Going to Holbox

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by jenleib, Dec 14, 2007.

1. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am going to Holbox for a few days. Can anyone tell me if I can go with my car there on the ferry (well I know I CAN, but not sure it is safe), or would you advise me against it?

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There is no need for a car there, the island is simply too small. The only vehicles I saw there were the truck to pick up garbage and one pickup truck. People there pretty much don't have cars.

I'm going to Holbox soon and will be leaving my car in Chiquila on the mainland and will take the ferry over and then will walk around Holbox.

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    First, let me tell you that the new road is open now and this cuts 15-20 minutes off your drive. Stay on the free road like you are going to Merida and turn right at the first road after km 282. It is newly paved.

Just stay on this road until it dead ends into the old road, which is the one the buses still take. Go right and you come to Chiquila where you get the ferry. You can park in several lots, a couple of which are covered, but covered only in the most liberal meaning of covered. About $50 Mxn per day for covered but you get ripped off a little bit as you pay for calendar days, not 24 hour periods. Meaning if you get there at noon and Friday and leave 48 hours later or noon on Sunday, well you pay for 3 days.

Rivergirl is correct. I don't think I have ever seen a private car on the island. You can literally walk anywhere you would want to go, or at least to 90% of everywhere. They have a ferry for delivery and construction vehicles but those vehicles typically go and come back the same day.

There are golf cart taxis to take you from the ferry to the hotels and you can rent golf carts if you want motorized transportation. My last couple of trips I have just walked to where I was staying and walk to where I needed to go. But walking from the boat with a heavy or a wheeled suitcase is not worth saving $20 pesos or so as the streets are not paved or smoothe.

4. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks T.J., your post is very informative and helpful.

I didn't know about any road, since it is the first time I go there :lol: , and thanks to the golf carts, I was a bit concerned about carrying my suitcases.

I don't either need a "covered" space, since I don't really like when the roofs fly :shock: , and here my parking lot is not covered. My car seems ok with that.

5. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    actually the shortcut is at km 262.

you can leave your car at one of the safe parking spot, there is a lot of them in chiquila...

6. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oops. km 262 is correct. I took a photo so I would not forget and then typed it wrong. Must be the Alzheimer's kicking in.

There is no way for sure to tell which lot is safe and which ones may not be. It is pretty much pot luck in that regard. I know I have used the same one several times and my friends who live on the island keep a car on the mainland in one of the lots with uncovered spaces. Neither of us have ever had a problem. I can drive to my lot but never thought about giving directions but it is on the right about 100 yards from the end of the road. There is a little store up front that the same folks operate and you enter the parking lot immediately to the left of the store. And there is always a lady and two younger girls working there. Sorry but I cannot nail it down any better than that.

7. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    the one i always use is "Don Patricio" and its around 35 pesos a day. its the first exit of the circle (on the right), high walls, heavy gates and roofs.

8. bncancun

bncancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We just got back from Holbox an hour ago. We paid $35 pesos per day for covered parking, and it sounds like it was the place TJ uses. It was fine except for the dead puppy in the road nearby that no one bothered to pick up.

KM 262 is well marked and is in the 2nd town you come to after leaving Cancun. That town is called Vicente Guerrero (I think). The first town is Leona Vicario.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice