Government Shutdown

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by twinimini, Oct 1, 2013.

1. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0

Dave, I think out best bet is to import Canadians!:D:D It seems like most of my new clients are Canadians. No language barrier (other than Quebec) and plenty of skills and mostly a good work ethic. As they used to say on "The Price is Right," Come on down!

2. keithgeorge

keithgeorge Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A deliberate shutdown by mostly one side of congress! This is anti national security. All those involved should be prosecuted for conspiracy against their country!

3. Dave & Audrey

Dave & Audrey Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I must say that I'm surprised that there is a migration happening. Life is pretty good here. We have more jobs than people and a pretty solid standard of living across the board. In the west half of the country, we desperately need more tradespeople. Doesn't even really matter what your trade is, we need them. We're actively seeking immigrants from Russia and eastern Europe to come here. Well everywhere really, Asia, Africa etc. There are places out here that have to pay $15/hr+ to McDonalds employees so that the good ones don't get hired out by the customers through the drive thru window. It's not unheard of at all to be at a $100K a year after being out of high school for a year. Just have to be willing to work. East side of Canada is a little different. They are the more civilized side. West side is more rednecks and roughnecks. The money is in the west right now. Speaking of which, if you guys could get on that Keystone XL pipeline, that'd be great. Thanks.

4. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0

Keith, before I comment I'd like to know how the shutdown affected you? How was this anti national security? The FBI and Homeland Security and the Border Patrol and the military were all still on duty so I'm not sure where you are coming from with your comments. Most people I know weren't even aware of anything about a shutdown other than the massive media blitz on the subject. Unless you were trying to visit a national park or a national monument then it probably didn't have any effect on you. Of course the closure of the national monuments only applied to the taxpaying public as Obama made sure the National Mall was open for an immigration demonstration.

Who would your arrests start with? Obama? Pelosi? Reid? Boehner? Cruz? You have to remember that there needs to be two sides for a compromise. Obama said that under no circumstances would he compromise. Robert Reich, who was in Clinton's Cabinet said that the Democrats should not compromise for any reason. Hmmm, sounds to me like both sides had dug their heels in, which doesn't work out to one party or one side of Congress.

Now, go back to my comments about the debt. Do you really think anything is going to change unless the American voting public has the proverbial 2 X 4 wacked across the side of their collective heads? I don't think anything short of a shutdown is going to get people to understand that we are in HUGE trouble. We have to both CUT spending and RAISE taxes to get out of this mess. We've had the good life and now the bills are due and payable!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  5. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    Dave, it isn't a migration of people, but the establishment of US operations for Canadian businesses. It can be lucrative for a business to be operating on both sides of the border.

Ed

6. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Canadian Dos Equis fan Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man Registered Member

Ratings:
    +177 / 0
    Actually as a Canadian I can inform you that dental care isn't covered by our system. Therefore it's market based and just as you are no doubt aware, not cheap. Hence the reason that many people get work done in Mexico for a fraction of the cost at home.

I would question though why China should feel obligated to give the US money? They have well over a billion people to worry about of their own. The major problem with the UN in my opinion is the security council. No country, be it the US, Russia, Britain, France etc. should have veto power all it does is lead to deadlock. Historically the UN has been effective when working as a peacekeeping force.

7. prhodes

prhodes Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0
    I guess what I was trying to say is the government of the united states Gives the money the people of the country pay in taxes to freely to less fortunate countries without calling it a loan. We can't keep borrowing money just to give away.
    It is great our government is back up and running but that doesn't fix the real reason it shut down in the first place. We are supposed to have safe guards against becoming to far into debt. So now we start printing even more money we don't have.
    I guess our politicians think we are stupid or something. But in fact we are just to lazy to care.
    Can you honestly tell me a few places the United Nations have had success keeping the piece without the aid of the United States military? We pay our fare share of the dues. But again we have this need to stick our noses in every ones business.
    But I still cannot think of a better safer place to live. It's all good

8. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Canadian Dos Equis fan Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man Registered Member

Ratings:
    +177 / 0
  9. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    So the "crisis" is over and did the media get the message? Of course not. All they could do is to blast the Republican Party. But looking back, how did this create a negative effect on any one individual? Okay, so I couldn't visit a national park. Well, let me rephrase that. I couldn't visit a national park for a visit but if I were going to demonstrate for open immigration then I could visit a park.

We weren't really going into default so that argument doesn't hold much water, so who got hurt? Federal employees? No, I think part of the deal was that they got a couple of weeks of paid vacation, so they made out. My daughter in DC tells me that traffic was a lot lighter for those two weeks, but I'm just not sure who suffered. Did any of you have any "suffering" from the shutdown? I didn't but maybe that was something unique to our area, so I'm curious as to what damage any of you may have felt.

10. LotsaTimers

LotsaTimers Cancuncare's Survivors Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The traffic in Denver sucked the morning they all went back to work!!!:banghead:

George

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice