Good Quality Potatoes and Frozen Lamb

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by SamCancun, Dec 15, 2009.

1. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As an American I have never cooked roast potatoes. I have had them but usually deep fried and then here they call them potatoe wedges. When I have roast turkey I always have mashed potatoes, drenched in turkey gravy. What do you call mashed potatoes?

2. GONZO

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As an American I have never cooked roast potatoes. I have had them but usually deep fried and then here they call them potatoe wedges. When I have roast turkey I always have mashed potatoes, drenched in turkey gravy. What do you call mashed potatoes?

3. GONZO

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

4. GONZO

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

5. GONZO

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

6. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Never make assumptions. Traditional Thanksgiving and Xmas dinners in the US feature mashed potatoes, often covered in gravy, as Gonzo has cited. The English style roast potato is not a common dish, although I've been married to the Limey for so long, it's become part of the menu at our house. She loves them.

Another traditional holiday tuber is the sweet potato or yam, which is the foundation for a whole new discussion as to whether they're the same (they're not). Sweet potato can be served mashed or, as you would say, in the jacket. Yams are generally mashed. Another fancy varient at high-end burger and steak places are fried sweet potatoes, which I guess you would refer to as sweet potato chips (see my previous post for the fried vs chip discussion).

Then there are potatoes gratine, or au gratin, or potatoes gratin dauphinois. And home fries, cottage fries, etc, etc.

Potatoes are a New World veggie that's been dated back to cultivation in what is now Chile 10,000 years ago. They made it across the pond in 1536. Henry VIII didn't get fat by eating potatoes. They were only know in Europe during the last 12 years of his life. Just imagine, England without potatoes!

In the 21st Century the average global consumption is about 33 kilos per person per year (thank you CIA Factbook and Wikipedia).

7. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Never make assumptions. Traditional Thanksgiving and Xmas dinners in the US feature mashed potatoes, often covered in gravy, as Gonzo has cited. The English style roast potato is not a common dish, although I've been married to the Limey for so long, it's become part of the menu at our house. She loves them.

Another traditional holiday tuber is the sweet potato or yam, which is the foundation for a whole new discussion as to whether they're the same (they're not). Sweet potato can be served mashed or, as you would say, in the jacket. Yams are generally mashed. Another fancy varient at high-end burger and steak places are fried sweet potatoes, which I guess you would refer to as sweet potato chips (see my previous post for the fried vs chip discussion).

Then there are potatoes gratine, or au gratin, or potatoes gratin dauphinois. And home fries, cottage fries, etc, etc.

Potatoes are a New World veggie that's been dated back to cultivation in what is now Chile 10,000 years ago. They made it across the pond in 1536. Henry VIII didn't get fat by eating potatoes. They were only know in Europe during the last 12 years of his life. Just imagine, England without potatoes!

In the 21st Century the average global consumption is about 33 kilos per person per year (thank you CIA Factbook and Wikipedia).

8. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

9. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

10. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice