going to Havana Cuba

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Rudyman, Feb 3, 2012.

1. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: My bad.

They traveled around pretty much the entire island. They stayed in hostels and home stays.

The traveling parts where done by bus and hitch-hiking.

Food was VERY basic, and mostly consisted of rice, beans and fish/chicken.

One of the 4 speaks a little bit of Spanish, so that helps, just as speaking Spanish when traveling in Mexico.

They mostly went to see the revolutionary stuff, landmarks (revolution), buy cigars and to snorkel, fish, hike and take photos of the local wildlife(mainly reptiles).

They are all bound to return in 2013 to "re-do" it all again.

The entire was done like a freestyle-thing: No bookings, nada.

2. Rudyman

Rudyman Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Windknot, V & Ram,

Appreciate your input. My wife and I want to go and get the feel of "Old Havana" staying at a better hotel, fine dining and of course the night club extravaganza floor show. Still very uncertain but still very much intrigues me.

Anyone else with more knowledge or experience in Havana?

3. tere

tere Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Not that I've been to Cuba, since I live in the USA but almost every Canadian friend and family member of mine goes. You should ask about Cuba in the Free For All section here...lots of Temptation-Canadians post there and might be able to help.

4. CancunNurse

CancunNurse Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cuba

Absolutely GO! Great place! No more boat...can fly with Click (Aeromexico). Been there 5 times...a memorable experience each time. PM me for more info...wonderful people, wonderful music, wonderful food!

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    www.cubana.cu is an airline that flies between Cancun and Habana/Havana, airport code HAV.

I don't believe that Aeromexico has flights to or from Habana.

Click was part of Mexicana (Grupo Mexicana) which ceased operating a couple of years ago, due mainly to owing a few hundred million pesos in federal taxes, and no doubt other economic issues.

I don't know of any other semi major airline that travels from Cancun to Habana.

6. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Would take no longer to post the information here, and perhaps there is more than one person who would be interested.

7. valgunn

valgunn Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've been to Cuba a dozen times over the last two years. My brother-in-law and sister were diplomats serving the US Intersection in Havana until last September. It is a wonderful place to visit, the from the people to the history of the place. My last visit, I actually went for a medical operation that would have cost me ten times as much in the states. The doctors were amazing, while the facilities were average.

Havana Vieja (Old City) is my personal favorite, such amazing architecture, like walking through the French Quarter, only ten times as large and far less drunks.

The Capitolio is a replica of the US Capital building and is well worth a visit (though it is closed for remodeling as of a month ago.)

Take a cigar tour of the Partagas factory (another place currently being remodeled) which is extremely interesting, as well as, the Havana Club Rum museum.

I've also caught several operas and ballets at the grand theatre which were very good.

Take a tour of the mansions in Miramar, Flores and Siboney where the majority of the country's foreign embassies are located. Especially nice is the bicycle tour, where you spend the day winding through the hills and tree-lined avenues--it's like riding though Beverly Hills in 1950's.

The only decent beaches are out at Playas del Este, which is a 20 minute ride out of the city, but it's close to the Hemingway house. The beaches are okay, but not near as nice as though further away on the island.

Be aware that the people of Cuba, though proud, are very poor and you will encounter many beggars and those working various scams. There is petty crime and prostitution, but really it is one of the safest places to visit in the world.

The worst part about Cuba honestly is the food. Outside of the paladars, all restaurants are state-run. Which means despite the name and cuisine, they're all getting ingredients from the same place. The food is low-quality and very bland. You will have much better luck from the paladars--which offer much better fare.

The country is full of people who are baseball fanatics. Catching an Industriales game is amazing (like a cross between Brazilian soccer and college baseball). I always bring a dozen or so baseballs to give away to kids playing in the street (often times with a rock and a stick).

Hope this helps!

8. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Thanks, Val, for filling in some information gaps on Cuba. On your many visits, have you ever stayed in hotels or resorts, there, and do you have some good reviews to offer?

Oye, Steve, I'm not trying to promote travel to Cuba, as I think it would be better placed in the "exotic" category owing to the inconveniences and discomforts sometimes reported (Val mentioned the food, for example). There are also legal issues relating to U.S. persons; but, it does offer a convenient destination for those living in Cancun who do not have the legal issues.

Two stories come to mind. U.S. Immigration asks those seeking to enter the country, "In which countries have you traveled." I saw an article speaking of a U.S. person who, upon being asked, said, "Cuba". He was immediately arrested, and charged. (Confess a crime and you leave the authorities no alternative but to act.)

This then reminds me of a personal experience, more amusing than informative. Entering the U.S., you must complete a customs form. I was bringing in a carpet with a declared value of $500. This was slightly above the limit for duty free and would have produced a modest tax, but required a lot of paperwork. Upon seeing my form, the U.S. customs agent exclaimed, "Why did you have to go and do that?" He then took his pen, crossed out my declaration of $500, wrote "$400", and said, "Now, get out of here!"

I suspect in the first illustration, in which the traveler declared he'd been to Cuba, the U.S. Immigration agents may have likewise been thinking, "Now why did you have to go and do that?"

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  9. valgunn

valgunn Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Usually I stayed at my family's place, but have spent some nights in a hotel. Loved Hotel Los Frailes in Habana Vieja. A very cool place to stay. Apart from Frailes, I recommend casa particulares rather than any of the resorts (none of the large hotels in Havana are great--Parque Central is probably the best of the lot). You will have IMO a much more enjoyable time renting a room out in a house, there are some very nice ones and will be much cheaper than a hotel. Casa Dania and Casa de Ana are two I can recommend. For an all-inclusive the Iberostar and Paradisus in Varadero are probably tops on the island, but you are far from Havana--you'd just go to the resort and do day trips from there.

For paladars (the only decent restaurants) I like La Fontana, Decameron, and San Cristobal in vedado is also good.

10. Rudyman

Rudyman Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great info Val, now we are getting somewhere with hands on info. Muchas Gracias!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice