Getting back from Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Alice, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Alice

Alice Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello everyone - I have learned a lot by visiting this board. Invaluable information to help insure our trip will be a great time. Thank you all very much. Now to my question (the 1st of many probably).

I am making dinner resv for La Habichuela our 1st night. We will take the bus downtown. After dinner I want to go to the Wal-Mart for our groceries. I plan on taking a taxi there from the restaurant but I am wondering if getting a taxi from Wal-Mart after we are done shopping will be difficult?

Thanks,
    Alice

2. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You'll find lots of taxi's right outside Wal-Mart so you won't have any problems finding one to take you back to your resort.

And remember that even though the tip is built in to the fare, it is appropriate to give them an additional tip if they do things like help you carry your groceries etc.

3. Alice

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you Karen.

4. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    One other thing to remember about the taxis is that downtown is one of the few places where it is not needed to agree with the drive on the price up front (before you get in - to aviod getting 'taken for a ride' on the price) becuase there is a 'standard fare' from any one point within downtown to any other point downtown.

5. Alice

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    But what about from Wal-Mart to the Royal Sands is that a 'standard fare' also?

Thanks,
    Alice

6. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes...when you come out nd approach the taxi stand you'll see a fare chart that will list fares to various places in the hotel zone.

Your driver will quote you the fare (have him do it before you get in the taxi) and you can check that it's what you should be charged.

Expect it to be 130 pesos from dowtown to Zone 10 in the hotel zone where rhe Royal Sands is located.

7. Naoautorizada

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    To be clear, when I used the term "standard fare" I was referring to a flat rate which applies to all trips that start and end within the downtown area - and which I have yet to have any taxi driver try and misquote.

For taxi trips outside of the downtown area you'll need to be careful if you're going to be economical (at all) in taking taxis in Cancun... The rates you're supposed to pay may be posted somewhere, but my experience is that the cab driver will ask for whatever he thinks he might get away with - particularly if there was no agreement before you reach your destination.

As a back up (and for locations where there may not be any signs) the way I've always arrived at the top rate I'll be willing to pay to go back to the hotel from any particular location would be to find out from the consierge (however that's spelled) at the Sands (in your instance) BEFORE you embark on your excursion what a cab ride from (or to) that location should cost and then be certain to get that number (or less) agreed to with your cab driver before you get in.

This is another area where it pays to plan when vacationing in Cancun, so you should be able to do as well or better than most.

8. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Taxi prices from Walmart are posted by the right hand side entrance, at least they were a year or so ago - I havent looked since.

Work out the price using the chart and either ask how much and then point out the official rate, or ask "Royal Sands for 100 pesos?" (or whatever the chart says is the correct rate)

9. CRAZYMIKE

CRAZYMIKE Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :D The bus stop is right on the side as well. 6 peso.. I think it is the #2

10. Naoautorizada

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You're right Mike, on both counts.
    But taking the bus with your arms full of snacks and purified water to last for a week can be a trying experience.

(Then again, she has 5 people along to help carry the packages - and the bus DOES stop right there...)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice