Grand Oasis ***** AI

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Steve, Jan 23, 2005.

1. TeriA

TeriA Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Grand Oasis for May '07

Headed down to the Grand in May for our 25th anniversary. Have any improvements been made or changes since last June? When we were there, in the phase 3 building they were putting in an elevator. Wondering if it is done, and if the beachside spa is open, and the fitness center.

And what about the activities, like dancing at night other than at the up and down club. Have they added anything like that? Wish they would. It would be so much fun to have a place that has dancing by the ocean that is romantic. You can go just about anywhere in Cancun and find a party atmosphere with plenty of upbeat music, but, to find a romantic place has proved impossible for us. If anyone has some suggestions, please, tell me. :?:

2. onovac

onovac Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rooms and upgrades

Hi I had a question about rooms at the GO cancun:
    I booked for Feb 17-24 2008 at at Grand a standard garden view.
    -Where exactly are these rooms? I heard that the Grand is basically, the main pyramid + the 2 front beach buildings on only 1 floor. Which floor is that?
    -Is it worth upgrading to a beach front room or the main pyramid?
    -How much would the upgrade be for that week in either the pyramid or ocean front room?
    -Does tipping at check in help to get a better room? How much should we tip?
    -Where is the Oasis section and how do we make sure that they do not put us there if we paid for the Grand?
    -We are traveling with a 1 year old and was wondering if the elevators work fine if we are on upper floors?
    -Where is the reserved grand beach section exactly?
    Thanks in advance for your answers

3. TeriA

TeriA Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I can see by your travel dates that you have been there and back, but, just in case someone else has the same question, here is my understanding of the situation regarding which buildings are what.

The main pyramid is the Grand Oasis Resort. There are three resorts on the property that are seperately managed. According to what the employees have told us, they have very little to do with the employees in the other two resorts, and rarely see each other except when coming and going for work. The Oasis Cancun is the resort that is situated the farthest East on the property, and is made up of two buildings that have rooms facing north and south. The top floors of these buildings are also used by the Grand Oasis resort for guests requesting rooms outside of the main pyramid or when there are no available rooms in the main pyramid. At the West end of the property is another Oasis Cancun resort, not sure if there is a name change on this one but believe there is. Anyway, this resort is also made up of two buildings with rooms facing north and south and again, the top floors are also used by the Grand Oasis. If you want an oceanfront room, you will be put in the farthest south buildings of one of the two outer resorts. That does not mean that there will not be guests from the outer resorts on those top floors.

The outer buildings are sometimes a bit rough, as far as leftover damage from either the storms, from age, or most likely, from being abused by guests. There is much less damage in the resort to the west of the pyramid than in the east buildings, possibly due to the fact that the east buildings are the least expensive on the property, and are largely populated by college aged kids. The west end resort is largely made up of families, and travelers not willing to pay more to have the Grand Oasis package.

The west end buildings are getting a lot of improvements that are not being done to the east end buildings. I believe the differences in the condition are largely due to the fact that there are different managing groups. That also would account for the way some people are treated in one resort being so different from the others.

It is also the reason why the Grand Oasis guests have more dining choices than the guests in the other buildings. They are able to visit the other resorts as a privelege of the higher price they paid, and this can be somewhat confusing for new guests in the other resorts when the entire place is connected and feels like one resort.

The pyramid has ocean view rooms, not ocean front rooms. You can see the ocean, but, you can't really hear it, and you have to walk out of the pyramid, across a bridge, across a stone tile patio, and down a steep set of stairs to get to the beach. The pyramid also has what they call lagoon view rooms. In my opinion, it may be nice to be in the pyramid, but, I want to be as close to the beach and be able to sit on my balcony and listen to the waves.

So, we always book ocean front rooms, which puts us in one of the two farthest south buildings in the other resorts, top floor. We far and away prefer the resort farthest east as it is the nicest, and less likely to have college kids running all over. If you choose garden view in that building, it is so quiet, and the sun doesn't stream into your room very early in the morning , as it will in an ocean front room. The down side is that you don't have the sound of the ocean just outside your balcony door. I love to open the door and listen to the waves while we sleep.

Room service is slow, that is true, but, I don't go to Cancun to spend much time in my room. Since I know it will take about an hour, I factor that into whether we will order or not. We also keep snacks in our room for late night munchies.

We plan to be there end of May or beginning of June this year, and will book a room in that south east building, ocean front. Oh and for some information, the buildings are numbered according to phases or playas. The pyramid is building 1, lagoon side building to the east is building 2, oceanfront east building is 3, and so on.

4. TeriA

TeriA Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    one correction to my post, we will be staying in the far south west ocean front, not east.

5. daveh0

daveh0 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, I'm about 5 minutes away from booking my trip at the Grand Oasis Cancun but have a few questions:

1. It sounds like there is a very noticeable difference in the quality of rooms with the Oasis vs. the Grand Oasis. That is good. What about the food available if I book the Grand Oasis? Is it considerably better? And where are the additional restaurants, in the pyramid tower?

2. If I book the Grand Oasis and some other people in my party book the Oasis, will they be allowed into my building?

3. Will room service deliver alcohol at the Grand Oasis? 24/7?

4. I believe I read that there are stocked mini-bars in the Grand Oasis rooms. Are its contents included in the All-inclusive plan or are you charged for those items?

5. and finally, one member of our party is disabled using a wheelchair to get around. He can walk short distances and up and down small stairs, curbs etc. We can also pick him up and carry him just about anywhere but I'd like to know the degree to which we'll be required to do this.

In particular, is there easy access to:

- the beach?

- the pool?

- the restaurants?

I read here http://www.cancunmx.com/Health-and-Safety/Traveling-with-Disabilities.htm that it is very easy to get around and that there is a ramp that goes directly down to the beach. Is this accurate?

Thanks!

-dave

6. leonardito

leonardito Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
  7. Bandit51284

Bandit51284 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Has anyone visited Grand Oasis this year. I would like to hear some feedback.

THanks

8. Bandit51284

Bandit51284 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  9. zurdoh44

zurdoh44 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    my adventure (or nightmare) at Grand Oasis

hi you all.

my wife and I just got back from Cancun this past saturday, July 11th. we stayed at the Grand Oasis, and for us, it was a very unfortunate experience.
    to begin with, it took us 3 hours to check into our room. 3 hours of not being able to go eat, or rest, or stay at the pools.
    once they gave us our room, we noticed that the Air Conditioning was not working, so we called the concierge, who assured us that it would be up and running in less than 30 minutes, so we did not worry about it at the time. this was saturday night.
    after visiting one of their restaurants, where we did have some fine food, we went back to our room at around midnight, and the A/C was still not operational. we called back to the concierge, who put us on hold, and never called us back after we hung up on him for making us wait for an hour. we were tired, so we decided to try and get some sleep, which did not work at all.
    to make a long story short, they NEVER fixed the A/C, for our entire 8-day stay there. we made some friends, who were having the same difficulties with their rooms, and one couple had changed room 4 times, with no satisfaction.
    I could go on and on about our nightmare there, but suffice it to say, I am writing a letter to the CEO of the hotel, explaining to him how good a service they provided us with.
    I will never book a room in that hotel again, even if they give it to me for free.

10. zurdoh44

zurdoh44 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    my adventure (or nightmare) at Grand Oasis

hi you all.

my wife and I just got back from Cancun this past saturday, July 11th. we stayed at the Grand Oasis, and for us, it was a very unfortunate experience.
    to begin with, it took us 3 hours to check into our room. 3 hours of not being able to go eat, or rest, or stay at the pools.
    once they gave us our room, we noticed that the Air Conditioning was not working, so we called the concierge, who assured us that it would be up and running in less than 30 minutes, so we did not worry about it at the time. this was saturday night.
    after visiting one of their restaurants, where we did have some fine food, we went back to our room at around midnight, and the A/C was still not operational. we called back to the concierge, who put us on hold, and never called us back after we hung up on him for making us wait for an hour. we were tired, so we decided to try and get some sleep, which did not work at all.
    to make a long story short, they NEVER fixed the A/C, for our entire 8-day stay there. we made some friends, who were having the same difficulties with their rooms, and one couple had changed room 4 times, with no satisfaction.
    I could go on and on about our nightmare there, but suffice it to say, I am writing a letter to the CEO of the hotel, explaining to him how good a service they provided us with.
    I will never book a room in that hotel again, even if they give it to me for free.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice