Fractions of pesos

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by coby, Mar 22, 2010.

1. coby

coby Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Since we've been here, I've noticed something peculiar: there doesn't seem [to me] to be a rhyme or reason how stores deal with fractions of pesos. I've noted several times, even at the same store, that how this is dealt with is largely dependent on the cycle of the moon relative to Alpha Centauri.

Some times places just round down, sometimes they round up, and sometimes they give close to exact change with the $0.5/$0.2/$0.1 pieces. I thought that different stores might have a set of rules (even as simple as less than $0.5 round down, greater than or equal round up) but it just doesn't happen, at least not every single time.

Am I crazy, or is there truly no methodology for this? And if not, how do these places account for these discrepancies in their books? Sure, $0.30 pesos isn't much in a single transaction, but for places that have thousands of transactions a day, it would seem to me that the difference would make their book keeper's mind melt.

Edit: I should add I know it's pretty anal to be so analyzing of these things, but numbers make me tick... what can I say.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  2. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The just of it is IMHO.. people are stupid.... they see something for $9.93 pesos and think its a better value than something that is $10.00 pesos even though they will not get any change from their 10 peso coin at checkout... its the same reason gas in the US is always $X.XX.9

As for how the change is decided "round up or down" I think in general the cashiers are instructed to keep the change when ever possible. I ignore it most times... at least in the States you'll normally get your pennies back, but here its all just a bonus for the stores. :xyxthumbs:

3. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've noticed it too... but I prefer that they don't give me any of those tiny monedas because I can't use them anywhere! They just take up space in my wallet. Grrrr

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A bit off topic but related to change.

I go nuts when I pay $100 for something priced at $12 and end up getting 20 coins worth of change. I think the cashiers look for excuses to give me a hand full of coins instead of $20, $50 or whatever. My buddy thinks it is because it takes them too long to count out at the end of their shifts if they have a zillion coins.

The weird thing is that it is rare to find a merchant, even at Walmart, Costco or Pemex, where you get proper change, and quickly, every time. Part of the problem, I suppose is policy, and that is just the way it is. But certainly adding to that is the fact that by giving up all their coins to the customers, eventually the register is void of coins. It's about that time I walk in with no coins, pay with a $50 for my $42 purchase, and stand there while they turn on the red ligth and wait for someone to run get them a tied up bag of coins.

My revenge - and there usually is with me - is that $1, and all smaller coins go in a cup in my kitchen. When I get really froggy, like after paying with a $20 to park at Pza las Amer, and getting10 $1's for change. I plan for my return and pay with a handful of tiny coins, maybe 1 of which is a $1.

And Coby, you probably balance your pocket at the end of the day, so be careful as there is a $.20 coin the size of a $.10. Wonder how many of those you dished out by accident, costing you almost one penny US per coin. Jaja.

5. coby

coby Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Heh, actually, anything smaller than a peso never makes it to the house -- it goes to street charity. And to make it sound like I'm less of a tight-wad prick to some of the poor people who really do need help, it's not just the fractional stuff that goes :eek:rangehat:

Edit: Btw, do any of you ever cringe when you put in a smiley to a post? Some of those damn animations are so long that I don't watch them, only to have that "God, I hope that wasn't an inappropriate emoticon" feeling immediately afterwards. This board has some of the craziest smilies...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice