Fresh produce

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Blondonia, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Blondonia

Blondonia Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi,

I just found your site and have already ordered the map and bookmarked several links. This is a very helpful and the forums are even better.

My boys and I will be making our first trip out of the USA to Cancun in June. WooHoo! I'm scared and excited all at the same time.

We LOVE authentic ethnic foods and we are really interested in the fresh produce that time of year.

Any recommendations to "off the beaten path" foods?

What fruits and veggies are "in" that time of year and where is the best place to get them?

Thank you all who take the time to keep this a useful forum.

2. rodman4085

rodman4085 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Take a bus and head to Wal-Mart....their bakery and produce sections are awesome..avacados were $17.70 peso's per kilo, which with Wal-marts exchange rate of 13.8-1 was @ 60 cents/pound, and we made a lot of guacamole a couple of weeks ago! :lol:

3. tele65

tele65 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I, too, would suggest you go to SuperWalMart. . .or even the Chedraui over in Plaza de Las Americas. You will find fruits and vegetables that we seldom see here in the states. And the ones you do recognize are larger and cheaper than what we can get here.

My wife and I bought some figs last October that were the size of small peaches. A quart-sized container was about $1.60 usd. We had figs with our breakfast all week.

Try the star-fruit.

The Walmart usually has some great "aguas frescas" available. . .freshly made fruit juices made straight from the fruit itself with all the pulp and flavor! I've seen some mixtures of different fresh juices available from time to time too--like grapefruit and strawberry. . .orange and cactus (nopalito. . .not the tuna(fruit)). Try the sandia (watermelon) or melon (cantaloupe). Horchata is made from rice flour and usually has a hint of cinnamon too. If available you might want to try agua de jamaica (ha maee ka) which is made from the calyce of a type of hibiscus flower.

okay. . .now I'm jonesin' for some agua fresca.

4. sickofsnow

sickofsnow Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My favorite agua fresca at Walmart....watermelon!!! Deeeelish! I even like the Cristal Lite sandia powdered stuff.

5. Blondonia

Blondonia Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you for all the info. WalMart it is! It all sounds so good, i can't wait to get there. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice