Good Quality Potatoes and Frozen Lamb

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by SamCancun, Dec 15, 2009.

1. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    POTATOES

Based on previous attempts and discussions with other people, we've established that the reason it's so hard to get decent roast potatoes here, is due to the quality of the spuds? Personally i've only ever seen one type for sale, always loose and never in packets. Does anyone know if there is anywhere that sells high quality potatoes for roasting, like they do in other countries?

Failing that, any tips on how to get them good? What my Dad does is put them in a deep fat fryer to get them nice and crispy and this way you don't have to wait 2 hours for a pathetic oven to limply half bake them (this is what my oven does at best) BUT i've never used a deep fat fryer and not sure if it's worth the investment plus it's a guaranteed route to a big belly! :wink:

LAMB

Does anyone know if the Lamb for sale in Costco is fresh? It's not frozen when you but it, but i'm guessing it was frozen at some point to get it over here? They have best before dates of like a week or two in the future aswell but i bought one last year and it was really good. However, i've seen them much cheaper but frozen solid in Mega and Chedraui, do you think there would be much difference in taste between defrosting a frozen one and a supposedly 'fresh' Costco one, both are New Zealand lamb.

Also, does anyone know anywhere else you can buy fresh lamb legs?

Thank you in advance :)

2. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    POTATOES

Based on previous attempts and discussions with other people, we've established that the reason it's so hard to get decent roast potatoes here, is due to the quality of the spuds? Personally i've only ever seen one type for sale, always loose and never in packets. Does anyone know if there is anywhere that sells high quality potatoes for roasting, like they do in other countries?

Failing that, any tips on how to get them good? What my Dad does is put them in a deep fat fryer to get them nice and crispy and this way you don't have to wait 2 hours for a pathetic oven to limply half bake them (this is what my oven does at best) BUT i've never used a deep fat fryer and not sure if it's worth the investment plus it's a guaranteed route to a big belly! :wink:

LAMB

Does anyone know if the Lamb for sale in Costco is fresh? It's not frozen when you but it, but i'm guessing it was frozen at some point to get it over here? They have best before dates of like a week or two in the future aswell but i bought one last year and it was really good. However, i've seen them much cheaper but frozen solid in Mega and Chedraui, do you think there would be much difference in taste between defrosting a frozen one and a supposedly 'fresh' Costco one, both are New Zealand lamb.

3. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    POTATOES

LAMB

4. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    POTATOES

LAMB

5. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    POTATOES

LAMB

6. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Costco Lamb is the best.!
    You can buy better spuds there also- it packets.
    Par boil them and then get oven very hot - heat the oil also before you toss them in. That way they should be crispy.
    I changed oven 3 times thinking they did not work properly.Then someone checked the pressure on the gas tank and that was the problem. Now we get crispy roasties and cakes that rise.
    Good Luck
    Tracey
    ps roll par boiled spuds in a mixture of flour and parmesan before roasting them- delicious.

7. TraceyUk

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Par boil them and then get oven very hot - heat the oil also before you toss them in. That way they should be crispy.
    I changed oven 3 times thinking they did not work properly.Then someone checked the pressure on the gas tank and that was the problem. Now we get crispy roasties and cakes that rise.
    Good Luck
    Tracey
    ps roll par boiled spuds in a mixture of flour and parmesan before roasting them- delicious.

8. TraceyUk

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Good Luck
    Tracey

9. TraceyUk

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Good Luck
    Tracey

10. TraceyUk

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Good Luck
    Tracey

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice