GOV TR (April 3 - April 6)

Discussion in 'Grand Oasis Viva' started by slopoke3, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Just Jeff

Just Jeff Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    I'm not really sure how to respond to several of comments that were made about my above post.

First thing I'd like to point out is that you folks idea of bashing and mine are way different.
    Discussing issues posted by others is not bashing it's observation and dialogue.

Also I have never claimed to dislike GOV, just some of it problems. These problems may be deal breakers for some and mean nothing to others, and that's really OK.

I've been a member of CCC for many years. I personally only know approximately 50 couples since we tend to travel the same 2 weeks of each year. Of those couples we have probably have become good friends with 15 of those. And 5 of those couples are what I would call close friends.

We made our choice to book GOV because we have friends that also had booked GOV.
    They are currently still booked. We booked in mid December, when the whole concept hadn't been fully unveiled. Really most people at that time were talking about GOV as an alternative to other adult only resorts that were in Cancun. I don't know if I'm the only one that likes to try a different resort but we were open to the idea and booked. We never felt a NEED to switch, just some curiosity about what else might be out there.

Then the CCC trip reports started coming in. BTW I've spent 5 minutes in the last 10 years looking at TripAdvisor... Pretty easy to see through most of those reviews. We definitely value the reviews here on CCC and prefer to not check else where so we don't have to sift through all the b.s.. As the GOV reviews started coming in we first noticed the concept was not going the direction we would have liked... Strike 1.

Next we noticed many complaints about unfriendly, sometimes disrespectful staff... Strike 2.
    Please note this is a full 5 months ago...but I'm still reading those same complaints.
    So we hung in there hoping for some change...but haven't heard anyone mention anything markedly different happening with staff... I know, I know it's not the entire staff, just the front desk, most of the bartenders and some in the restaurants... LOL.

When you go back and research the past GOV trip reviews and not base the review on whether they had a great time, good time, or bad time but rather the issues they had encountered. You can start seeing the problem patterns emerge. I really don't care if a reviewer has a good time or not... I want to know the problems they had, if the staff handled them well and is there a pattern of progress at the resort.
    Each couple handles events on vacation differently, some overlook the bad and find only the good. Some say nothing and come back home and complain. Others work with management and try to get resolutions to their issues. Just because a couple has a great time or a bad time doesn't mean there aren't issues to think about and then decide if I want to encounter those same issues.

In our case we perceive a number of the same non-excusable problems that don't seem to be getting addressed... And I don't feel like dealing with those particular problems. Do other resorts have issues... Hell yes. I've written more than one less than good review on this site and I don't really care what anyone thinks after I write it... Why should I, it's my opinion and I own it.

Funny I don't usually notice who is writing the reviews, I tend to see the title and remember that. So don't flatter yourself yvr1 I had never even noticed your screen name before your reply... LOL.

I will choose to stick with my above post... own what I said and continue to hope that people that decide to go to GOV have a great time(as I mentioned in my first post), we just won't be seeing you there this year.

And to the OP (slopoke3) sorry your really informative trip review got hijacked.
    Thank you for taking the time to write it up for us to read and help some of us decide our possible future plans.

Jeff

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  2. yvr1

yvr1 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Ok, so you managed to identify 2 tr's written that day, of which one was MINE, and you paraphrase MY WORDS, but you were talking about someone else. Glad you cleared that up for me. Thanks....lol.

BTW Jeff, I agree with you on one point. I did in fact lower my standards. I lowered them to that of what $1000 looks like anywhere else in the travel industry. I have a pretty good deal of experience to draw from, while by your own admission you have none, and I can tell you that $1k doesn't normally go very far. You seem to have expectation of Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental quality but at a Howard Johnson price. When I stay at the Four Seasons and pay between $500-$1k+ per night for just a room, I have high expectations. When I pay $1k for 8 nights including food, drinks and direct flights, I don't. Why is this so hard to understand?

I hope you'll take TTR to task on your next trip the way you have GOV despite never having set foot on the premises. The fanboys and their glowing trip reports are the primary reason why TTR can continue to operate without consequence despite offering such a shoddy product.

3. summerbum

summerbum I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +738 / 0
    ((((Hugs for everyone on this thread)))

Imagine Bobby McFarrin's "Don't worry, be Happy" playing softly in the background while you read this, okay?

We are so lucky to know both Slopoke and Jeff&Jill outside the virtual walls of Cancuncare. I know both of these couples have stressed about whether they are spending their vacation time and dollars the right way, and they genuinely want to help the rest of us who are struggling with the same decision. I see this discussion as a thoughtful deliberation of the pros and cons intended to help us get to the bottom of the "Mystery of the Weirdly Opposite Reviews," and I think this has really cleared some of that up for us.

My takeaway: Some of us vacation to relax and de-stress, and GOV provides a beautiful setting for doing that. Some of us vacation to let our inhibitions down and get crazy, and TTR is the better place to do that.

Some of us are rejuvenated by a beautiful beach and some quality time with our partner, so GOV is a great choice. Some of us are rejuvenated by reliving our frat party/spring break antics, so TTR is a great choice. We are going to meet other great people and have fun with them at either place.

Some of us party by night, so GOV gives us lots of access to Cancun clubs. Some of us party by day, so TTR gives us the sexy pool games.

Like every resort on earth, both places have some rooms that are nicer than others. All AI's in Mexico have to feed huge numbers of people from all corners of the globe on a reasonable budget; some things will taste good, and some won't.

Here are the two comments that have really solidified my decision:

From Jeff and Jill: "We never felt a NEED to switch, just some curiosity about what else might be out there" [Yep, this is exactly our situation!]

"In our case we perceive a number of the same non-excusable problems that don't seem to be getting addressed... And I don't feel like dealing with those particular problems. " [We all define "non-excusable" problems differently-- I excuse food and lines, which can be issues at both places, but we want to do theme nights without feeling like we're "THOSE people." We like to blend in. So, the fact theme nights aren't taking off is our "particular problem."

And Desire66, I can't thank you enough for this comment because it made the decision crystal clear for me: "It's very nice but it leaves you feeling you should be having a even better time then you are having." [This is what Todd and I keep coming back to. For us it's about the fun. I don't care what my room looks like. I drink so much on vacay I forget to eat the food anyway. I've waited in long lines at PatyO's just like I would at the Coyote bar...I just don't want to spend a week feeling like I'm missing out on the fun. You were able to express just what I needed to hear!]

So, thank you to everyone who has helped us sort through these issues. Please know we have appreciated that you have been generous enough to take the time to help us. Whether the reviews are "positive" or "negative," each gives us a snapshot that helps us make the choice that's best for us.

4. StewKris2000

StewKris2000 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for this! Now, everybody hug it out!

5. Dub&Scarlett

Dub&Scarlett Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well stated! But what about us who want GOV beach pool during the day with TTR theme parties at night? LOL! I couldn't resist.

6. Donald

Donald Devil's advocate Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 2

Stay at TTR and get GOV day passes

couldn't resist ;)

7. StewKris2000

StewKris2000 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Haha! There's always a shit-stirrer around, isn't there? ;)

8. slopoke3

slopoke3 Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +332 / 0
    In the end.....and as has been pointed out... there is no perfect resort that can meet each and every expectation of everyone (at any price point). As Summerbum said....it's a matter of what is really most important to you in a vacation. I purposely didn't give an opinion on whether or not you should go to GOV.......but do believe that GOV is a good value and great place to stay.......just not for everyone.

9. Just Jeff

Just Jeff Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Somebody please turn off the lights this thread has ended!

Love you all...enjoy your vacations!

Jeff

10. jeff & deb

jeff & deb I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0
    yeah but the safe at TTR is Free...LOL

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice