Gorgeous Young Blonde Looking For Trabajo!!

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by HammieJ, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HammieJ

HammieJ I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Hello! I am just short of 23 years old, and I'm from New Jersey, USA. I love Cancun so much and would love to make it my home. I am very outgoing and English is my main language. I took 7 years of Spanish class and live in a predominantly Puerto Rican City. I would say I'm semi-fluent, but trying to learn more. I am looking for work that has decent pay. I'm not sure of what the wages are like in Mexico.... or even what the cost of living is. I wouldn't mind working at a hotel(check-in, concierge, entertainment staff, hotel shops, etc) or even with an outside company selling wristbands or passes to nightclubs. I am not skinny enough to be a dancer or anything like that, but I'm very outgoing and friendly. In the united states I'm an EMT(Emergency Medical Technician), so I am CPR certified if someone needed a lifeguard. I wouldn't mind working at Aquaworld, or one of their hotel locations, or even an outside travel company like applevacations or such.
    If interested please message me on here!
    Thank you So much!

2. justjimmy

justjimmy Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry

Hate to burst your bubbles, oops bubble. You would not likely land any of the jobs you mentioned. If a Mexican can do the job they wouldn't give it to an American.

Jimmy

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can you teach English or sell timeshare? Those are the jobs that you are likely to get permission from immigration for.

I think you might benefit from doing a search of the archive of this forum. Lots of people have asked these questions before. There's lots of great info in the archive about jobs, cost of living and the pain and agony of Mexican Immigration.

4. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Attn. Steve Coker

5. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There's an American working as a bartender in Pat o' Briens Jimmy and I know others working at kids clubs in hotels - people do get lucky...not saying its easy, but its not impossible. Like RiverGirl says check the previous posts (bring plenty of money!) Look on computrabajo.com.mx, contact apple, dolphin discovery, look for rep jobs with the travel companies here, send me your CV as i work for a travel company that employs foreigners.

Pay heed to the less positive posts but if you really want something you can usually get it, right?? :D

6. HammieJ

HammieJ I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    true! What is a cv? hehe, that would be nice but I don't have a lot of money to bring :( How much does the average job in mexico pay? What about the average cost of living for a rental and monthly bus pass? They said to search on here but i search "pay" and "cost of living" and didnt find anything. I did find things on the fm3 though.

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Landing to the left end of the bell curve per chance? A CV is a Curriculum Vitae, better known in the US as a Résumé:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curriculum_vitae

If you don't have 6 months worth of savings when you move here you will not make it here. Save as much as you can before you make the move. To live in Cancun downtown comfortably (but not travel) you probably need at least $2000 USD per month. Most people here don't make that much unless they own their own business or have been with a company for quite a while.

8. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I lived on approx. $1000-1200 USD a month. My house cost $300 per month and was in an excellent location (Av Chichen and La Costa), but I looked high and low for a place to live for a while before scoring that.

I never went out in the Hotel Zone (never really wanted to, but also didn't have the money).

There is NO way I would have survived in Cancun without two things in my favor: I speak Spanish fluently and I arrived with savings for about 3 or 4 months. And I had a healthy respect for the fact that Cancun is in a foreign country, though many things there approximated what I was used to in the States compared to other places that I've lived in and visited.

9. BVG_Steve

BVG_Steve Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know the young lady who works in our admin office for the hoa is computer literate, speaks very good english etc, she makes 9500 pesos per month. The security supervisor who works 6x12 hour days speaks very good english and he makes 3300 pesos bi-weekly.

wages are not good from what I can see

10. elleboogs

elleboogs Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When I was younger I got a job working for a few different american tour agencies in Cancun which ultimitaley landed me with mtv. Springbreak/Summer break is when I was doing the sorts of things you described, but no selling. Usually they just have you walk around (hotel to hotel, beach to beach, etc...). Basically, wherever you aren't going to get kicked out of, and they have you "promote" the venue for that evening. It was very easy, but I can tell you that you have no life outside of work! You are also expected to work the venues that night too. I was young and didn't care!!! LOL. I was paid cash, sometimes pesos, sometimes USD (all the companies did that). I believe it was 5000 pesos weekly. The men made more. However, we didn't have any rent to pay, nor did we have to pay for food at certain restaurants. Oh and all the alcohol was free. So really - what did I have to spend my money on?? Propinas and Taxis!!!

Anyways, good luck!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice