Government Shutdown

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by twinimini, Oct 1, 2013.

1. prhodes

prhodes Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0
    Let's not forget we live in the land of plenty. It's just to bad we give a lot of it away and don't take care of our own..It would be nice to get a little from china without calling it a loan. And don't get me started on the worthless United Nations that has their leaching hands out. They couldn't keep the piece if it bit them in the butt. For shame! And for my friends to the north if your health care is so good why are a lot of you getting dental work done while your in mexico? Im also kidding :) Im sure Obamacare will have us all waiting in long line to receive inadequate health care eventually. Now let's get back to talking about BOOBS BEER and sandy BEACHES.

2. diamondheaded

diamondheaded I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 1
    yes its called the libertarian party :) - most conservatives are not interested because of its liberal stance on everything social and most liberals hate it because its completely against big cumbersome beauracratic government

most americans would actually love this party but the media and politics as usual will never allow this

truly sad

rob

3. NTBABY

NTBABY Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In this poll a grand total of 1,028 adults were polled...Hardly an accurate measurement in my eyes for either party. Once again the media controlling how we think :icon_mad:

4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I'm beginning to think that this is going to end badly, after all. The impasse is at the point of the President, 1) refusing to negotiate in the face of a threatened (by the Republicans) economic collapse triggered by a default; and, 2) refusing to negotiate if the lifting of that threat is tied to negotiations over which of the recent spending cuts referred to as the "shutdown" will be restored. The Republicans are still trying to leverage this crisis to force concessions, and this is where the President has drawn the line.

He has said, basically, "Lift the threats to the economic life of the country, and we can begin to talk about compromises on spending".

Federal spending has been reduced significantly as a result of the sequester, and now as a result of the "shutdown". Both are negatively impacting economic growth, a predictable result. Economists are now saying that, considering just the cuts entailed in the "shutdown", economic growth will be pared by half a percent if the shut down continues a mere week longer. On top of an already sputtering economy, reflected in an anemic growth rate, this will be significant.

It's too bad that, faced with difficult decisions about how you deal with an economy that to such a large extent lives and breathes on federal spending and the borrowing that requires, when you want to reduce that spending, we can't have thoughtful discussions about it among our leaders. The anarchists among the elected officials, Tea Party and perhaps a few others, are succeeding in preventing that, at the moment.

5. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    We used to laugh at governments, like Italy, that couldn't seem to get their acts together. Now, we're them!

6. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0

I really think that what you are seeing is an attempt at a wake up call for this country. We can't keep on spending money that we don't have. Much of the fuss is over raising the debt limit. Let's put that into perspective....that's like not being able to pay your credit card bill so you go out and get another credit card and borrow against it. Consider a household that has had a lavish lifestyle and now they have to pay back the debt. That is what we have become.

We are the land of plenty, but how much of that plenty is based on borrowing for expenses we really can't afford. We have had wars that have accomplished nothing but making matters worse for Americans in the world. We have out of control social spending that does nothing but encourage people to not work. Now we have the ultimate idiocy in Obamacare. All on borrowed money that has to be repaid at some point in time, like soon.

So who is going to bring sense to Washington? Obama, Pelosi, Reid? They have never seen a social program that shouldn't be funded. That is particularly true if it can buy votes. But who will take care of the poor when the debt has to be repaid? Who will fund our defense and foreign aid? Scary times right now and I just hope that this shutdown will put some sense into the powers that be.

7. diamondheaded

diamondheaded I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 1
    you say a lot ed but in those three paragraphs you summed it as well as you ever have

set aside politics, religion, left wing, right wing, taxes, rich and poor conservative and liberal.......and any other thing you would like to add to the mix and debate about - I am sure there are plenty willing

but

the reality is as plain as you stated...........even my unborn grandchildren already have enough basic common sense to figure this simpleton matter out and they have not even been born yet

YOU CANT SPEND MONEY YOU DONT HAVE........AND EXPECT A UTOPIA

:)

rob

8. Dave & Audrey

Dave & Audrey Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    The only part of this I disagree with us the part about the debt being repaid. Let alone soon. None of us will be alive long enough to see the US without a deficit. And until that happens, there is no debt repayment happening. The only realistic discussion anybody is having at this point is about how fast to go deeper into debt.

9. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    Debt is a spiral and that is why I'm saying that there will have to be repayments in the not very distant future. Most of the US debt is not held by the Chinese but is actually held by the Social Security Administration. With roughly one third of the US population either on SS or close to it, that money will be needed to pay the "entitlements" of those soon to be retirees along with those already collecting.

The non-partisan Congressional Budget Office estimates that by 2038 all of the US Gross Domestic Product will be going to debt service. Think about that for a minute. The cry from the Obamanation is that we have to keep spending to keep the economy running. But at what cost to our future generations? What is this country going to be like for our children and grandchildren?

Put the government into the perspective of a household that has used debt to fund their lifestyle. Now when the debt has to be repaid the lifestyle has to revert back to substantially less than it was before they went on the spending spree. What do you cut? Defense? Social Programs? Roads? Drug enforcement? Border security?

Folks, the fertilizer is about to hit the ventilator and we're all standing downwind!

10. Dave & Audrey

Dave & Audrey Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Yes, all of the above. Then you open up immigration as wide as possible. You need more taxpayers now. You can't breed them fast enough and there is a delay between birth and tax paying. You'll be importing tax payers who are already 20-30 years old any ready to work and pay tax. So yeah, I think your answer to your debt problem is you need more Mexicans and Asians. Think of your debt issue sorta like a reverse mortgage.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice