Gas Prices

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by Nerd Dawg, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Trish

Trish I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +675 / 0
    I have a 1.2 litre too. I do 40 miles a day to get to/from work and it costs us a fortune. Thankfully the husband and I work in the same place, so essentially our travel costs are halved not having to have separate vehicles. Couldn't afford it otherwise.

If the housing market wasn't in such a state (at the moment we would stand to lose $40,000 if we moved), we'd move closer to work and ditch the car. Would save around $80 a week!

2. J_Boost

J_Boost Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    $3.95 a gallon now in Jersey, Cash. $4.05 credit....

What does everyone else pay?

3. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    Ours is headed back up very quickly. Two weeks ago it was 3.69 and now it's 3.89. We were just in Alaska and I was surprised to find that diesel was cheaper in Alaska than it is here. Gas was about the same as here in Western NY.

If you cry when you fill your cars, how about filling an RV with a 100 gallon tank? I had to learn to not cry when I filled it up as I was getting water in the diesel fuel!

4. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Canadian Dos Equis fan Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man Registered Member

Ratings:
    +176 / 0
    Going through conversions to Imperial for you American types we are sitting at about $4.35/gallon in Calgary at the moment. And we have plentiful supplies up here!

5. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Prices are going up at a time when the world is awash in oil. Corn prices are shooting up, however, owing to the drought in the U.S., and the boost may be coming from the ethanol component.

6. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Ratings:
    +176 / 0
    Wish I could find the article, but here a few months ago when prices started going up around town even though the price of a barrel of oil was going down it was explained that the individual retailers were raising their margins to make up for lost profits from when bulk prices were high.

Then there are the years when refineries have unsheduled maintenance, etc. There always seems to be some excuse.

7. Franco27

Franco27 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    diesel hit £1.47 per ltr in town last night, so $8.50 per (US)gallon, and it keeps going up ... apparently we can blame Iran for that ...thankfully i get the train in to work, although they've just announced price hikes of 10% on that too .... getting hit left right and centre

what suprised me when I was driving in the US last month, is the difference in cost from state to state, in Cali we were looking at about $4.50, but when we crossed over in to Nevada it went down to about $3.20

8. lowrider86

lowrider86 Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0
    Gas in Western NC has gone up almost .30 cents in last 2 weeks, Reg. now 3.59 and still going up.... But I'm also paying 5.98 for airplane fuel. Both suck!!

9. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    The big reason the price is going up is supposed to be a fire in a huge refinery in Richmond, CA. It doesn't seem like that should have an effect on prices 3000 miles away, but it does seem to be having that effect.

One of the things that really gets me the most when I look at fuel prices is the disparity between gas and diesel. At one station diesel is $.30 more than regular gas and at another it's $.50 more. No rhyme or reason to that one.

10. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Ratings:
    +176 / 0
    It's probably so confusing because oil and gas are pretty much the only raw commodities that people buy in a pretty much non-processed state. For example it's not like we are buying gold bullion direct from mines, we buy rings etc which have a lot of manufacturing cost built in.

Then add in all the factors which hit the global price, supply and demand, etc. etc. You'd have to be a genius to actually make sense of what is happening to the pump price.

I'm considering getting a garden hose and saving money that way lol. I already have the jerry can!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice