Gorgeous Young Blonde Looking For Trabajo!!

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by HammieJ, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    HammieJ

I could use a little mouth to mouth from time to time. Oops, there I am getting bad again.

But I am in Cancun.

2. Cancun Couple

Cancun Couple Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Hammi,

My wife and I live in Cancun, and have for a year now. We have been in Mexico for a total of 4.

If you plan to move here, I would advise you to do a trial move. First off, you need to look into getting your FM3. You can get that in the Mexican Embassy in the city where you live. They have criteria, so read it, and make sure you can produce the documents that you need.

Once you have an FM3. Then you can come down for a trial visit of 4 to 6 months. If you can manage to get a WORKING FM3( I believe you need corporate sponsorship ) good for you, but I would count on only getting a living one.

One of the reasons for a trial move, and by that I mean bring your clothes and survival things and that's it, is because you may NOT like the loss of some of the things you have in the states. For instance, you can get a high speed connection, but it AINT that high speed. If you need a new computer, well it just MIGHT be in spanish, unless you dont mind a trip to either Florida or Mexico city to get one in english.

Getting a Job here will Number 1 not be easy, and number 2 will hardly EVER pay what you are used to. ON top of that, even with the BEST paying jobs, it is NOT cheap to live in Cancun. In fact, Cancun has been listed as one of the TOP 5 most expensive places in Mexico to live. TRUST ME I AM NOT TRYING TO TALK YOU OUT OF MOVING HERE. WOULD LOVE TO SEE THAT FACE On the streets from time to time :)

While most things are in general cheaper here some are more expensive. If you have a taste for milk and purchase by the gallon it will cost you 7$ in wall mart. However on average beef is half the price. But at the same time, we are paying 2.86 or so per gallon of gas.

The interest rate for a bank loan here is on average of 12 to 15 % or more so it makes buying a car here a bit expensive. Good thing is, taxis are cheap and buses are plenty.

If after reading this, you are still interested in the move, Please be careful keep your eyes open, and be smart. You can have lots of fun and a great life here, But you can also lose your BOTTOM in more ways than one.

If you decide to do the trail or just jump in head first I "MIGHT" be able to help you with a part time job. PM me to discuss it. But it wont pay what you are used to in the states.

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I STILL bring shampoo back from the US as I can't find shampoo here that I like without paying 4 x too much for it. And shoes? I can't find normal everyday shoes here. And clothes, I rarely buy any clothes here, the quality is low and the prices are high and the styles are for people who like everything too tight. My running shoes get brought in from the US. Books, I lug those back from the US. And vitamins? I can only find low quality vits here.

And don't think you can just order the things you need over the internet and have things shipped here. The shipping charges will kill you and Customs may well make trouble too. Living in Mexico basically means giving up on lots of creature comforts. But it's not all bad, it makes it cheaper to live here when you can't find half the stuff you need...

4. johndish

johndish Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    let's face it

For the vast majority of people giving up life in the states and moving to Mexico is much more dream than reality. I was lucky I had a job that was paid by a u.s. employer at u.s. wages and life was still not easy.

I moved to Cancun basically blind on a job transfer and there is a very large culture shock to be had additionally the infrastructure is terrible, the traffic terrible, but, the people great.

the poverty is tremendous, the crime is real, the litter/trash everywhere is real. but, life is what you make of it. I had a great life in Cancun and normally the positives outweighed the negatives.

what you get is somewhat dependant on what you expect....

5. Dougout

Dougout Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    WOW

The amount and quality of the advice posted on this topic is amazing. Everyone please pat yourself on the back!!!!!!! Very impressive. :!: :)

6. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    HammieJ: If you take time you can find cheaper houses/flats in centro. We pay 3500 MXP/month(inculdes gas, water and electricity) for a flat on Coba - Bonampak(across the street from Plaza Nayandei) :)

For jobs I would check Novedades and www.computrabajo.com.mx.

However, I had the most luck with just pribnting a whole heap of CV`s/resumes and taking a day to hand them to HR at all the different places that interested me. Worked out sweet! :)

7. Cancun Couple

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Unless you are buying custom made shampoo then you need to check some of the GROCERY stores. They have the MAJOR brands and there is NO DIFFERENCE.

As for Shoes, Tennis shoes Running shoes?? Try checking La Isla Mall.. Got a great pair of New Balance Running shoes the other day for 39.99. Would have paid 100 or more in the US.

Clothes are a little pricey here but not unbearably so. You can shop in Liverpool or Sears or even some of the smaller shops in like Cancun Paseo Mall.

Vitamins. Try GNC. its the same.

Shipping things in is WAY too costly to be worth it. the Tax or the cost of the box size is usually more than the items.

8. HammieJ

HammieJ I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    oh wow... well i rarely wear sneakers but i have about 20 pairs here anyway that i could bring with me. I sure as heck DONT take vitamins, lol.... and i rarely buy anything to be shipped(although i hear its quite addicting and I'm sure I would get addicted to it quickly) :D :D :D :D

I have lots of clothes... but I know walmart has shirts like 5-7 bucks each. So ill be fine.

I was wondering if Mexico has taxes? Like property tax and income tax, sales tax etc. Do they sell Peugeot in Mexico?

9. Cancun Couple

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Yes they have taxes if you own a home or business. And I believe there is an income tax. You are from the US so you have to pay them taxes as well.

There is a nice Peugeot place right across the street from the main Wal Mart so that way you can grab a T on your way to get a new car.

Like I said before the best way and ONLY way to know if living in Mexico is for you, is to come and visit for about 4 to 6 months.

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, there is a difference, there's a big difference. Just ask my hair! The salons here have some of the good shampoos but the prices are often two or three times what I pay in the US for the same brand.

Saucony Shadow 6000, not found in Mexico, I've been running in them for 15 years without a single injury, I'm not going to stop now. As for other daily wear shoes, the shoes I've bought have here begun to fall apart after just a few wearings. And don't think I haven't called every girlfriend I have here asking where to buy shoes...they all agree...buy them in the US...If you find shoes here that you like then I imagine you have different taste that I do, lucky you.

The main problem is I don't like the clothes here. The clothes here are often slutty and meant to be worn tight, as evidenced by all the fat women here who wear clothes so tight that you can see every roll of fat they have. I like styles I can't find here at prices I can't find here. I don't want to overpay for poor quality clothes that I think are ugly.

GNC is expensive and by my standards their vitamins are not the best quality. Whole Foods or Wild Oats sell better vitamins. I want to find "whole-food" vitamins, preferably with organic ingredients.

I know, I'm a princess...but I like what I like and much of it is hard to find here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice