GIVE A TOY...GET A SMILE!

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Steve, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    This project organised by a group of Cancun expats aims to raise funds to be spent on toys and collect personal donations of toys to be given to underpivilidged children in the Cancun area at Christmas time.

If you are visiting Cancun between now and Christmas and wish to drop off a toy personally then please read this thread.
    http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25539

If you are not visiting Cancun before Christmas but still wish to contribute then please read on:

The press conference regarding this project took place today at My Place, we were lucky enough to be invited along. Journalists from two local newspapers were in attendance and a press release was given in English and Spanish. Hopefully, there will be articles in the newspaper which will generate even more interest.

Already, 55 toys have been collected and this will surely grow since there is still a long way to go before Christmas. Unfortunately, the toys that were on display around the Christmas tree were cleared away before I took a pic of them. Nancy, if you have any pics then please email them to me and I will post them.

Here's a couple of pics we did get:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I must admit I felt a little embarassed at the praise I personally received from the organisers, despite not really doing anything other than allowing publicity.

To make up for this I am going to offer to take paypal donations from those who aren't able to deliver toys in person. The funds will be passed direct to the organisers to purchase toys with. I will cover all paypal transaction costs myself, so if you donate $10, $10 is what will be spent on toys. I'll keep a detailed spreadsheet and offer it for third party audit.

If you prefer not to use paypal, but would rather mail a check please send a private message to Jamie and he will advise you on his address and will bring the funds with him on his trip in late November.

Just as a reminder these toys that are being collected are not to supplement middle class kids Christmas Stockings, they will be given to kids in the far out regions and villages. In places such as these, that the tourist rarely sees, many kids have never even seen toys let alone owned them. Their toys are the sticks and rocks they find around and the things their parents craft for them from what they can.

It doesn't matter whether it's $2, $5 or $100 everything helps and will be pooled together. We've done this before for a different charity at cancuncare with a great degree of success. Let's see what we can do this time.

If you wish to contribute then please visit this page to make your donation.
    http://www.cancuncare.com/toy-drive.htm

2. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    Having worked before on charity items with Steve in the past, I would like to offer my services toward this effort if that is acceptable.

I will be heading to Cancun on November 24th and had already planned to take a few toys with me.

In the past I worked as the third party auditor and collected checks in the US, converted them to cash and brought the money down with me. So Steve if you'll have me again as an assistant, I'd be more than happy to serve.

Jamie

3. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Sure! would be great to have you help out with this worthy cause.

You've been known around this particular board for a long time and involved with previous fundraising efforts with utmost integrity, so we'd be glad for you to join in.

I'm guessing that you're happy to accept personal checks to your home address, and details of that will be provided by PM to you on request? Please correct me if some other arrangement suits better.

4. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Here's the pic that Nancy sent me of the toys collected so far:
    [​IMG]

By the way, we have already received our first donation. Thanks! I'll post updated totals every week or so.

5. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    Sure, we can work it like before.

If you are interested in making a donation, send me a PM and I'll send you my address. Once I receie the check, I'll send you back a email and copy Steve. I'll cash the checks here in the states and take the cash down as a donation.

I leave the morning after Thanksgiving so try and get the checks here before then so I have time to cash them.

Jamie

6. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
  7. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Sorry I havent been keeping this as up to date as I should have.

As Christmas arrives the total paypal donations I have received is $473.48 every cent of which has been passed on to Nancy and spent on toys. Add to this the check Jamie passed on and the numerous toys and gifts dropped off the cancuncare contribution to this is well over $500. Please note that many of the toys will not go out until Three Kings Day which is January 6, so there is still time to add your contribution.

Many thanks to all who contributed so far. I know some toys have already been distributed and more will be handed out shortly. Pics and details will be provided just as soon as I have them.

Please also visit http://www.giveatoygetasmile.org/news.htm for news.

Here's a pic of some Cancun kids who received their gifts already.
    [​IMG]

Thanks to your efforts there will be more Cancun kids smiling this Christmas than otherwise would have been the case. And I'm sure that makes those that contibuted smile too :D

8. janie

janie Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks for the update, Steve!

The childrens smiles say it all !!!
    :D

9. Andii68

Andii68 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ? did you actually get the cash?

:D

Hola,

Just a little worried - not used Paypal before and a little concerned as to whether you actually got my cash?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Things have been a tad awful here, finding myself a single mom just before the start of the silly season and I would be very upset if my hard earned cash had not made it to you!

We just adore Mexico - well the tiny bit we've seen so far and we try to help where we can - goats and chickens and rabbits to Africa, hearing aids to Thailand etc , etc - soooooo many amazing projects and soooooo little personal disposable income!

My kiddies and I discussed what we could do without during december and january and managed to come up with $100 - just a drop in the ocean I realise, but.......!, the cause is so humbling - as are all the charities - who do you give to? how do you choose? soooo hard!

:D transfer no-2546 6523 7479 7541 - please, please tell me you got the cash!

We are determined to return - even if we have to live on beans for the next year (make that 18 months- lol) - well worth it i'd say ! we'll bring more stuff and we WILL find the BPSuites this time - lol!

Huge hugs all round,

Andi, Carey, Keira & Danny :D

10. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Hi, the last Paypal payment I received was 13 December and that was from the States. So it looks like no the paypal didnt go through. :?

If you log in to your paypal account then you should be able to see details of your transactions, hopefully that will verify that it didnt actually go.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice