Gun Control???

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by B & B, Mar 23, 2010.

1. glenn/monique

glenn/monique Titties n Beer Registered Member

Ratings:
    +423 / 1
    Well for us canadians it's vitamin d and it does our muscles good.:rainfro:

2. 4biddenpleasrs

4biddenpleasrs I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Knives were actually created to cut things not to kill things.. The purpose of a steak knife is to cut steak... butter knife for butter, etc.

when the first caveman broke a piece of slate and made the first knife it was used for cutting.

This is not a logical debate. You out of everyone here that's posted has made the most inane comments comparing guns to cars and knives.

Plus I would rather see people try to kill someone else with a knife. It's not that easy and a hell of a lot more personal than a gun.

I really tried to keep from getting angry while talking about this subject but YOU make it extremely difficult.

To everyone else that I've talked to on this, thank you for listening to what I have to say and sharing your point of view on this.

3. jeff & deb

jeff & deb I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0
    Please don't get angry
    We're all here for a good time
    Not a long time.

4. Masada

Masada Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Actually knives were created long before cavemen, 2.6 million years ago in the Afar region of Ethiopia. I'm glad that you know exactly when and why a knife was created. Apparently you know more than most historians.

It is a purely logical debate. Let's get this straight, you believe that all guns are bad because the gun in and of itself was created to kill...right? But a car even though it kills more people than all guns combined is ok because it was not created to kill. So with that rationale would you then say that a drunk driver that killed a family in a car accident should not be held as accountable as someone who kills a family with a gun? A car in the wrong hands is just as much a weapon as a gun is in the wrong hands. So again why are you not advocating for a ban on cars?

5. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Canadian Dos Equis fan Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man Registered Member

Ratings:
    +176 / 0
    If I may step in on this point and no disrespect Masada but I think the point that was as far as I can tell, is that guns are designed with one purpose. To take something that is alive and make it dead. Cars are designed to transport goods or people from one place to another.

IF you agree that people need to be qualified and proficient in handling a car; licensing, registering and insuring them shouldn't guns be subject to at least as much applicable oversight because they are designed to cause damage?

I wouldn't want someone who wants to disregard speed limits, signs etc behind the wheel of a Corvette and I wouldn't want someone who isn't responsible to be carrying around a firearm.

Guns in themselves aren't bad but doesn't it make logical sense that you shouldn't have one if you aren't capable of handling the responsibility? In my eyes this is no different than denying someone who gets DUI's, drives recklessly, causes accidents etc. the ability to drive. I think it's safe to say that many Canadians like myself see gun control not as a method of denying liberties to our citizens but a way to limit access to unreasonably powerful weapons for most people who don't need them or to keep them from people that simply shouldn't have them in the first place (ie. criminals or people with significant mental illness).

And I know that the 2nd ammendment of your constitution gives you as an American citizen the right to bare arms. Our constitution does not have an equivalent. Culturally we are different on this issue, neither is better nor worse.

All we have are our opinions.

6. Rich/Lynn

Rich/Lynn Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sounds familiar. My grandfather was poor and hunted to supplement food for his family. When my father, who's 82 now, was a youngster, one of his father's rifles was passed on to him. Because of the memories of hunting with his father, it was a one of my father's most prized possessions. He recently passed the rifle on to me. It must be over 100 years old now, and has seen better days. I don't hunt... tried it once and did not enjoy it, but there is no way I would ever get rid of this rifle, except to pass it on to my own son someday.

7. us2933

us2933 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 0
    Would love to know where you get your info from, the first part of your statement is spot on. Knife crime has gone through the roof over here. But I watch the news every day and read several newspapers and I've not seen anything regarding whats written in bold here.
    If your caught carrying a knife it can get you a prison sentence, thats how serious they are taking it. You don't even have to use it.

8. Masada

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    First 'anti-stab' knife to go on sale in Britain - Times Online

"
    The knife is expected to sell for around £40-50 and has been tested with “very favourable” results by the Home Office’s Design and Technology Alliance - set up to research products that can deter crime."

9. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Canadian Dos Equis fan Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man Registered Member

Ratings:
    +176 / 0
    And your point is? At one time somebody invented the safety razor. It's not like the straight razor was ever actually banned for shaving. If I had kids this is something I would consider buying to reduce the possibility of them accidentally stabbing themselves.

10. Masada

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Apparently you didn't bother to read my post

What's next, stab proof pens or pencils? Stab proof nails? Where does it stop? Now that guns are banned in Britain, criminals have resorted to knives, and as mentioned in previous posts knife crime has gone up tremendously. If Britain decides to ban knives, or make them stab proof there are a multitude of other items that can harm/kill a person. So what would criminals use next? Sharp pens?, Nails? Then what a ban on pens?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice