Gay Week discussion

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by jenfleur, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    Oh OK.. it's OK to hate people because of who they are but not who they love. I understand now.

BTW... guess you've never been to SFO for the Gay Pride week there. Lot's of parades and in your face stuff that I'd rather not see. What you do in your bedroom is no concern of mine but what you put on the streets in my face is. And I'm not speaking just of gays, I don't go to Desire for the same reason and those are hetro couples. So choosing not to be in an area where things may happen that you rather not be a part of is not hate, its intellectual planning. I plan not to be in Denver during the Dem's National Convention in 2008 because I don't want to deal with that either. So I guess by your definition I hate Dems too. (OK that was too easy. :D )

What if it was The International Brotherhood of People Against Soap and Deodorant (IBPASD)? Would it be OK to avoid a crowd of smelly people? Or would I be a smelly person hater?

Everyone that knows me knows I don't hate people because of their lifestyle choices. But I do reserve the right to plan not to be in an area when some groups are there and reserve the right to ask when they will be there.

At worst, if this person hated gay and lesbian people, he's making the right choice to find out when they would be there so he could be someplace else at the time. Smart move on his part to avoid any possible confrontation. And because he's making the smart choice everyone feels it's necessary to call him names. So who is the bearer of hate in that situation?

Those that wish for tolerances of choices do not get to pick what choices people are going to be tolerant of. It's either all or none, not your's choices are OK and not mine are not.

Jamie

2. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I completely see your point Jamie.

Speaking for myself, I was reacting to some of the statements in the original post, and the meaning I took from them. You're absolutely right that he has the right and the choice of whether or not to choose to be in Cancun for "gay week". I support their right to choose.

To me, the statement just seemed closed-minded and somewhat bigoted. Again, this is what I took from it. Having many friends and some family members who are gay, makes me pretty sensitive to other peoples reactions to gay people. On some levels, its no different than my choice to not hang out with people who are against gay people. I have my opinions which I feel are right, and they have theirs.

I just feel that the issue could have been approached with a little more sensitivity. Even if just to respect the people on this forum who are gay.

So, I apologize if I came across harshly. I stand behind my principles always, but I do respect the opinions of others as well.

If its anything like the Halloween parade in the East Village and all the celebrations associated with it, I know exactly what you mean. I love everyone regardless of who they want to love.......but seeing a guy chained up in a cage wearing a leather mask, does not do it for me either.

3. LiTTLEMiSSJENNA

LiTTLEMiSSJENNA Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    heyy im going during gay week too, and i know theres a bunch of controversy in this post but on a serious note- is gay week just a time for lovers to vacation together or is it really like the halloween parade in the village? bc if its like the one in the village- dont get me wrong its a hell of a time, but i d k if i'd want 6 days of strap ons and leather thongs. :?:

4. jenfleur

jenfleur Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good points and well made by Jamie, Lambert and others. The world will always have bigotted people in it (not saying anyone here IS, just saying) which unfortunately won't change I don't think. But tolerance goes a long way, wether it's sexuality, religion etc etc.

And Jenna, not all of us people that may love another of our sex use strap-ons. Of course, we all do wear leather thongs though.... :wink:

5. Lisa Groves

Lisa Groves Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Isnt 6 days of strap ons and leather thongs just going to BBG?!!!

And that is only Chinos?!!! :lol: :lol:

6. LiTTLEMiSSJENNA

LiTTLEMiSSJENNA Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i know that they dont all use strap ons and stuff (l0l) but if you've ever been to a gay event- its usually insane with bondage costumes and outrageous behavior. Thats what i meant, is the festival like the festival in manhattan, the one ive seen- or is it just a time for gay couples to be together.... like i said i can do the manhattan celebration for a night, but i wouldnt make a vaca out of it, but if its just more gay couples than usual, i have no problem with that. :wink:

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think that the original poster's question was worded as to be politically incorrect and somewhat intolerant. But the question of "what is the place going to be like when I'm there?" is legitimate...and also unanswerable. You might as well as if it's going to rain.

I think Steve's estimate of not more than a few hundred extra gay people coming for that week is correct. The reality is that Cancun is a pretty tolerant place for gays. Gay people from other parts of Mexico come here to live. And openly gay tourists come in every single day. But they are still in the minority, just like they are in the population at large.

Homosexual behavior is normal for humans. The Kinsey studies, which were done around 1950 in the US, showed that 37% of men and 13% of women had at least one homosexual encounter leading to orgasm by the time they were 45. By many estimates something close to 5% of the population is exclusively homosexual; that's 1 out of every 20 people you know!

My own experience is that the openly gay people I know are often more mentally healthy than many straight people. And I think it's because of how hard it is to be openly gay. There is such a struggle for them to just live normal lives that I think they often have to do more work on themselves just to survive.

Life is hard for all of us. And finding and keeping love and comfort in this world is a daily struggle. I think we should just leave people alone and let them figure out for themselves what makes them happy.

8. Waste

Waste Moderator Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Time for some humor...

Guys... look at your two best friends. If it's not you, it's one of them... Just something to think about next time you're out and...

and now back to topic...

9. Ian

Ian Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Brings back bad memories of booking a holiday in Spain off of the internet at a abargain basement price to find us billeted in a 1950's holiday camp miles away from civilisation on ' German Week '. Me, a mate, six others off of our plane and 1,400 leather lederhosen clad ,sausage munching square heads who seemed to want to spend all there time appologising for the war, getting drunk and then having competitions as to who could belch the best version of ' Deutchland Deutchland uber aller '.

Gay week would have seemed a mere walk in the park compared to what we experienced on ' German Week ' in Spain :lol: :lol:

Ian :lol:

PS. Please note I am not anti gay either, I have a work collegue who's mum lives next door to a couple who bought a very nice setee off of a couple of gays so there you are you see, no malice what so everl from me towards.. ' them '. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

10. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: Cancun Gay Week

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice