Gun Control???

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by B & B, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    OK.. you made me laugh.. :)

But I've been here thinking.. I know a dangerous thing to do while sober... but I come to CC to laugh and get ready to party iwth my friends. I've found myself over the last few months having these great debates with people that really aren't accomplishing anything but getting me stressed and that is not what I come to CC for at all.

Stess relief.. that's the ticket.

So i am going to try and refrain from reading posts that don't have to do with TTR, parties, sexy women, pretty pictures, Cancun fun, friends (both old, new, and those I've yet to make), and things along those lines.

It's not that I don't care, it's that I care too much and get worked up to the point where I'm on here posting about this stuff like gun control, health care, and the world's problems rather than talking to my wife and that just sucks.

So I ain't gonna do it anymore. :)

Talk to me about the good stuff instead. :flash:

Jamie

2. Brewster

Brewster I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Sealing takes place in Newfoundland, where there is virtually no industry. The fisheries, which was their mainstay has been decimated with over fishing by us and European nations. Did you know that there are two small islands of the coast of Newfoundland that are French territory? You need a passport to visit them. They kept the territory to secure fishing rights.

So the government is reluctant to halt sealing, because it's one of the last means of earning a living there. There are a lot of seals and they grow up to eat tons of fish but I'm sure most Canadians would rather see the use a humane method of dispatching them.

3. Brewster

Brewster I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Couldn't agree more...lol. Thanks for your insight :)

4. jmg944t

jmg944t Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would certainly agree with the sentiment, needless suffering is exactly that.

5. B & B

B & B Guru Registered Member

The Hub of the Niagara Pennisula, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    My intentions are not to flag the US in any way, state or form. The US is a great country with great people and they have developed from scratch an almost unparalled existance in the history of mankind.

However, it is an "almost unparalled" existance which means it is not the only excellent existance. I would view most or all "1st world countries" as also having an unparalled existance.

Being your little brother and living in your shadow for years, I can unequivaclolly (sp?) state with 95% accuracy that I know more about your country than you know about mine. Your media controls our media, all of your national news networks we recieve up here, USA today is reeadily available if I want to get it. All of your national magazines are available up here.

It is unprecedented in the history of the world the influence you have over us without owning or absorbing us. That being said, not everything you do would work for us. For so long the questions have been asked
    "Free health care", "Gun Control", "mandatory helmets on motorcycles", etc, ad nauseum. Everything you do that is good or great or indifferent is thrown in our faces.

When the terrorist attacks of 9/11 ocurred, George Bush went on an international stage and in order to Rally the world to your side he mentioned every country that someone was from who died in the world trade centres, I can remember him to this day, Britian, Greece, Italy, etc., every country in the world except for Canada??

Some of all that is now coming back across the fence not to throw it in your face but to say, "hey it works over here".

And again, I prefaced everything by saying, it works for us, but I am not saying it would work for you. I also prefaced my original statement with a comment regarding the original picture that said this makes one emotionally enraged but realistically how practical is it??

As far as the US goes, you are a fantastic country and I would never say otherwise. I hope nothing I said in this post came across wrong as I am trying to say, you are great...but so are we.

Up until recently Canadians would not show the patriotism that is so prevalent in your country. Lately we have finally begun to stand up and acknowledge that we are a great country and have a lot to be proud of and no can or should take that away from us.

6. B & B

B & B Guru Registered Member

The Hub of the Niagara Pennisula, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Ok Jamie, I can let stuff go to...if that is your intention. Looking back most of the political debates are started by yourself or Zackman, and if Zackman starts them, then you contribute to them.

Look at "the ant and the grasshopper", "politically charged bumper stickers", "IRS data on taxes", those were 3 of yours within the last 6 months, and that doesn't count Zackman's in which you were a heavy contributor.

If you don't want these debates, don't start them, and I will refrain from answering them as well.

Now what is Steve's quote on how we end these debates...:)

:flash::beer4::mexicoflag:

7. Rich/Lynn

Rich/Lynn Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I really don't think the article below proves anything about gun control, but it's kind of interesting (www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1818862/posts):

Gun Ownership Mandatory In Kennesaw, Georgia
    Crime Rate Plummets
    by Chuck Baldwin
    The New American magazine reminds us that March 25th marked the 16th anniversary of Kennesaw, Georgia's ordinance requiring heads of households (with certain exceptions) to keep at least one firearm in their homes.
    The city's population grew from around 5,000 in 1980 to 13,000 by 1996 (latest available estimate). Yet there have been only three murders: two with knives (1984 and 1987) and one with a firearm (1997). After the law went into effect in 1982, crime against persons plummeted 74 percent compared to 1981, and fell another 45 percent in 1983 compared to 1982.
    And it has stayed impressively low. In addition to nearly non-existent homicide (murders have averaged a mere 0.19 per year), the annual number of armed robberies, residential burglaries, commercial burglaries, and rapes have averaged, respectively, 1.69, 31.63, 19.75, and 2.00 through 1998.
    With all the attention that has been heaped upon the lawful possession of firearms lately, you would think that a city that requires gun ownership would be the center of a media feeding frenzy. It isn't. The fact is I can't remember a major media outlet even mentioning Kennesaw. Can you?
    The reason is obvious. Kennesaw proves that the presence of firearms actually improves safety and security. This is not the message that the media want us to hear. They want us to believe that guns are evil and are the cause of violence.
    The facts tell a different story. What is even more interesting about Kennesaw is that the city's crime rate decreased with the simple knowledge that the entire community was armed. The bad guys didn't force the residents to prove it. Just knowing that residents were armed prompted them to move on to easier targets. Most criminals don't have a death wish. There have been two occasions in my own family when the presence of a handgun averted potential disaster. In both instances the gun was never aimed at a person and no shot was fired.

8. backs13

backs13 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 1

I was just reading and never posting in this debate, but that is funny as hell right there, no matter country your from.....lol

9. Masada

Masada Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Cars kill far more people than guns, should we put limits on how many cars are allowed on the roads? Limits on how big of a car you can drive?

10. us2933

us2933 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 0
    Have you ever stopped and wondered why the terroists hate America so much? Surely if you didn't try to rule and police the world they'd leave you alone.
    Americans also forget they funded terroists for years and years in Northen Ireland and Afganistan plus we all know the rumours of funding to factions in Iran. Since you had a horrific terroist strike against you (really sorry for bringing it up) your suddendly holyer than thow. You didn't give two shits when the IRA was killing innocent brits, you just gave them more money. Hypocrits is the only word to describe it.
    If you (and the british goverment) kept their noses out of everyone elses bussiness then life would be a lot easier for us all. I know people may be suffering in other countrys but I'm fed up of our men and women fighting a war they will never ever win and dieing while trying to protect people that don't even want them there.
    You got your arses kicked in Asia many years ago and haven't lifted a finger to help those still suffering in those countrys and now your (along with the british) doing the same in afganistan and iraq. When will you concentrate on looking after your own people?????????????????

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice