Got permanent residency yet?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Jul 22, 2013.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Who puts your case together for you, Sam? This should not be this hard.

With your wife sponsoring you, each time, and you reporting no income, does this mean she has a rather large income? Or, is it a close case, and therefore a little more of a hard sell, because she does not?

I don't know why you would think your having no income to declare can possibly help in any way. It would probably be an easier sell if you did.

When the case was put together, was a family budget included, to show that the means are sufficient, given the way the family lives? (This is an example of advocacy, bolstering the persuasiveness of what might otherwise be a close case.)

Tristan is right to be little alarmed about long waits between visits: the passage of time increases the likelihood of files being misplaced and other mishaps. Checking once a month would not be too much of a burden and, if there is documentation you could submit to help them reach a favorable decision why wouldn't you want to know that?

I'm not trying to be tough on you, I know how psychologically challenging it is to deal with that office.

2. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just been busy and not too keen to go. You are right, going once a month makes sense. My wife deals with all of it and it's done through her income from abroad, it's been no problem in the past, just very slow and just had to redo the paperwork each time and then they say 'need this' 'need that' and I think why didn't they just tell us everything at the start, take the paperwork, say come back in 2 months, done ready but is that hoping for way too much?

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Sorry to say, it is. :icon_sad:

There is something I've not seen mentioned elsewhere, but for those hoping to go from temporary to permanent resident, here is an instruction from the INM website regarding a requirement that could at least cause delay, if not complied with:
    So, in addition to the list of documents which must be enumerated in the comments section of the application, online, there is this, as well.

4. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just got an email from the lawyer saying that my card was ready and to pick it up from immigration.

Do I have to make the line and then the line inside or is there a fast track to just pick up the card?

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Dreamer!

Well, they have their version of a fast track, anyway.

You get in the usual lines, and are given a "turn" number. The only people in line ahead of you will be those who are also there just to pick up their cards. The one clerk (the bottleneck) who handles this job can process about eight/hour. They were on number 33 when I was there at 1 PM....

She will need to see the formato given you when the case was filed: if you don't have one, ask your lawyer for a copy.

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I continue to be amazed at the amount of misinformation which circulates among the expats on the subject of immigration.

Last night I was with a couple who said they were going to apply for three years temporary residency, next time, rather than permanent residency. When I asked them why, they said it was because they had read on another forum that they needed four years temporary residency to go to permanent and, so far, they had only one.

Of course they needn't wait to apply for permanent: they have a large retirement income and could go directly to permanent.

As laws go the Mexican Immigration Law is not particularly complex, and the procedures even less so. It's a pain to go through the process- owing to wait times between stages, the need for multiple trips to the office, and long lines- but that's all, really. Really....

7. tristan1749

tristan1749 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Got my permanent residency card 50 days after filing. Would've been 40 days, except I didn't check the web site very often. Used the 4 years of FM2 and 3 bank statements of 15000 peso deposits each month. I think they're taking it easy on long time residents. NO MORE INM!!!

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Congratulations on a rewarding wait!

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    My wife today completed the final steps to receive the hard card, permanent resident document. It went smoothly. We were in and out in under two hours of waiting and processing time, including the time it took to submit a request for a Permiso de salida y regreso, which she needed because she has travel planned before she'll get the hard card back.

There is one change of note in the way they appear to be doing things: they are now routinely pulling anyone who looks infirm, or of tercera edad, out of the line outside, greatly speeding up the process/waiting time for those categories of applicants. Having a white beard, I was pulled from the line and taken inside, much to my amazement and delight, though I was there on behalf of my wife! She benefited from my perceived, advanced age, and was happy to get out of the heat.

10. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am still don't have my permenant visa but it's because I had to leave the country. I went to get a permiso de salida 6 days before I flew, I completed everything online before I went and paid at the bank at 8.30. I went in and dropped off all the paperwork. I came back 5 days later and went in, showed them both papers (the one for the permiso and the permenant visa one) they said my main visa is ready to be paid and I really should pay it and do my finger prints before I left but I didn't have the money so I told them that and they said you can try. Got my ticket, went up and handed over papers and waited then 15 mins later, signed and I had my permiso. I have to go back within 10 days of returning, when I plan to have paid the full amount for the permanent visa and try and get that done when I confirm my return. Fingers crossed I can get it all sorted but the permiso was pretty easy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice