Fun JET Charters? anyone with experience

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by vickier, Jan 25, 2007.

1. vickier

vickier Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi,

We are coming in this time on a Fun Jet Charter. I know that we use the little charter airport instead of the main terminal. Is this a good thing? I had read on aonther post that there were no souvenir shops at that one, so I can handle that. Any other considerations?

Now the important question! The rules of the charter say that each passenger is limited to 2 bags with a weight limit of 25lbs per bag! How strictly do they enforce this? The darn suitcases weigh close to 10 lbs so I am a little concerned about this.

Anything else about the jun jet charter travel experience would be appreciated. You can't beat the price and it is a non-stop flight so there were lots of pluses on that end, just curious what everyones experience has been.

thanks for your help! Still hoping for Cancun Palace on the Feb 17th but it isn't looking good by all accounts.

2. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They weigh your bags at check in.

If you are over the weight allowance they charge you OR tell you you have to get it under the allowable weight.

3. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You are NOT going to like this news.

It shocked me because the rules for Spirit (which is the airline I generally take) are that each passenger can have 2 checked suitcases at 50 pounds each and one carryon that will fit into a certain size box (sized to mimic the overhead compartment) + a purse or laptop computer.

According to http://www.funjet.com/cs/billofrights.asp, the situation with Funjet is even worse than you think. That page reads:
    "Checked baggage for charter air is limited to two suitcases not to exceed 62" and 55" respectively in overall length, width and height per passenger. Also, the total weight of all suitcases may not exceed 44 pounds. Baggage limitations for charter air via Southwest Airlines is limited to one suitcase. Each piece of excess baggage, subject to carrier acceptance, cannot weigh more than 22 pounds and may be subject to an additional charge."

What a revelation.... Great information to have - thanks for your post.

I guess you'll be packing light, or paying a penalty (if they even allow for a penalty in the event of overweight baggage).

A word to the wise would seem to be that that Funjet is not all it's cracked up to be.

4. vickier

vickier Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :( :cry: Yur right notwhat I wanted to hear, but what I feared. I remember now seeing those dimensions but I couldn't remember the specific sizes. Thanks for the info.

I saw a duffle bag at TJ Maxx the other day that weighs almost nothing, looks like I will be going to buy that and as you say packing very light.

It just proves, you get what you pay for!

Any other info or experience anyone has will be appreciated.

Thanks again!

5. Laura Mapchick

Laura Mapchick Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    we fly funjet out of kansas city quite a bit, and have never had a problem with our luggage, but we do use the lighter weight duffel type bags, they are heavy duty ones, but I know they weigh more than 25 lbs fully packed.

6. Zackman

Zackman I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    With increasing operating costs most airlines are getting stricter when it comes to baggage weight and size. This means one needs to pack with more care and thoughtfulness. Having said that, I have taken Fun Jet charter flights without any problems and I would do it again in the future.

7. Sunnydaze05

Sunnydaze05 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We flew funjet recently and think we may have been over the limit a bit...was sort of sweating it, but knew I could remove some and put the contents in a sack and have my daughter carry it on if needed.....no problems...but better to be safe than sorry, and use the really light weight duffles....rather than the pilot cases.

8. MN_Mike

MN_Mike Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We just flew Funjet earlier this month... I am certain my check suitcase was more than 44 pounds and I am positive my carry-on was 25 lbs or close to it... Maybe I was overestimating the weight, but I did not pack light and we had no problems whatsoever. I wouldn't worry about it...

9. cancunbarbie

cancunbarbie Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We have flown Funjet many times and have never had a problem w/our bags. We always take one large suitcase, one garment bag, and one small suitcase. The large suitcase I'm sure weighs over 44 lbs. If you are just packing for yourself then I'm sure you will be fine w/the weight requirement. We are packing for 2, but again they have never said anything to us about our bags. Now, on Worry Free when we flew Champion Air to Vegas we did have to lighten on suitcase, but never on Funjet which I think is Ryan??
    Over Christmas we flew into the main terminal in Cancun and then on the way out we were vanned over to the smaller terminal to fly out. Our plans also show that for Spring Break. Even though the terminal is super small and there isn't really anything there, the lines are short and the check in is quick compared to the big mess in the main terminal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice