Fun question for locals

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Cancun crazy, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Cancun crazy

Cancun crazy Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been wondering this for a long time now. What's a normal day like for you living in Cancun? I know you have to work but how do you relax or what kind of things do you do in your free time? Where do like to eat or just hang out?

2. gene37412

gene37412 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I, for one don't work. I just hang out and go where I want when I want...

3. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Normal day? Wish there was such a thing with a two year old in the house. :wink:

I work part time, but six days a week. My first class starts at 7 am and I teach until 10:30, M-F, 8-1 on Saturdays. I pick up my son from school and we usually head straight home for our nap. Walks in the neighbourhood, parties at people's houses (mostly kids' parties, though there is always enough beer to make Barney tolerable for the adults :D ). Weekends we'll head to the beach, Isla Mujeres, PDC or Cozumel, though often we just hang out in the neighbourhood or go for long walks.

We don't have a lot of money for going out to the nice restaurants or hotel zone clubs, though hubby goes out almost every Friday night, usually to Terrasta. On the rare occasion that I get out, I will go to Yaxchilan to meet friends at one of the bars, or head out for a big disco night out with the girls, but that is a rare treat these days!

4. ELLABEAR424

ELLABEAR424 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ok gene37412, so where do you like to spend all of your free time?????
    Where are your favorite places?? :)

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I get up at 5:30 am 6 days a week. M-F my daughter has to be at school by 7. And on the 6th day my husband has to be at work by 7 so I get up and make his lunch. Then I go running and work out for an hour and a half.

After that I meet with clients and work until it's time to pick up my kid at 2:30. And once a week or so I meet a friend for coffee in that time. After I pick her up I run errands and/or work. Often I work on and off until 10 pm.

On weekends we sometimes go out to eat. Often we see some friends and have a drink or two with them. Sometimes we ride our bikes around the city. Sometimes we go to a movie or go shopping. Rarely we go to the beach or over to Isla Mujeres for a day. And sometimes we go down to Playa del Carmen or Puerto Morelos.

If we have visitors we act like tourists and go to the beach and to Mayan ruins.

When I lived in the US I would travel on weekends, go mountain biking, camping, fly somewhere cheap. Here it's more difficult to get away for the weekend. Here I put a lot of time into friendships but not much into travel.

To be honest this area is quite boring imho. There aren't big cities with lots of cultural activities here. There are very few protected natural places to go and enjoy nature. There are no mountains. But my closest friends are here. And my kid loves school here. And my business is here.

I think to be really happy here you need to have the money to travel often. And right now I don't, but like I said I have my friends, my work and my family here.

6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I haven't quite figured out whether every day is a working day or every day is a holiday since my work is something I enjoy and I have no boss to answer to.

I have very little routine day to day, but spend at least 70 hours a week online - that could be a 16 hr stretch on a couple of days with just a couple of hours here and there on others. If we want to go to the beach on a Wednesday we do and if on a Sunday we have no plans then I'll happily work all day. I'll often work until 2am as it's quiet and I can concentrate so I normally dont get up until 10:00am.

At the moment two or three times a month we have the cancuncare booze cruises so that is something we enjoy doing and get to see some sun and fun. We also have wasted days where we might end up queuing for hours and visiting official offices multiple times such as immigration or to pay the car tax.

Like Kelly, we have a 2 yr old too so Jannet and I dont get much chance to go out together on our own. Jannet normally goes out on a Wednesday with the girls, I go out with the guys maybe once a month if that. There's normally someone we know having a house party, kids birthday or BBQ every two weeks or so.

We usually go out at least twice a week during the day as a family but seldom eat out at restaurants, maybe snacks at a beach side place or downtown with a few beers or somewhere with a kids play area such as McDonalds. I'll probably get slaughtered for this but I am still yet to find a restaurant in Cancun that I truly enjoy in the same way I could name half a dozen places back home, and much prefer Jannets home cooking.

7. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good answers guys. I am in the soul searching stage right now in deciding if we want to move to Puerto Rico this year. As I am sure many people who moved to Cancun have struggled with, I am trying to perform the mental separation of vacation and living somewhere. We considered Cancun for a while, but for many of the reasons Rivergirl mentioned, we decided it was not for us. Plus, since Puerto Rico is a US territory, we dont have to deal with all the immigration and citizenship headaches.

Thanks again from me for the insight. I love hearing about it here or in some of your blogs.

8. gene37412

gene37412 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    well I still trade stocks a little bit to keep me busy....but mostly just what ever strikes me at the time....I like La Taberna and My Place....Doug at La Taberna is a great guy and offers great drinks and the same can be said for Joe and Janet that own My Place. I also like to drive around and explore and meet more and more locals regardless of where they hail from. Basically just chilling out...

9. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I do the same thing I do back home except the weather is nicer (minus WILMA the EVIL) and I get to go to the beach on the weekends year-round. Add fewer choices for numerous amounts of other things and a general frustration of some more things and that pretty much sums it up!

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with Steve, there are almost zero restaurants here that I like. The ones I do like are ones where the food is decent and I like the ambiance.

The restaurants I like are Il Chianti in Plaza Nayandei, the food is the best Italian I've had in Mexico, very good! I also like Marakame, as much for the decor as the food. I like Dub Cafe for lunch, the food isn't fab, but is fine, but I like the place. And I like My Place's food, and of course am chums with Joe and Janet. The ill-named Club Sandwich Cafe on Tulum has decent food which is always carefully prepared. And I like a little fish taco place on Tulum called Los de Pescado. Then across Tulum from that, near the Hospital Americano is a Japanese sushi place that is quite good, though I forget the name.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice