Globalization

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by twinimini, Aug 26, 2010.

1. 4biddenpleasrs

4biddenpleasrs I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    True but in this case and many like it, it's extremely frustrating to go through years of schooling and pay 10s of thousands of dollars for an education and not be able to work in that field.

I went to school for computer programming and unfortunately so did many other people. So many people that the market here was flooded by the time I left school.

Programmers were a dime a dozen. My buddy that works security at the Nuke plant makes a hell of a lot more money than I do and never had to carry the school debt. So I can totally understand the frustration that twin's daughter is feeling. Hell she's got it worse... her job has left the country.

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Sounds like you've done what you had to do, 4. That's what she'll have to do, as well. I seriously doubt she's going to have to settle for washing test tubes, but she may have to go where the best research is now taking place- whether that be India (at least they speak English there!), France, or China.

China welcomes talented people who are ready to make their contribution. A French company might consider her of sufficient interest to get her permission to live and work there, though she be American. Lots of pharmaceutical companies have labs in various parts of the world. If I were her, I wouldn't rule out this possibility, though it may not have been the life she had envisioned for herself when she began her studies. If she does well, she will advance, through the years.

3. Franco27

Franco27 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have to hold my hands up here and say i'm guilty of contributing to off-shoring, having hired a couple of programmers in Manila instead of local talent in the UK .. but to put it bluntly, why, when you're under cost constraints should you pay someone here £50k, when you can pay someone there £10k and get the same if not greater productivity out of them. From a business point of view it's a no brainer (unfortunately)

4. 4biddenpleasrs

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There's a fine line between maximizing profits and helping contribute to the local economy.

If you're getting a better bang for your buck with an off-shore contract that's fine but I remember getting better service from call centers when they were at least here in Canada.

Like with most subjects I'm pretty much on the fence. It's not bad unless everything starts going off-shore.

5. jeff & deb

jeff & deb I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0

I understand what your saying, my belief is we have done this to ourselves. With unions etc. How is a company to survive and compete.
    I am a regular worker and I know there are companies in my industry that outsource to India, they can pay, highly educated drafter 2.00 per hr and the average wage here in Alberta Canada is from approx. 21 - 35 per hr. Like you said its a no brainer... I however am lucky to be here in Canada working.

6. 4biddenpleasrs

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Totally agree.

There was a time when Unions were needed. When they fought for benefits, vacation pay, safety, etc. But now they just drive the costs up and keep production levels low.

7. jeff & deb

Ratings:
    +50 / 0

Wow believe it or not... We agree 4biddenpleasrs.. today is a good day. LOL

8. 4biddenpleasrs

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hahahah.. I'm not all bad.. *L*

9. jeff & deb

Ratings:
    +50 / 0

Never thought you were, I rather enjoy the debates, however somtime I do shake my head. LOL

10. 4biddenpleasrs

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Same here... I enjoy debates and have tread in some dangerous waters. Religion, gun control, health care, Afganistan, etc.

never take anything I say personally.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice