Fun question for locals

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Cancun crazy, Mar 14, 2007.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So Rivergirl, if you like Marakame, you must love La Troje. There are no better creative and tasty salads in all of Cancun. I like both of these places.

How about Super Carne for the Arrachera Paqueta, 1/2 kg of carne, choice of potato or grilled onion, tortillas and all the "fixins" and a non-alcoholic beverage. All for $83 or $85. I forget which as they just went up from $77.

I like Fonda Argentina for non touristy Argentian food and decent prices. A big room and the acoustics are not so good but I have always had good food and good service.

Italiani's is coming to Paseo Cancun and hopefully it will be cheaper than the HZ location. This is a chain, but very, very good. Part of the TGI Friday's organization.

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Haven't been there yet TJ, where is it? If it's where I'm thinking it's got funny hours and I always miss it being open.

We just went for tacos at the hole in the wall place at the end of our street. It just opened a few days ago, and the only reason we went is that a neighbor is the owner. They have no menu, just cardboard signs made with marker and stuck on the outside of the windows, so as soon as it rains the signs will get wrecked. They have ugly raw fluorescent light bulbs, and plastic chairs and tables from some soda company. They only serve carnitas, barbacoa and consome de barbacoa, 3 items. I don't eat any of that. I tried the carnitas but there was a pound of salt in there, so hubby had to finish them.

With 3 items on the non-existent menu and bad lighting and uncomfortable chairs and salty food I can't imagine that this place will be open in a month. Awful. But this is "real" Mexican food, someone decides to open a "restaurant" and thinks that all it takes is cardboard signs and bare light bulbs. It's the Mexican way!

3. carrie77

carrie77 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Canuck, I went to the McDonalds on Lopez Portillo near Kabah a few times when I was there. I lived just off Kabah near Coba.

There's a pizza place here that knows my voice and order, too! LOL

4. carrie77

carrie77 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    [quote="CancunCanuck]

In terms of doing the touristy stuff, most of us don't have the time or money to do so.[/quote]

So true!!! As a shot girl at Slices, I worked almost two months straight with NO days off, and being low season, there were days I barely made enough in tips ($40 MXP!) to get home and back to work the next day... and shot girls don't get any pay, just tips. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED my job (Hello, partying!) and there were days I made $800 MXP... I was just clarifying how I relate to Canuck's quote.

5. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kim (and others)

Super Carne is in the plaza between Elektra and Blockbuster on Coba, just west of Palenque. I have eaten there as late as 11 pm. And I can never remember if the Blockbuster is next to Office Max or Office Depot, just the one that is NOT at the corner of Coba & Tulum. The other one.

Also, no one mentioned Tacos Rigo on the glorieta at Paleque and Xpuhil. Great barbacoa but they run out before dark. Great tacos all the time - many, many types. Good for after a not too late night on Yaxchilan. LOL.

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TJ - I meant La Troje, not Super Carne...

That's Office Max next to Electra and Super Carne.

We sometimes go to Tacos Rigo at 1 or 2 am, well, by sometimes I mean I've done it twice in the last 2 years...their tacos are decent there. And there's almost sort-of maybe some kind of ambiance there. Many of my Mexican friends love it there.

7. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    La Troje is on Acanceh, next to the back side of Sports City.

8. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, so it IS the one I was thinking of, the one that is NEVER open when I drive by and think of stopping...Thanks

9. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rivergirl, La Troje is open from before 9am till midnight everyday except for Sunday, they Serve Breakfast lunch and Dinner and are great!
    I have to give Marakame the absolute worst service award, food is good but I will not go back the service sucks and I have given them more than 15 chances.
    A place that is Fantastic is De Pa in the Parque de las Palapas OMG! talk about really good food Patric the owner is very entertaining and speaks fluent english too.

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cunspin, thanks for the info. I've eaten at Marakame at least 10 times always had either good or great service. Went there on Valentine's Day and they were giving away mugs and chocolates. I will try De Pa for sure.

I've tried to go to La Troje 3 different times, with 3 different people who love it and thought it should be open then, and it was closed. So they definitely have something odd going on with hours. I will give them another shot soon though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice