Fun question for locals

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Cancun crazy, Mar 14, 2007.

1. ELLABEAR424

ELLABEAR424 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Take Tennessee off of your list. They have a nuclear plant somewhere right around Oak Ridge. Anytime there is a problem, they go into lock down. Sorry

2. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OK - so no Tennessee.
    Well, Iowa and Indiana are left.
    Maybe we can add Wyoming.
    (I mean, we have to have at least one place we can safely go on vacation without leaving the country!)
    ;-)

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know far too much about Wyoming (being from Colorado) to want to live there. It's beautiful there though.

4. Isla Zina

Isla Zina Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is from my blog of life on Isla Mujeres...at www.islatravelers.com
    A lot of doing for little accomplishment!

"We closed the case on the bicyle confiscation yesterday! Two Tacos and I went to Villa Vera to get the lock that was also confiscated. The security guys who took the bike never logged it and it ceased to exist for a while! Persistent emails got the dock master to find it and email me back to come pick it up.
    I also closed the case on El. He had come by after Larry and Beth left to say (!!!) Miguel had a new pool table and issued me an invitation. I dropped by Miguel's after a long day to tell him El does not work for me, hasn'f for a good while! Miguel was pleasantly surprised as El had been there the night before playing pool and drinking with money Two Tacos had given him but forgotten about. Hey Miguel, just so you know, I'm not stupid. I spent 20 years on the streets of Cleveland reporting on all kinds of scum and scams. Claro que si, he said! Lynn and Bob said hi and called me an assimilado! They said it was nice to see a fellow gringo living the local life!
    Yesterday was also a day for closing plumbing cases. Yes, plumbing cases. My favorite Isla worker showed up to fix the rentals: downstairs bathroom cold faucet and upstairs hot. Both needed pulled and replaced.
    I then took Mundo to my friend's house, where he fixed a leaky sink drain at the base. He treated me to a Coke and then we went on to my Ohio friends' house, where he replaced the shower faucet. But we had to go to Boxito first to get the fittings and handle. It was one with a bar that had rusted through before the guts were eaten out! By the way, he was not overpaid and still made 400 pesos for his three hours of work. Plus parts.
    Two Tacos took me to the Cuban restaurant near Villa Vera after that stop. What a lovely lunch along the water! I had garlic fish with fried plantains, salad and rice and beans. Two Tacos had shrimp and calamari ceviche. I got the baby octopust they put in for decoration. We had mojitos and Two Tacos followed them up with a couple beers. Wonderful food and ambience, but the tab was 340 pesos. We did not overtip!
    Started the day off by hitting the ATM and heading to COVI to restock for mojitos at the house. Saw Zak Tomas who donated an allen wrench set (not recovered from VIlla Vera) to the bicycle cause and got a couple baby bamboos at the flower shop. Came home and got rid of the grill though a passing scrap collector. In exchange for hauling its rusted out base and aluminum hood away, he offered to pay 50 pesos a kilo for scrap aluminum and copper next week. Then I got a wonderfull massage from MaryAnne. I guess you could call it a very busy day!"

5. Naoautorizada

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's funny about Isla...

There's very little about it that could be more different than Cancun, yet once you've visited there, a visit to Cancun without a stop at Isla would be very much like having cereal without milk - edible, but nowhere near as tasty.

Word to the wise though - if you go to Cancun during the holidays, schedule your visit to Isla in an off-peak time of the week, becuase guess what, it's a favorite holiday spot for the people that live in Cancun, and the lines for the ferry (going there, and then in particular, returning) can be 4 to 6 hours long, and the people running the ferry won't tell you that when you ask.

6. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    4 to 6 hours is an exageration In 20 years here I have never heard of anyone having to wait that long. I went at Christmas and there were only 2 ferry's running and the wait was less than an hour, I have gone since on weekends and never had more than a 10 minute wait.

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The IM ferries run every half hour, I've heard of people having to wait til the next ferry, but never longer than that.

8. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jumping on the ferry bandwagon, I have never, ever heard of a wait that long, hour at the most.

Cool blog newbie, welcome aboard!

9. Naoautorizada

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No exageration going on here.
    When I was there last New Years weekend, there were also only 2 of the 5 ferries operating and at midday the line of people waiting was all the way into the street. It took 2 full hours to get only half way through the line and we simply decided it wouldn't be worth the wait. We went very early next day and didn't have to wait for too long, but unlike every other day at Isla, when the line to return vanishes after dark, this night, at dusk, the line was enormous - it went all the way from the ferry to (and through) that little park down the road a ways. We decided to take the slower smaller ferry instead, which had a smaller line and it still took over 2 hours to get off the island.

Lesson learned - of you can see the end of the line from the bus stop, just keep going.

10. MartinnVegas

MartinnVegas Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You could've cut in line. I mean, who's going to bitch about that little green ugly looking creature? Most people would have let you cut in just to look at your ears from behind.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice