Getting from Cancun to Cozumel

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by Ken and Darcie, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Ken and Darcie

Ken and Darcie Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    we will be in 3 weeks and i was wondering if its difficult to get from Cancun to Cozumel to spend a day. Is it expensive and is it worth it. See ya in 3 weeks and the drinks are on us.

2. DavenRose

DavenRose I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    We have done it before, but it is not that easy from TTR just because of the distance to Playa Del Carmen where you catch the ferry. It will be pretty expensive to go to Playa but I think your best bet would be to hire a private transfer like Brandts to make the trip and arrange for them to pick you up as well.

Once you get to Playa Del Carmen, go to pier (in the 5th avenue area) and purchase your ferry ticket. (I can't remember the cost but I think it was $18) You will have to figure out how you want to get around on Cozmel, we rented a scooter and toured the whole island, checking out different beaches and bars along the way.

There may be another place to catch the ferry rather than go all the way to Playa but not sure, we wanted to see Playa too, so we opted to take that route.

We had a great day, and the beaches there are awesome!!

3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
  4. Ken and Darcie

Ken and Darcie Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    thanks all. We will give it some thought.... Sounds like quite the hassle. See ya in a couple weeks.

5. Cape Couple

Cape Couple Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    The last time we were down there, a couple of summers ago, we split our vacation between Cozumel and Cancun. (We flew into Cozumel, spent a couple of days there, then made our way up the coast for five days in Cancun before flying out from there.)

My wife had some doubts about how easy (or difficult) getting from Cozumel to Cancun would be, but it was a breeze, and getting from Cancun to Cozumel should be just as easy, especially from TTR. From TTR you aren't far (about 10 minutes, tops) from the Cancun bus station. I don't recall how often the buses run between Cancun and Playa del Carmen, but it's pretty frequent (like every 1/2 hour or so). Bus fare was around $7us per person and the buses are very comfortable (no, you won't be on a converted school bus with a crate of chickens on the roof). These are modern tour bus type vehicles. The bus we were on even had TVs with Spanish versions of the Travel Channel playing on a DVD system.

The bus ride to PDC takes a little under an hour and the bus station there is about two blocks from the ferry dock (DavenRose said in an earlier post that they thought there might be another ferry departure point; I believe there used to be one around Puerto Morlos, but I'm pretty sure that one's been discontinued). The passenger ferrys between PDC and Cozumel run at least once an hour starting around 6 a.m. and ending sometime around 10 or 11 at night. I think we only paid about $10 per person for one-way tickets. The ferrys are large, fast, and have both indoor and outdoor seating.

The ferry will take you to San Miguel. You'll probably see dozens of taxis on either side of the ferry dock, especially if one of the large cruise ships is in port that day. You can either hire a cab for around $5 or $6us to take you someplace where you can rent scooters, OR, you can simply walk south (right) from the ferry dock for a few blocks - probably 7 or 8 - and you should see some scooter rental places by then (at least I THINK they were that close).

It's hard to get lost on Cozumel. In fact, if you take the street that runs along the levy (where the ferry dock is) and head south, the street eventually turns into an open highway (more or less) that will take you past some marinas, a few beaches, and several all-inclusive resorts. Eventually the road will take you as far south as you can go on the island and will start heading back north along the sparsely-populated east side of Cozumel where you'll pass some beaches typically only used by the locals. One of the best places to stop on the east side is a bar and grill called Coconuts. It has a great view from atop some cliffs overlooking the coastline. It's a good place to stop for lunch, a couple Coronas, some great views and a very relaxing ambiance. If you continue north, you'll come to one more bar and beach area at a point where the road takes a 90-degree turn to the left and starts heading back inland toward San Miguel. If you didn't stop, you can do the whole loop in just over an hour.

I'd be glad to send you some pictures if you PM an e-mail address to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice