Grand Oasis ***** AI

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Steve, Jan 23, 2005.

1. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I was just there march 9-16 2007, and all the phases were open, and looking nice! Still some maintanance going on, painting, ect............ but the place looked good!

2. TeriA

TeriA Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks

Can't wait to get there. seven and a half weeks and counting.

3. gronsk

gronsk Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    April 14 - 21 2007

We have just finished a week at the Grand Oasis and it was great. Two years ago we went to the Oasis (phase III) and also had a great time. Two years ago I booked the trip on Wednesday night and we were on a plane to Cancun Friday night. The Oasis was my fifth choice and all the other places were booked. After I booked the trip I went and read the reviews and was very apprehensive and scared of what we would encounter.

When we arrived they did not have our reservation, but we went and camped out at phase III ( I had read that phase one was wilder and had more drunken kids staying there). We met a wonderful concierge , Yasmin, who talked to us about the property and gave us a good foundation of the property. After about an hour they gave us a room on the 4th floor.
    The room was average, air-conditioning worked ok toilet only stuffed up once or twice during the week. Expecting the worse we were very happy... The grounds are awesome and the beach is fantastic. We thought the restaurants were very good, and gave you a lot of variety. Biggest problem was that one elevator did not work all week (they were never working on it) and when we went to phase I one of their elevators were broken also...

When we were planning to go back we really didn’t want to go anywhere else. We decided to pay more for the Grand so we could go to all the restaurants and have a better room.

We were very pleased with the Grand, much has changed with the Oasis due to Wilma, and they have changed their restaurants a lot. We still were very happy with the choices and the quality of the food. It was was very good - and you could always find something you would like. We ate at most of the restaurants so the change was nice- we even got vouchers (20 dollars each) to eat at a restaurant outside the property.

All elevators were working -- I was surprised. we stayed in the pyramid and it was quiet and very nice.... it seems they are now calling the ocean front buildings the grand oasis now. I don’t think they did that 2 years ago. Those rooms should have a great view of the ocean, but I would worry about the quality of the construction.

The first few days the waves wer big and exposed some rocks....water was very rough. the rest of the week the waves were small and the red flags were changed to yellow... and we saw no rocks....It seemed like the beach is smaller and there was a big step to get in the water. I think they lost about 20 feet of beach during wilma..... the water was still fantastic. Two years ago we traveled to Oasis Viva Beach and the water was perfectly still, like bath water... we did not like that.

Some things could be improved, but they were minor to us, I am sure anal people would be upset over anything. The value cannot be beat and I cannot imagine a better place without paying a lot more money .

4. TeriA

TeriA Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just got back last Wednesday, June 13th, and had a wonderful time. We brought our two teenage daughters, and stayed in phase 3 with two garden view rooms.

The surf was really rough, and there were a lot of huge rocks exposed on the beach, so our girls were disappointed that they really couldn't swim in the ocean. So, we made arrangements with the hotel to use their runaway program and spend the last four days of our trip at the Grand Oasis Riviera Maya, since the beach was going to have calm surf and soft sand. They were jazzed about that, but, after spending a few days at the Cancun Grand Oasis, they were disappointed by the Riviera Maya location as it was nearly all honeymooners and old couples. The only single people we encountered were little kids with their parents, so, they begged to go back to Cancun. Normally you can't do that, as the program states you agree to spend the remainder of your trip at the new location and effectively have checked out of the previous resort. Well, let me tell you, the concierge at the Grand Oasis' went above and beyond in getting us rooms back at Cancun Grand, on the same floor, and one of the rooms was the very same that we left. The girls were delighted. Our trip was saved, and we spent a happy trip continued in Cancun.

On two side notes, the Grand Oasis Riviera Maya gets high marks for anyone looking for romance and solitude. Just fantastic, and we are planning to go back for the runaway program on our anniversary trip when we plan to spend a week in Cancun and a week in the Riviera Maya.

The second side note is kudos to Entertainment Plus for their high level of customer service. We booked our airport transfers through their USA Transfers service, since we used them last year and were very happy. When we planned to transfer to Riviera Maya, we called them up from our hotel and made arrangements to have them take us there, and pick us up for our flight home, with a very reasonable additional charge.

Then, when the girls begged to go back to Cancun, we called Eplus up again, and asked how hard it would be to get a van to come get us that day and bring us back to Cancun. He had a van there in less than 2 hours. By the time we checked out, the driver was there with our luggage loaded and ready to go. The whole experience was very pleasant, and we highly recommend USA Transfers and Eplus over any other service. When we go back next year, we will be using them again. The vans are private, clean, comfortable, and the drivers are very friendly and helpful. We liked them all so much. that each trip we hoped for the driver we had on the previous trip, until we met the next driver, and hoped we had him for our next trip. They are all great.

Back to the Grand Oasis review. The resort is nearly back to the way it was before the hurricane, with a few notable improvements. The beach front spa is nearly fully functional, and massages can be booked now at that spa location, or you can still use the indoor spa in the pyramid. The fitness center on the beach is nearly ready for use. The beach had some rocks the first few days, like I said, but, that seems to be when the surf is kicking up from stormy weather. As soon as the tropical storm effects left the area, the surf calmed and the beach returned to cover nearly all the rocks. So, by the time we were back at the Cancun Oasis, the beach was thoroughly enjoyable and we spent plenty of time in the beautiful blue water.

I really do wish Oasis resorts would double or even triple the number of palapas they have on the beach, and double the number of pool lounge chairs, and add some shade here and there around the pool. It gets pretty hot, and uncomfortable if you don't have a chair conveniently located under a palm tree. I also wish they would have some dance music playing outside somewhere, latin dance music, perhaps over by Cocoa, up on the pool walkway area. It's certainly large enough to accomodate dancing, and would add something to do in the evening outside with the gorgeous ocean as a backdrop. They do have music by the pool down by phase3, so that's nice, but, really want to see that in the evening.

During the morning and early afternoon, they have a couple of guys going around the pool with a monkey or parrots, and even an iguana, to have your picture taken with. It costs $12 USD if you want one, but, we thought it was well worth it, they were really good quality. I will add a few of them when I get a chance so you can see them. They don't charge you up front, and take several poses. You just go over to phase 2 by the elevator and look them over to see if you want one. They don't take credit cards, so bring your cash.

The restaurants were really good, especially on the last couple of days when they had a whole convention of executive chefs from resorts all over the world staying at the Grand. It was great. The Grand Oasis chefs were going overboard trying to impress these other chefs, and they did a fantastic spread in the buffets. It is always really good, but, they just added that little something extra for good measure.

The peacock population at the resort has really expanded. We counted over a dozen of the males, and a bunch more females with babies.

One thing I did notice was the absence of the guy with the tractor who used to groom the beach a couple of times a week. Never showed up that I ever saw, and the beach could really use it.
    The phase 4 and 5 end of the pool is always cluttered at the end of the day with plastic cups, cigarrette butts, garbage, and sometimes vomit. They leave garbage all over that end of the beach, too. It just bothers me to see this beautiful place treated this way, and I hate to see these hard working staff having to clean up night after night after night with no end in sight. Maybe it's the under 21's, not sure, but, I do know they are the guests that stay in those buildings. I haven't seen that happen anywhere else on the resort. Just don't get that.

Anyway, the Grand Oasis is a truly great place to vacation. Beautiful. The staff are always quick to smile and say Hola, but, usually wait for you to initiate, probably just trying to not intrude on your vacation if you just want to be left alone.

The cleaning staff usually works through the rooms in a predictable pattern, and take care of the rooms who have their "clean this room" tags hanging on the doorknob first, and then go back through those without a "do not disturb sign" second. If you want your room clean early, put your tag out, and try to notice where they start and what the pattern is so you know what to expect. They also are busy getting rooms ready by 3pm check in, so, if you don't put your tag out, your room may not get cleaned in the morning.

The mini bar is stocked by servi bar, and to get it stocked or restocked, you need to contact that desk at the number in your hotel directory. Also, if you have any problems, you will get quicker responses by going to the concierge that is assigned to your building. In phase 3, she would come in at about 9am, and sit at the table on the second floor. Trying to get things done through the front desk is just not going to be easy, as they are so busy, and often get swamped with people either checking in and out, or people needing safe locks, money exchange, room changes, whatever. The building concierge has just one function, to take care of the guests in that building.

Also, if you leave a buck or two on the bed with a little note saying Gracias, for the maid, you will be surprised at how much quicker your room gets cleaned in the mornings, and how well stocked you will be with towels every day.

We joined the Oasis Loves You, frequent guest program, and will be interested to see if our experience is any more pleasant than it already has been during the three visits we have spent there. This last time, we actually were given vip check in complete with chilled glasses of juice, and expedited check in. It was great.

Any questions I haven't covered, ask away.

5. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I suppose that the beer featured at the Grand Oasis is the same as for the other Oasis resorts, but could you tell us what was stocked in the mini bar and fridge (if there was one)? thanks for the TR :)

6. TeriA

TeriA Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The minibar is stocked with bottles of water, pepsi and pepsi light, orange soda, and beer, dont recall what brand but it was a name brand like Miller. You can have the fridge stocked with a whole list of items that you can order from servibar. Anything from snack foods, to candy, to cigars and cigarettes.

7. Kaluta

Kaluta Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is the Grand Oasis THAT much quieter than the other Oasis hotels? Probably gonna choose the Grand, simply because its situated beside the biggest party in Cancun.

8. Kaluta

Kaluta Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    By the way, is the booze in the minibar free, or is that one of the things the hotels catch you on (meaing all-inclusive at the hotel bars but NOT in room)?

9. PaulAndDarcy

PaulAndDarcy Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Foam Party

Is the foam party at Up and Down a tickets event or 1st come first serve? We're going to be staying at another resort in October (Oasis Cancun) but we want to check out the party. Any information on getting advance tickets or advice on how/when to show up to make sure we get in?

10. leonardito

leonardito Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice