General and Hotel Specific ?s

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by kevinoc81, Feb 16, 2007.

1. kevinoc81

kevinoc81 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wasn't sure where to post this so if it needs to be moved mods, sorry.

I have a few ?s about the Flamingo, just wondering if anyone knew.

1.) What kind of outlets do they have? Same as U.S.? Two-prong, three-prong? Will I need any adapters to plug stuff in?

2.) Is it true there is no swim-up bar any more?

OK, now just in general.

1.) The consensus around here is pesos are better to pay for everything, but dollars are better to tip. Is this correct?

2.) How's the beach and the weather? (don't have to answer this, it's just that I'm about at the 3 -week point and I am losing my mind here! It's 2 degrees!)

2. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Will answer general question #1. If you want to maximize the value of your tips to whomever in Mexico, tip in pesos. Otherwise, they will lose something in the exchange from $$ to pesos when they try to change the money to the local currency.

As far as dollars go, the best "kind" of dollars to use are the $2.00 bills. I think they are still a curiousity down there and are considered "lucky".

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've seen people here not believe US $2 bills are "real". I wouldn't give them for that reason. And I often see people in grocery stores buying $50 usd worth of stuff with $1 usd bills, which looks like no fun either...but is obviously better than not being able to buy them.

If it were me I would tip in 10 peso coins or 20 peso bills.

As for the outlets count on them being 2 prong, like in the old days in the US. Bring a 3 prong adapter and then you may not need it. If the hotel DOES have 3 prong outlets they are probably still not grounded properly. Very few places here have properly grounded outlets.

Weather in general is getting hotter lately, I'm using the A/C more. Today it's cold though, might only be 75 degrees, and it's cloudy, very weird but a nice break from heat. I may actually wear, gasp, jeans, when I go out tonight. But you know that asking about the weather this far out means nothing at all....

4. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    COLD?????? 75 degrees
    try 3 degrees on for size LOL
    Come on up for some nice Minnesota warm weather RiverGirl......

5. kevinoc81

kevinoc81 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Exactly! It was 2 degrees and windy in Chicago this morning for my walk to work. 5 minutes outside left my hands and toes numb!! If they told me the price of my trip doubled, I would pay it just to be in 75 degree weather right now!

And yes, I know it is pointless to ask this far out, but with the weather here, I am just getting ahead of myself (understandable).

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm sorry to hear how cold you guys are. I grew up in NH and lived 13 years in CO. I know cold. I still have snow boots packed in my brother-in-law's garage.

But when you get used to it always being 90 degrees, then when it drops to 75 you run for a sweater. I may have to go find a blanket to put on the bed, this is serious cold. Albeit I'm still barefoot, wearing a tank top and shorts. But I'm definitely go for jeans tonight.

7. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Now your makin me laugh, you poor cold RiverGirl.......

You know I'm just pulling your leg. I heard you say you spent some time in the Mountains. I lived in Big Sky Montana for 5 years. Gotta love the mountains. You have a great weekend and try to stay warm LOL

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice