Got permanent residency yet?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    I don't think Mat is the only one who doesn't get your point.

Allowing a permanent resident unrestricted access to employment is not exactly a novel concept nor a detrimental one. Why shouldn't any employer be able to give a job to someone who has the right to reside permanently?

As Mat says, other countries have a problem with immigrants being legal residents without both financial resources nor, in many cases, any intention of seeking employment.

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    It's not the granting of a right to work, along with permanent residency, that is the peculiarity in the way this has been set up: it's the ease of becoming a permanent resident. I don't know of another country that has made reaching this status this easy, and I don't fully understand why they did it.

This is not about attracting highly qualified people, as nothing other than a showing of financial resources is required for entry to this job market.

It's not even about living here, you don't have to intend to live here, or actually live here, to qualify. This contrasts greatly with the U.S., for example, where residence is required to maintain resident status, once it is obtained. Stay out of the country too much of the time and this status can be lost: here, there is no such restriction.

Nor is it about investing here, nor even spending any money here, as none of these is required, either.

These are just a few of the apparent anomalies in this new law.

3. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    What is the level of financial resource that allows someone to qualify for permanent residence 'easily'?

I don't really follow these things much these days.

4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    For an individual, evidence of an income stream from abroad of just under $2,000/month; or, bank deposits or other financial assets abroad totaling just under $100,000 USD.

That, plus asking for it in the proper form is about all that is required to get permanent residency here.

The complete institutional indifference to any other criteria is amazing: no criminal check is required, no evidence you've ever actually been to Mexico or have any connections to the country, no evidence you actually intend to live here- the list of what they might care about, and don't, is limited only by the imagination.

The reality, of course, is few would apply who have no interest at all in the country, but the bar for permanent residency is indeed set very low, but not low enough for those with minimum social security benefits, who did have a shot at it under the old law.

5. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    In that case, it's not a low bar when you consider the country we are talking about.

The minimum wage in Mexico is less than $5 USD a day ($120 USD per month for a 6 day week) *1 A Mexican on minimum wage could only attain assets of $100,000 USD if they saved 50% of their income for 32 years (without allowing for appreciation). I understand that is minimum wage and there are many who earn above that, but most Mexicans make nowhere near the rate of pay required for a foreigner to attain permanent residency.

Given the job market and pay rate here, I'd be reasonably certain that most expats who live here due to meeting the financial requirements wont be looking for jobs, but they will be spending their money. Offering 'easy' permanent residency to people who have an income of 16 times that of much of the regular population has to be a good way of increasing money coming in to the country.

*1 Salarios Mínimos - 2012

6. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mexico is far from the first place to have these "easy" rules. Australia, New Zealand, Canada(although waiting time can be a b*tch) or just some with fairly "easy" access when it comes to acquiring Permanent Residency.

Sweden is even easier ;) "Oh, hello... I dont wanna live in my country - can I move here? - But why dont you want to live in your won country?? - Im scared of... something.. - Ohhh, by all means - welcome! Here are your free language classes, provided by the Govt, along with your apartment, school/kindergarten(sometimes with interpreters! :D ) and sufficient cash per month to cover expenses, such as food, bills(phone, internet, cable-tv etc.), news paper subscriptions, clothing and the best part: "fun" - such as eating out, alcohol, entrance fees to football("soccer"...) games and such :)

I found Australia to be a breeze compared to Mexican immigration.

7. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Marlo,

As to the 1st paragraph above, V does. I think it is his hobby but he is clearly the most knowledgeable of not only the process, but the law itself. If he posts it on this forum, you can take it to the bank.

As to the 2nd paragraph, I am not sure when you were last here but the lines are usually dreadfully long. Unless you really have your stuff together you have to go about 4 times at a minimum. Once for the info, once to turn in your "app", once more for your fingerprints and paying (and you might have to make this in two trips) then to pick up your card. If you are doing a renewal or changing the quality of your status, like going from temp res to perm res, and you have to go out of Mexico for any reason, then you have two more trips to make. It can get tedious.

Now, if you happen to be pregnant or with a very young child or baby, or be 60 years or older, they will let you go right in. Forget the lines. N/A

8. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    PS

It's not unheard of to stand in line for an hour or more, especially early am, just to get in the door to get your info or to just get the ficha to go to your next step. Then you can wait a long time to do that next step.

Lines seem to be a way of life with CANCUN INM.

9. Castor

Castor Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Makes sense to me. I don't see the problem with the new immigration law. It attracts mostly wealthy people who will spend the money in the country. If some of them accept jobs, why not?

10. bt

bt Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Got my permanent resident card today-24 days also

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice