~ Go Away IDA ~

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by janie, Nov 5, 2009.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Art Buchwald

Classic

2. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We haven't done anything special, just charging the battery powered lamp. We'll get a good storm tomorrow, but I fully expect to be back at work on Monday morning.

I hit some lovely floods today too, crazy amounts of water! I braved the tides and took a little video..... [media=youtube]PVnopaHB144[/media]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We have made some preps for lots of rain tomorrow. But we haven't bought any tuna fish.

I'm really hoping the city doesn't decide they need to turn of the power (like they did with Wilma). This whole thing will be a lot more pleasant if I can internet my way through it.

Anybody know if they are planning to close the airport tomorrow? You know who is supposed to work tomorrow. But we are hoping there's no reason for him to report for duty.

Mixz1 - I'm sorry to hear that you went snorkeling in the BMW. I hope she dries out properly and that all is well.

4. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Some flights cancelled this afternoon.If I get word from hubby I will let you know.He is in constant contact with his operations staff at the airport
    Tracey
    x

5. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    But you have enough cat food, right?? I mean, we gotta get our priorities in order. I agree with you about the power, too. The view with all the shutters closed sucks. Without the Internet or Dish I'll have to read a book by flashlight.

Thanks for the good wishes for the car, temporarily known as Das Boot. When Bonampak drains off in a month or so I'll zip over to the dealer and order the hideously expensive replacement for the piece missing from the bow.

We wish you and hubby a cuddly day off (stay off the net!), hopefully not building dams to keep the waters out.

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh but we have reusable dams. It took me all of half an hour to put them up...and I was even using the wrong kind of wrench (woulda been faster if I'd been willing to hunt through that mess he calls his toolshed).

We are now ready for 20 inches of rain to fall, we will be dry even if our neighbors have their furniture floating around their living rooms.

And all the cats are inside, even the three that normally only come in to eat and kvetch. We buy cat food in 20 lb bags, so we are well-stocked on that.

We even have a whole bag of chocolate truffles, just in case things get really rough.

And now it's not even raining. I'm waiting...and waiting...

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The NOAA update at 11:15 shows that Ida is now a Cat 1 hurricane. Woohoo...ra ra...yawn...wake me up if it gets interesting...

8. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah.. I'm trying to get excited about it.. as its been so long since the last storm even came near us.. but I expect street flooding will be the extent of it unless it makes a sudden westward shift which is highly unlikely.... I doubt the city will turn off power since its not considered a dangerous storm.. and they were still selling beer a few hours ago when I went out, so seems like everyone is expecting this to be a non-event.

BTW: If your street is prone to flooding you might want to disconnect the negative terminal on your car's battery to prevent it from shorting out the computers if water manages to get to the wires... Wilma got a lot of cars that way when it came thru... I dont really expect it to be a problem here, but if you know the water can get high on your street... well... maybe you shouldn't have parked there... :lol:

9. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know someone that a few years back decided to drive through a Puddle just before what is now Sugoi Restaurant the dip after Tulum He proceeded and ended up with the cae 34 under water. Total loss. I have said many times nothing like an Explorer in Cancun. His car WAS a Porsche Boxter.

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When Wilma came through we actually jacked up the cars and put them on blocks in the driveway. One of them ended up with an inch or two of water on the floor, the other was dry inside. But if we hadn't jacked them up? Ouch.

If we'd realized our house was one of the lowest house on the street we may not have bought it. The street slopes downhill from us, but the houses down the street are all raised above the street.

Our house and the one in front of us and the one next to us are the first to flood. But it takes a lot of rain for that to happen.

During Wilma, on Friday night at 9 pm, we got a phone call from the guy next door neighbor saying he had water in the living room. Ten minutes later the neighbor across the street called saying they had 6 inches downstairs and their new couch was getting wrecked.

Our door dams kept the water out all through the storm. At one point there was close to a foot of water outside the house, but we never had more than a manageable trickle coming in the house.

The only reason we figured out that we were at risk for flood was because Tropical Storm Stan came through, just a couple of weeks before Wilma, and surprised us by bringing water up to the house.

At that point we figured out how to build reusable damns, and they saved us during Wilma. We've put them up 3 times since Wilma, but each time we didn't end up needing them....well the 3rd time was yesterday...so technically we haven't yet figured out that we don't need them this time...but it does look that way (knock wood).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice