~ Go Away IDA ~

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by janie, Nov 5, 2009.

1. janie

janie Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  2. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Canadian Dos Equis fan Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man Registered Member

Ratings:
    +177 / 0
    I think you made IDA sad... She looks depressed. :D

3. janie

janie Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :D good one!

4. sparksfly

sparksfly Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Riviera Maya

My wife and I are bringing our 3 kids to Riviera on Saturday for a week. We have no idea what to expect. Does this strom mean rain all week? Or just periods of rain? Any other information appreciated. Thanks! :?

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Help, I am drowning.

It has been raining, night and day, for a few days now. Not 24/7 but more rain than I care for.

janie - You know there is lots of flooding in the streets downtown. I was going to Soriana 2 days ago and the water was over a foot deep on the service road next to Andres Quintana Roo, where you make the right into Soriana.

sparksfly - My theory on weather is that tomorrow will be just like today and that has served me well. However, Hurricane Wilma taught me that this theory may work for day to day weather but not for the heavy duty stuff.

The link that janie posted is a good one. As I have checked it out for the last few days, it was a Tropical Storm one day, had hurricane level winds the next day, back to a TS later that that day, and today a Tropical Depression to hit a bit off the Cancun shoreline at Monday AM, to me meaning about midnight Sunday. My guess is that by Tuesday we will be having normal November weather. Plus, with the TS now a TD if could very well fizzle out before you even arrive.

Late last night, it rained pretty much until 6 am or so. Drank a lot of beer so I was up a lot. LOL.

At the moment, 10 am or so, there are light winds and it is overcast. Have not seen the sun today, nor do I expect to.

But like fishing and golf, a bad day in Cancun is better than a good day at work. Come, have fun, roll with the weather's punches and have a good time. I am fighting a little cold and took a windbreaker out last night, but left it in the car as it was not chilly at all.

Have a great flight and vacation.

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TJ - It ALWAYS floods in that spot, ALWAYS. It floods there in a 5 minute rainstorm. That's the first place in Cancun to flood.

I'm beginning to wonder how this storm might affect the beach restoration project? Will it undo their efforts? Will it compound their efforts? Will it swamp and sink the dredger?

Maybe I should go buy more tuna fish.

7. th@bvg

th@bvg Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The beach restoration is currently almost an elevated platform going out around 40/50 metres with no gentle shelving to the water. They marked out a line around 2-3 metres from the edge with sticks every 25 metres in a straight line (guessing that they are paid per m2 of restoration and need to extend beach to the point marked by the sticks). This morning the raised area in front of Sunset had been eaten into by the waves and a couple of the marker sticks were no longer there.
    I think that if some strong winds, surges and large waves come along it will be quite a kick in the teeth for their efforts.

8. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What happens to the beach will also be dependent on the track of the storm.

I think that if the storm passes east of us sand will be sucked toward the storm and away from the shoreline. And if the storm passes to the west of Cancun then sand will be sucked toward the storm and toward shore. Of course there are lots of factors, but I think that would be the general trend if I'm not mistaken.

My cat wants tuna fish.

9. sparksfly

sparksfly Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks!

Thanks for the info. We are from the midwest area of the US so this tropical storm stuff is new to us. When we get a storm it can rain for 5 days solid..so it is good to hear that will probably not happen in Mexico! We will land in Cancun around 1 on Saturday afternoon and are looking for a great time! If there are rain days..is there something that we should do that day that will still be fun? ie..sightseeing, ruin, etc? Thanks so much!

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There's only one thing to do here if it's raining. Drink.

Or maybe shop.

Or waste all your time on the internet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice