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My first question whenever someone starts bragging about their guns is.... "you sure you're not just overcompensating for something else?" :D

I've stayed outta this as long as I can stand it....

My 2 cents;

Gun's don't kill people, people kill people = True (but guns sure make it easy)

"Law abiding citizens" should be able to have whatever guns they want.. ok.. so you agree thats law abiding is a good thing.. so long as its not laws about what guns you can have..... :confused:

I speak from the perspective of having a member of my family killed with a gun... I don't blame the gun.. I blame the guy who fired the gun... I don't think guns are inherently bad, I've owned them and used them (recreationally) and can understand having one for self defense, and perhaps others for hunting, target shooting, etc., but anyone who thinks they will need an assault weapon in the US, is a little unstable and therefore dangerous IMHO. Anyone with the "shoot first, ask questions later" mentality shouldn't own firearms. I think many people who have gun collections suffer from insecurities in other areas of life and like the feeling of power they get carrying/owning lots of guns. Anyone who carries a gun hoping for or anticipating the opportunity to "use" it (ie: shoot someone).... again.. shouldn't own firearms. I do believe in the right to own guns.. but I think mandatory physiological screenings should be required every few years if you want anything more than the basic home-defense or hunting variety of guns or large numbers of firearms. I also think that EVERYONE should be required to complete a REAL training program.. (ie: not your 2 hour hunter safety course) before being allowed to own a gun. I do think there is such a thing as a responsible gun owner, and that guns can be handled and kept in a safe way, but the problem is IMO far too many gun owners are NOT responsible and who don't have enough respect for human life to be entrusted with such an easy method of taking one.

7. backs13

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    I am one of the funny ones on this debate, cuz I can actually see both sides, I think this is a debate where most would agree on a common ground if it wasnt so fun to debate haha....I think gun control and education is great, not taking the guns away , but education and training requirements as well as the backround checks....theres a few things in the US society that is weird....we need courses and test to get a permit to drive, then have to take another test to get a liscense, but just need to sign some forms to get a gun.......A soldier can go to War at 18, but cant drink a beer in US.......Again, im on all sides of this debate, so I wont be able to spark either side, the only thing that worries me on most weekends is that I work as part of a security team at some of the local bars in my area, we are not allowed to be armed in any way, but i must say, it worries me more and more about what some of the drunk nutcases that we throw out will come back in with.....
    It happened last summer, My softball team was having its end of the year party at the local pub that I work at, a rather drunk guy decides he wants to pull out his pistol and start showing it to the people next him, I kindly just asked him to not be waving a pistol around the bar ... (I even went as far as to tell him in a way that wouldnt or shouldnt aggravate him, I said that by him waving around his pistol he may entice someone that didnt have good intentions with theirs to pull theirs out).....needless to say, he was not thrilled with me at all, it turned into him threatening me with it, then saying I was trying to take his rights away from him, to the point we had to call the cops cuz he waited in the parking lot......
    Now I understand most are responsible with their weapons and that is why im on both sides and understand both sides, but its gotten to the point at least in New York, ya never know who has a gun , and a drunk person is the last person I or anyone wants to see with a weapon.......and would you know , nothing happened to that guy.....if he got into his car and just sat in it with out even moving, just had the keys in it, it would have been a DWI, but waving a gun around in a public bar drunk, apparently is fine ..............just part of my mumbling...sorry to bore ya with my story, but that kind of thing bugs me

8. backs13

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Actually I just had some of the guys from Germany that I met last march at Temptations come to New York last week and I was able to show them around the big city....If you guys ever want to come to New York I would love to be your tour guide.....

9. Brewster

Brewster I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

Just may take you up on that some day, Jim. Kim's never been to the Big Apple and it's been years since I have.

Quick story about baby seals. First time I visited Newfoundland I went into a souvenir shop and ended up buying my daughter a toy stuffed baby seal. I said to the clerk that was helping me, "My daughters going to love playing with this......hey do you sell baseball bats too?" He didn't think it was funny....

10. backs13

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    I would be more then happy to show you guys around, I live in a great place, its about 40 minutes above the city, im in the middle of everything, but I still have cows and farms around me lol....but I get to the city all the time for work and recreation......that is a funny story, thats why there is a stuffed animal in my profile picture, A guy I met on a trip to Temptations a few years ago had it, His daughter had given it to him so that he could do what they did on that verizon commercial, where the guy would take pictures of his kids teddy bear where ever he was in the world and send him the pictures, well the guy I met from canada had that penquin and he was documenting his trip and all the fun things and people by pictures of it with the penquin in the picture and sending them to his daughter,....so i was lucky enough to be a fun part of his trip and was able to share a beer with the penquin ha ha

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice