Grand Oasis ***** AI

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Steve, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Grand Oasis

Post comments, reviews, trip reports and links to your pictures for Grand Oasis here.

Located at Km16 it is a 20 minute bus journey to the party center. This hotel is Ocean side. Downtown is a 40 minute bus journey away.

Check the links below for availability and pricing with the following operators:

Best Day Cancun

Expedia

Cancuntravel

Travel Center

2. cancuncouple

cancuncouple Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +58 / 0
    Laura and I stayed at the Grand 02/04. The beach is great and of course
    the hotel is beautiful. We had a lagoon side room and it was very nice.
    When you stay at the Grand, they have their own beachclub area. Nicer
    lounge chairs and very good service. The food was pretty good. If we
    ever do another AI trip, we will go here.

3. frenchi1971

frenchi1971 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Grand Oasis, Cancun- Aug 8-14

We just returned from the Grand Oasis, Cancun this morning and I could not wait to post this review of this hotel. Here are our comments, but I will highlight our main annoyance here…NOWHERE ON THE HOTELS WEBSITE OR ON ANY INFORMATION DOES IT STATE THAT THERE IS A MINIMUM AGE REQUIREMENT TO EAT THE GOURMET RESTAURANTS. CHILDREN MUST BE AT LEAST 12 YEARS OF AGE TO EAT COCOA AND CAREYES AND ANOTHER GOURMET RESTAURANT. WE TRAVELED WITH A 7 YEAR OLD. MORE ON THIS IN THE FOOD SECITON BELOW! :

HOTEL: The hotel itself is really nice. Our expectations were not the Ritz Carleton, so we were satisfied. The lobby is pretty and has an earthy feeling with all of the plants hanging from the balconies. The staff were always accommodating, especially the manager and the concierge (2 of the concerieges were wonderful…..CUDOS to Glen and Stephanie). There was always someone walking around cleaning and painting the property…..

ROOM:
    Pros:The room was nice. We upgraded to a Jr. Suite so we would have extra space in the room. The room was spacious…very Mexican feeling to it. Big bathroom. Jacuzzi tub and separate shower.

Cons: The beds were hard, but we adjusted to them enough to sleep on them every night. We had an “Ocean View”, but not really. We were ocean side and saw a bit of the ocean, but mostly the grounds and the pools. So be aware and ask if you can really see the ocean from an “ocean view” room. The toilet broke 2 times. It was fixed both times. There was a problem with the water and we had no hot water for most of one day. The water had a terrible gas like smell to it. The water was yellowish. There were not enough towel bars to hang wet towels and suits.

FOOD:
    Pros: The Al a carte restaurants were nice..pretty decent food. The Grand’s buffet was pretty good, especially for breakfast. The food was average at the buffets…not too bad.

Cons: We thought that only Grand guests could eat at the Grand restaurants, but we always saw other Oasis guests in there. We had to wait several times to eat, as they were full, sometimes with non-grand guests. This was frustrating. Hard to get reservations at the gourmet restaurants. You have to come down to concierge at 6:30 or 7am to book for the same day or they fill up.

BIG CON: When we were making reservations for Careyes (the shee-shee-poo-poo restaurant) we were told that our daughter (age 7) did not meet the age requirement of 12, therefore we could not eat there. I asked to speak to the hotel manager. I expressed my frustration. I told him THIS WAS NOT ADVERTISED ANYWHERE…EVEN ON OASIS HOTEL WEBSITE. He contacted corporate who told him that they choose not to publish this (age restriction) as they do not want this to deter people from coming to the resort. They say that they have this restriction because honeymooners want a peaceful meal…I told him that they should then go to a couples resort like Sandals. He did not like that comment. To make a long story short, I do not lose battles that I start. I demanded, in a polite way, that we eat at this restaurant with our daughter. They made an exception and allowed her. Let me tell you, what a joke. They were watching us like hawks in the restaurant that they called gourmet. The food was good but it so funny because normal every day people come to this resort, including loud obnoxious partiers. My daughter sat so beautifully and was better mannered that several of the tables in there.

BEACH:
    Pro: very pretty. Comfortable lounge chairs. Butler service was ok…..

Cons: WOW was the water rough! Red flags (highest warning) posted on the beach of the grand. Chairs were hard to come by during certain times of the day. The Grand Oasis exclusive beach, my butt! There were always people from the other Oasis hotel on the “exclusive grand” beach taking up chairs. Security was not assertive enough asking them to leave. Grand guests sometimes were without chairs while non-Grand guests lounged on our paid for chairs!

POOLS:
    Pros: Lots of pools. Between the grand, phase1, and phase 2….big variety of pools to swim in. Swim up bars at the pools.

Cons: The pools were only open until 6pm, although there were times I saw people in them until 7pm. The pool with all of the young people partying…well, it smells like throw up!

BIG CON: People come down to the pool and reserve chairs by placing their towels on them chairs at 7am. There were days that I saw the same chairs reserved by the same people and they did not come down to sit in them until 12pm!!!! They held chairs for 5 hours and did not use them until 12….very rude!!!! VERY HARD TO GET CHAIRS AT THE POOL OF THE GRAND….CHAIR PADS ARE GONE BY 7:30AM. CHAIRS ARE UNCOMFORTABLE WITHOUT THE PADS

ACTIVITIES:

Not quite sure what activities. We were under the impression that non-motorized aquatic sports would include a snorkeling mask and tube but not!

OVERALL:
    We had a really nice time while at the Grand Oasis. The vacation was a bit more expensive than it should have been for what you get.

4. Lucifer

Lucifer Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ROLL CALL

5 irresistable guys going down to Oasis
    1st week in May!!

5. TeriA

TeriA Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just back from Grand Oasis

What a fantastic trip!!!
    We took our 19 and 17 year old kids, and we had such a wonderful time. The Grand is almost back to the way it was before the hurricanes. The fitness center isn't open yet, and the spa is only in the grand building, but, overall, it's good as new. The beach is great, a little on the shelly side, but, still great. Las Palmas has moved to the area outsie Ibiza. Where Las Palmas used to be, they have opened a Thai restaurant, Akeru. There is also a sushi bar outside Akeru.

La Galera is now called Dos Lunas, but is pretty much the same. There is a new sports bar open in the area that used to be occupied by the Tatish buffet. Tatish is still in that building, but, set up a bit differently.

Phase two ocean front is not open yet, but, from the looks of the progress they are making on it, I suspect it won't be long before it is. The pool is completely retiled. Most of the palm trees have been replaced, and new ones are being put in on an ongoing basis. Ulysses, one of the waiters at Dos Lunas, told us that all 900 employees were put to work doing the repairs on the resort until it was ready to open. He also told us how they stayed with the guests for the entire three days that Wilma raged, and did not go to check on their families at all during that time. They took care of their guests. Incredible.

As always, the food is fantastic, and the service is above and beyond. There are still structural problems here and there, but, they are working on them as they go. Our hotel room door frame had some serious issues. It was off center or something, so, after an effort to replace the door, I think they decided that they would just pull the whole thing off and fix it after we checked out. It was no big deal, just one more bit of evidence that this hotel had gone through a catastrophic hurricane not too long ago. They're still recovering but doing an amazing job of it.

We spent 8 days, 7 nights. A wonderful trip.

6. Bloxo

Bloxo Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Grand Oasis

There's about a dozen of us from the UK looking to stay here in March 2007 (can't wait!).

But I've read elsewhere that the Grand doesn't take "Spring Breakers", is this the case?

We might be able to swing it as we're not students, we're aged between 24-35, working professionals just looking to get loaded and stay in a decent hotel!

What do you guys think?

Cheers.

7. Lucifer

Lucifer Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Grand Oasis May 2006

When I 1st walked into this place I stopped in my tracks and was impressed.
    First time in a five star for myself; the inside of the pyramid is hollow with an actual oasis & waterfall.

Oasis resorts are on either side but they do not have access to the Grand Oasis restaurants (there are several). The Grand Oasis has its own pool but the action seemed to be next door so we usually headed there.
    It's a lot quieter here and the people staying have more money.
    24 hour room service was pretty good, as well as the variety of restaurants.

If your not a cheap potlicker, tip the staff here and there a few dollars and you will receive unbelievable service.

Most of the rooms are great, I stayed in a few of them, my favorite gets the sunrise in the morning (facing the ocean).

The beach kicks ass, and there's a girl who brings you drinks while you sit there and burn. If a big part of your trip depends on the beach living up to expectations this is a good place. I expected beach as far as I could see and this is what I got. [I checked out a hotel on the lagoon side and there was only about 10 feet of beach].

I also recommend jet skiiing on the ocean $45 US - just be careful - cause I almost knocked my teeth out on the handle bars when I landed some big air.

Bringing someone back to the room will set you back $50 US unless you work the staff.

There are a bunch of peacocks that are noisy, so bring some valium and put it in something they will eat.

8. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Re: Grand Oasis May 2006

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. debba9802

debba9802 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Beware of this hotels bait and switch tactics. If they tell you that you have a "Grand" Oasis room in one of the other 4 buildings, you are in for a surprise.

We were supposed to have "Grand" Oasis rooms but were put into building one (not sure what "phase") which they told us was also Grand Oasis. This was apparently a lie. I've now heard from other travelers that the outer buildings are actually the Oasis and only the main building is Grand Oasis. It doesn't matter what you call them - ALL 4 outer buildings absolutely disgusting!

There was water flooding the rooms/hallways, plumbing backed up from the toilets, smelly water leaking from the sinks and toilets, NO hot water and NO a/c when we got into our rooms.

The pics on the website were obviously taken a long time ago b/c this is what the property looked like Nov 1 - 6, 2006:

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8EaM3DJo4aN1Y
    [media=youtube]G8EBiMeeDHA[/media]
    [media=youtube]52Hht-2b1w8[/media]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  10. TeriA

TeriA Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Any updates on this property in the last month?

Just wondering if anyone has been to the Grand Oasis in the last month? I really would like to know if phase two ocean front is open yet. It wasn't when we went in June 2006, and since we loved our room in 2005 that was in that building, we were hoping the repairs are done for our upcoming trip this June.

I have followed fairly closely the reports on other sites about the Grand, and from what I can gather, it seems that building may be up and ready.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice