Gettin to whale shark snorkling in Belize

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Medusa, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Medusa

Medusa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Any suggestions on the best way to get down to Belize from Cancun/Akumal for whale shark snorkling?

From searching, Holbox whale shark season does not start until May 15th, and most sites refer to starting tours in June.

Belize whale shark "season" begins by April. I know, I know, I could of planned vacation better, but May 7 thru 14 in Cancun and 15 thru 18 in Akumal is what I have scheduled.

Although it may be a long trip, and possible best as an overnighter, I would really like to snorkle with those big guys, or at least see them up close.

Should have dove with them before I/we got too old and out of shape to scuba any more; snorkling is a blast, lot's easier in general, and lot's easier on the old bod.

Wayne

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can take a bus from downtown to Chetumal. From there you can take another bus to Belize City. I am not sure where the Whale Shark "tour" takes place in Belize but my guess would be Ambergris Caye or Caye Caulker (Caye is pronounced Key, like Key West)

You take a passenger boat to either Caye but it takes a lot longer than they tell you. I took the boat over to the Cayes but coming back I opted for the 10 or so seater plane. There are two airlines that run this route and the fares are reasonable and the service I experienced was acceptable. The plane is also good for photos.

3. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    These are the airlines. I am sure they have websites so this is all the help you get from me on the planes.

Belizean Airlines Offering In-Country Service:

Maya Island Air: (501) 223-1403. Scheduled flights and private charters.
    Tropic Air: (501) 226-2012. Scheduled flights and private charters.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    TJ, are these flights from Cancun?

I know before (a few years ago) the only scheduled flights had a stop over in Guatamala, maybe things have changed.

Just a word of warning Belize can be a scary place, not so much out on the Cayes but on the mainland you will need to have your wits about you.

5. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve, no those are national flights within Belize only on those airlines.

The first time I went to Belize YOU told me that Belize City was scary and suggested a new hotel on the outskirts of the city. The Princess and I saw the hotel on our way into town as I drove my car down there. We then went downtown and said "hell no" and went over to San Pedro (that's what the locals call Amergris Caye) that very day. It we did that for the very reason that you mentioned. SCARY ! ! !

6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Ok, got you now on the flight thing.

Yep, Scary place! Might just have to go down there again sometime. Kind of like riding the ghost train :)

7. Medusa

Medusa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    whale Sharks in Placencia, Belize
    Gladden Reserve and whale sharks

Thanks, guys; wow T.J. you had me excited, thought I was going to get a direct flight from my hotel room to the whale shark tour boat. :) :)
    The in-country flights/airlines are great info, and will be good for one leg of the trip, thanks.

I've been reshearching for several days, and received one suggestion that I might be able to arrange a flight out of Playa de Carmen to Belize City.

We have stayed on San Pedro/Amergris Caye several years back when we were diving. Turnuff (sp) Island is where some of the best dives we ever did were, just awsome.

Wayne

8. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've done the bus to Belize a couple of times, very easy and inexpensive. But yes, stay the heck out of Belize City, it's a horror!

I am a regular reader of a woman who blogs in Belize, she lives on San Pedro and can probably answer your questions (she's a friendly sort). See her blog here....

http://tacogirlblog.blogspot.com/

Enjoy!

9. Medusa

Medusa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks CC

I just sent her an email after visiting the site.

1. Bus-Cancun to Chetumal 5 hours plus.
    Note-still reshearching:
    Flights from Cancun to Chetumal $600.00 RT/person :shock:
    Expensive, but will save several hours travel time.

2. Bus-Chetumal to Belize City 2 hours+/-

3. From Belize City to Placenica/Gladden Split; 100 miles, 50 minutes by plane, two airlines.

So eight hours to get there not counting layovers, breakdowns, etc., etc.

Wow! That's a lot of time/effort out of/for a vacation; time that could be better spent on the beach with a Beer/Margaritta.
    Maybe I'll time vacation next year for either Holbox, or to spend two or three days in Belize area.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice