Getting Prescription Glasses at Costco?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by WebDesigner, Jun 28, 2010.

1. WebDesigner

WebDesigner Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Has anyone ordered glasses from the Costco optician? What was the result?
    Would you recommend them?

thanks!
    Diana

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    And I'd like to hear recommendations, generally, about where to get glasses. I'd prefer to have trifocals (yes, it's come to that), and I have an astigmatism. In the states, this is called a complex prescription, and it's not done just anywhere in the world, but it's easy to get glasses like this done in the states in just a few hours.

I'd like to get this done here, if possible, because I'm not planning to visit the states anytime soon. Anybody had experience with this, in Cancun?

3. Cancun Fun

Cancun Fun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I got my contacts at Costco this year. I was surprised at how goood the exam was compared to the other places I have used here. Great price and easy...Trina is goin to get her contacts there this year too.

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is Trina going to get the bifocal or trifocal contacts?

Didn't you guys go to Devlyn once for contacts? Can you recommend or not recommend them to V?

5. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I always get my contacts at Costco now after horrid experiences at the Walmart optician. They screwed up my glasses big time, I am now the proud owner of Barbie brand glasses because of their mess. Next pair of glasses will come from Costco for sure.

6. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V,

I also have an astigmatism (in both eyes) and my prescription gets stronger all the time. I haven't bought new glasses in 2 or 3 years but, the last time, I went to Sunglass Island (I think that is the name of it. ...at Plaza Las Americas at the bottom or the escalator near C & A/Jax entrance). They had to order my lenses from Mexico City. or, maybe they sent my lenses to D.F. and had them do it all there?? I don't recall the details, but know it took about 10 days because they couldn't do it in-house. I was pleased with the service and price, however. I mean, it isn't their fault that I'm blind and need a stronger lens than they keep in stock.

Before my eyes got that bad, I bought glasses at Devlyn. They were ready in about 15 minutes. The lens cracked a few weeks later, but it was a tiny crack on the side and it didn't affect my vision. Since it never got worse and didn't bother me, I didn't go back to complain. I had lost my glasses and only had prescription sunglasses to wear as a spare pair, at that time, so I needed glasses fast. Devlyn came through. The price and service were both ok there too.

7. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Thanks for the suggestions, Susan. Even ten days wait wouldn't be bad, given that I've been putting up with my current glasses for perhaps a year....

8. WebDesigner

WebDesigner Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My experience wasn't that great :(
    I finally made it to Costco, had my eyes "measured" and ordered glasses. They arrived just 3 days later (I was in heaven!), but then I discovered that they made me see things double on the computer screen.

So I went back, told the lady at Costco and she told me that was normal and that I just needed to get used to the glasses. But I insisted on having another refraction done... Long story short: the first one was wrong, at 125 for each eye. The second one determined I need 150 on my right eye plus some adjustment for astigmatism, while just 075 on my left one. I tried their "test" glasses and they were perfect at that graduation.
    Now waiting for the new glasses to arrive. I'll keep you posted.

I do want to mention that the ladies there are all very nice, and they'll go all the way to try to help you. Hopefully these new glasses will do the trick :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice