Government Shutdown

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by twinimini, Oct 1, 2013.

1. r&a 1964

r&a 1964 Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +677 / 1
    If the question is who shut down the government the answer is easy. Congress approved a budget. The Senate rejected the budget because it didn't include funding for the affordable health care act. The Senate caused the shut down. Was it wise of them to do that? That is the question. The fact that the House passed a budget and the Senate rejected it is not in question. It doesn't matter if you agree with the Republicans in the House or the Democrats in the Senate, The Senate shut down the government. It is the best form of government in the world. It is supposed to be hard to make government bigger. It is supposed to be hard to make changes. Politicians are supposed to fight for what they think is best. It is no different now that it has been for the last 238 years. Its not the first time the House has tried to control laws by not funding them. Its why we have three branches of government. It is what caused the USA to become the biggest economy in the world. Don't be fooled. What country would you like to change our government to be like? When you decide that watch their politics for a while and then see what you really think.

2. Stacia_and_John

Stacia_and_John T&A Tour Guide Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,611 / 14
    Matters... to who?

The voting public? Doesn't seem to. It's much less of a public news item in Houston as ... say... Matt Schaub's 4 pick-6 in a row.

Priorities. We are seriously screwed up.

I AM pissed about the interceptions, though.

3. Restling

Restling I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,628 / 4
    So it was you.... Fans Accost Matt Schaub At His Home « CBS Houston

As for the shutdown. I don't have a problem with the shutdown, just the way the Republicans did it. They should have waited for the debt ceiling for it.

If they could find a way for the media to show how the Democrats left the National Mall open for an illegal activity today, while at the same time putting armed guards in front of open air monuments then, Obama's approval would be lower than the dismal 37% it's at right now.

4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    In the last bi-elections Republicans won control of the House. They are now putting that control to use in an attempt to force concessions on government spending. How is the public viewing this?

"An Oct. 3-6 Gallup Poll found that 28 percent of Americans have a favorable view of the Republican Party -- the lowest for a major party since Gallup began asking in 1992...."

5. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0

Because of reality or because of a seriously slanted media that reports what suits their own agendas?

6. Restling

Restling I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,628 / 4
    Obama is at 37%, and democrats are also at all time low.

7. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    Yep, you pretty much summed up the state of American politics today. The dems are so busy trying to buy votes with more grandiose schemes that will work just a poorly as their prior schemes. (How's that War on Poverty going?) The fact that we, as a nation, are running out of money and literally running on borrowed time is totally irrelevant to them as they just want to spend and spend and spend.

The other side of the aisle doesn't seem to have a grasp on reality either. Americans aren't about to elect a total libertarian who wants to dismantle government in its entirety. They can't seem to comprehend that there are some things that the government actually does do well.

That leaves a few hardy souls in the middle who have to be so frustrated that they just want to scream. It's a truly sad commentary that we have gotten to this point.

8. diamondheaded

diamondheaded I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 1
    as a libertarian..........

anytime I see "government shutdown" it has to be a good thing :)

rob

9. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0

Well Rob, the IRS is shutdown, so I have no complaints about that. However, having to fly these last few weeks makes me glad that air traffic control is still working and, to a certain extent, that TSA is still around.

It's so ironic that all the national parks and monuments are closed, but yet, somehow, a huge rally for immigration reform was able to happen on the National Mall with no interference whatsoever. Funny, but I seem to remember something about equal protection under the law. Oh but I forgot, that doesn't apply to people who will probably vote for more federal programs.

10. Dave & Audrey

Dave & Audrey Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Is there truly no market in the States for a financially conservative and socially liberal party? Cause to me that seems like a winner.

Work towards balancing the books, keep taxes low, cut entitlement programs, reduce spending, stay out of peoples bedrooms, recognize that abortion is here to stay, scale back global military activities and get rid of all that religion based politics.

Oh, nevermind. Then you'd be Canada :) Just kidding, couldn't resist.

But serious question, isn't there room for that party platform in the US?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice