Got permanent residency yet?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Jul 22, 2013.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I wonder how many of our readers have now gone through the process of obtaining permanent residency here?

So far, Steve has said he has; I believe that Davisod has said he has, and I have. My wife has just started the process and is a long way from the finish line.

Are there other readers who have completed this process? Perhaps you'd like to tell us about it.

2. Cancunteacher

Cancunteacher Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I applied the very first day of the new rules. I also handled my wife's application. about a month later. For the most part the process was smooth. The INM staff really helped us out when there was an issue with my wife's application. In the end it took abouy four months from start to finish. We both got our permanent residence cards on the same day. We are so happy to not have to deal with this process any more. Saving thousands of pesos each year of fees is also a nice bonus.

3. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I did as well.

My work took care of it.

They filed everything. I showed up about 3 months later for finger prints.

The waiting line is funny. Everyone sort of claims a place in line outside then retreats to the shadows. I didn't understand this and just waited in line out in the sun for it to open with the other gringo/german/swedish/etc. sorts. Then when the doors open the Latin invasion sprung from the shadows and entered the line. :)

Once inside I played musical chairs for about an hour, did my finger prints and left. Just waiting for the card now and hope never to have to go back.

On a side note, if you are a mum with a young baby, do not be responsible and make arrangements for someone to care for your child while you go to immigration. Simply bring child with you and a forlorn look and you'll get to jump the line.

The immigration staff were friendly except for the rent-a-cop on the door who has a bit of a power trip (don't they all). Everyone else was great.

4. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Yes, this loose arrangement is hard to accept. Even in Russia people would ask, "Who is last?" This set the pattern for later, when the line formed. Here, it is much more informal, with everybody just supposed to know where they fit in.

This is a problem mainly very early in the day: after the line forms, things get a little more orderly....

The INM is now trying harder than ever, it seems, to keep the lines orderly and the process fair to all, but there are still those who find a way to "cut". With the long waits, the Temptation to do something to get an advantage is great.

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Mat, do you know the route they took to establish your right to permanent residency?

Was it based entirely on four or more years temporary residency, plus your work- local bank accounts, and taxes paid- without any regard to resources available to you from abroad? Or, did they add evidence of resources available to you from abroad? Or, did they base it entirely on resources available to you from abroad, with no reference to your work? Or, are you married to a Mexican lady, and have at least two years of temporary residence, plus resources sufficient to sustain a family here? (I'm running out of ideas, here!)

6. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi V,

I'm not sure to be honest.

I'm not married. I've had two FM2s.

The lawyer didn't ask for any information, all I had to provide was:

DOCUMENTOS REQUERIDOS:
    1.-PASAPORTE ORIGINAL
    2.-DOCUMENTO MIGRATORIO ORIGINAL
    3.-COMPROBANTE DE DOMICILIO ACTUALIZADO
    4.-COPIAS DE SUS DOCUMENTOS MIGRATORIOS ANTERIORES. (she had all these for the last 5 years) - Note to others - keep copies of your past documents, you may need them.

A few months later they said it had been accepted. She then called me and asked a few questions that she filled in online (race, height, where I lived before Mexico)

I then went and did my fingerprints, and now I'm waiting for the card.

It was all very painless really, so far one trip to immigration for a couple of hours.

No thought was required on my part, I just handed in the above list and that was it.

I didn't provide evidence of local banks, or income from abroad, or taxes paid. As far as I'm aware.

Total cost was 4800 pesos (1000 for the lawyers time I guess?)

Ahhhh - the lawyer is also the pagadora - so maybe they had all my financials or something?

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Thanks for the extra detail. What you've said has confirmed that four years in temporary residency can be enough, if you're employed here.

The law speaks of three routes to permanent residency which are not founded in familial relationships; a) four years of temporary residency; b) proof of large resources abroad, without four years of temp residency; c) points. You appeared to have made it on the first, as an employed person; others will be in the position of having the four years, but needing to show financial resources abroad. Just how much they might have to show, to minimally qualify, is left ambiguous in the law.

No one I know of has applied as a "rentista" with four years residency (a, above) without having produced evidence (whether falsified or not) of the means to go straight to permanent residency (b, above); thus, they have not tested the threshold minimum I'm speaking of- which is left to the discretion of the local office, just as in familial cases, as I read and understand the law.

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    No, those were all official fees- 1,000 pesos non-refundable is paid with the filing; then, another 3,815 when the issuance of the document is approved.

9. tristan1749

tristan1749 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My wife just got fingerprinted and is waiting for her permanent residency card, now after applying strictly based on 4 refrendos on her fm2. No employment. I'm going the same route, but I just turned in my documents.

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Tristan, since you didn't mention any evidence of financial resources submitted with your wife's application I wonder if you could add a little detail about those particulars.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice