Gran Caribe Real (formerly Continental Villas) **** AI/EP

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Steve, Jan 22, 2005.

1. carday22

carday22 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm heading down to Gran Caribe Real April 5th/07, any new info on the resort? Who's the number one bartender to seek out to mix us the premier margaritas? Any current info would be appreciated.

2. Hyru

Hyru Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How is this hotel party wise in comparison to Oasis Cancun?

3. davissummer24

davissummer24 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I stayed at the gran caribe june 06. Keep in mind this is considered a 'family' hotel although they do allow breakers. When I was there in June( single female) I saw a good combo of everyone: young, old, gals like myself and guys but there was families there so I don't really consider it to be a party spot but I did have a blast. I think you will find alot of graduation trips there during the summer but families as well

4. Hyru

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey thanks for the info... a few questions if you dont mind...

1) how was the food?
    2) What percentage were younger crowd (Under 30) and how was their girl/guy ratio?
    3) Ive heard about the graduation trips as well... but this would make it more of a party hotel than others, no?

5. Linnysue

Linnysue Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    4/5/08 trip to Gran Caribe Real.

Wow, this thread is pretty dated.

We have a party of 6 going to the Gran Caribe from 4/5/08 - 4/12/08 (I know, I know...spring break), and was wondering about the lack of beach.

We visited this resort in 2005 and the beach (pre-hurricane damage) was incredible, now I hear there is no beach at all.

Anyone here been there recently who can give us a report? We're planning on having a good time no matter what, but would like some input on the current situation with this resort. Thanks.

P.S. - Just joined this forum today. Glad to be here.

~Linnysue

6. Linnysue

Linnysue Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: 4/5/08 trip to Gran Caribe Real.

7. 4fours

4fours Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Linnysue,

We are going 4/19 thru 4/24 and I was wondering the same thing. The resort website shows great beaches but I have read different reviews recently saying there was no beach? Hopefully with us asking the same questions somebody will know the answer.

8. DConCT

DConCT CC's SB Godfather Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm going to the Avalon Grand which is right down the beach from the Gran Caribe Real...

Check out this pic from Jan 21, 2008 looking south
    [​IMG]
    and you will see that at least at the Avalon Grand, the beach is completely gone right up to the wall... they won't even let you down the stairs, you have to go a few hotels up the road to gain access.

another traveler from mid February 2008 to the Avalon Grand said the beach was still gone.

9. Hyru

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey guys,

the beach at GCR is pretty limited... Theres maybe 10meters or so of sand... and on your backdrop is a huge wall, similar to the above posted pic.

That being said, there IS a beach (just not much).... and you can always take a few steps to the side and youll get more beach.

I encourage you to visit GCR, its a great resort... besdies the lack of beach, I would say its 100% great.

10. pjscardz

pjscardz Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I stayed here in 1989 for spring break when it was the Fiesta Americana Suites and Villas. At the time the tower section was fairly new and the villas were the oldest. Fiesta Americana was just building the Grand Coral Beach resort at this time. They put us in one of the villas and the A/C didn't work. It was nice to be oceanfront (no beach) but the villas were old and without A/C we asked to be moved. They moved us to a tower room directly over the main pool with a great ocean view. The room was nice and the service at the resort was good. Overall we were pleased with our stay - but that was 20 years ago.

It doesn't look like they have done much to the resort except cosmetic upgrades. That's more than likely the reason you hear about power outages, elevator failures and A/C units not working. It is a big resort and the beach comes and goes. When we were there the only beach was to the south of the villas. The waves from the ocean were crashing on the wall in front of the main pool. Employees told us they had a pool on the beach that was washed away by a hurricane the previous fall.

The whole east facing side of Cancun is famous for "lack of beach" issues. They need to build a barrier reef off the coast to help protect it.

The location of the resort was great. We could walk or crawl to all the bars with ease. I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try for the right price.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice