Getting Around Cancun

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Ana, May 14, 2004.

1. Ana

Ana Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: Buses from the BBC

Karan is right, there is no public buses on BBC, you can take a taxi to the bus stop.

2. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is that the hotel that is father out, near Puerto Juarez and Punta Sam? I always saw colectivos going down Tulum that said BB Club on the windows.

3. Penny Penguin

Penny Penguin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Xel Ha

Hubby and I would like to go to Xel Ha on our Cancun trip next month. What is the easiest way to get there? Bus, taxi, rent a car? Also what is the cost :?:

4. Ana

Ana Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am not sure if the public buses that run daily to PDC will let you in Xel Ha as it is farther, taxi is very expensive so if you do not want to take a tour then the next best option will be to rent a car.

5. ginger118

ginger118 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Crococun

How would be the best way to travel to Crococun? Any idea of the cost?
    Thanks for any help on this. 11 more days!!!

6. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Since Crococun is down near Puerto Morelos I think a taxi would be very expensive.

One way might be to rent a car. That would have to be cheaper than a taxi.

You could always take the bus (take the one going to Playa that leaves from the downtown bus station) and get off at the Puerto Morelos stop (which isn't in Puerto Morelos but is on the main highway and you take taxi into town) and grab a taxi from there to Crococun.

I think that would definitey be the cheapest way to go.

Karan

7. Ana

Ana Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    To get there by bus from Cancun or Playa Del Carmen go to the bus station and take a Mayab or Playa Express that will leave you at the front gate.

8. ginger118

ginger118 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks!

You guys are great! Thanks so much!

9. Ana

Ana Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Bus One is not longer on the road :(

10. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just now got around to reading this....the bus prices are as follows...I dont know where Ana got 12 pesos for the Hotel Zone buses from....

All buses that go the the "Hotel Zone" are 6.5 pesos p/p. (count your change if paying with large bills, {50, 100, 200 pesos} the drivers have been known to keep a tip without asking) If you pay with dollars expect 10 pesos per dollar exchange rate. American coins are not accepted.

The "in-town" buses (away from all the big hotels, in the "real" Cancun) are 4.5 pesos p/p.

Here are a few "main stops" for some of the buses a tourist might encounter.

From the Hotel Zone R-2 is wal-mart and Market 28.
    From the Hotel Zone R-1 (extremely common) is Anything along Tulum Ave.
    From the Hotel Zone R-15 is Office Depot and between Wal-mart and Tulum.
    From the Hotel Zone R-27 is Plaza las Americas (Mall) and also to the new Gran Plaza Mall.

If your simply going from one part of the HotelZone to another (ie: your hotel to CocoBongo) you can catch any public bus, as you will be getting off before they go on their specific route.

Getting back to the Hotel Zone just take any of these going the other way, towards the Hotel Zone. (6.5 pesos p/p)Ask if unsure of their dirrection.

In town R-5 is Plaza las Americas (when going South) don't get on if its going another direction as you will be taken into no-tourist land.
    In town R-4 can be Wal-mart or other places, read the front of the bus.
    In town R-6 is Ave. La Luna, to Gran Plaza Mall or to Crucero depending where you catch it. Ask!

There are numerous other bus numbers and routes, the main destinations of the buses will be listed on the front.

Most of the drivers can understand enough English that you can ask..."Wal-mart?" "Hotels?" etc... and they can answer you.

A note about the buses. The Hotel Zone buses (R-1,2,27 etc.) and most of the in-town buses, do not go in a "loop". Meaning you can't just sit on one and expect to be taken back by where you got on. If you stay on the bus too long you will find yourself riding about in the "regions" where there are no tourist shops or many English speakers. At some point the bus will stop at whatever station it parks by, at which point the driver will expect you to get off. Then you will find out just how poor his English is when you try and ask him how to get back. If you find yourself in that situation, (as I have), just sit tight, the bus will once again go back and retrace its route, however it might be a bit of a wait while the drivers takes a break or a new one shows up. You will then be expected to pay again for the bus ride and you will retrace the trip. Hopefully this time you will get off in a tourist area. Basically you want to get off of the hotel buses within the first 10 stops after getting into town with the exception of those going to Gran Plaza (tell the driver, so he will let you know when to get off). :cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice