Fox vs. CNN

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by twinimini, May 22, 2013.

1. Lenni & Jodie

Lenni & Jodie The Unicorn Hunters Registered Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 2
    Hence why his show is on the comedy channel, it isn't serious at all, but he does point out the obvious for those less observant lol

2. Restling

Restling I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,628 / 4
    I'm less concerned with the channel he is on, and more concerned with people using it as a news source.

3. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0

Americans don't seem to either care or be able to discern the difference between comedy and fact. The best example of that is the supposed quote of Sarah Palin, "You can see Russia from my house." That quote which was widely attributed to Palin was a Saturday Night Live Skit which got quoted over and over by people in the general public as fact.

4. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    Both CNN and Fox reported on President Obama shaking Raul Castro's hand at the Nelson Mandela funeral. On Fox it was viewed as an affront to all Cuban Americans that Obama would shake the hand of the dictator. On CNN it was viewed as a wonderful softening of relations between the two countries.

I guess news can now be viewed like eggs. You can have it cooked anyway you want.

5. Thisorthat

Thisorthat Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah one side reports the memorial selfie as him being hip, relevant, and cool, the other as just another example of him being clueless.

6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    The real Castro/Obama handshake story was boring though :)

One country's leader passed by another country's leader on the way to his seat. They knew who each other were and acknowledged it.

They could have either snubbed each other (which would have been a bigger story) or behaved like adults in recognising each others presence and carrying on with the reason they were there without further fuss or conversation. Shouldn't really read any kind of political connotation into it, one way or another.

7. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Meanwhile in the UK..... (our Prime Minister David Cameron being part of the infamous selfie too) it barely made the news and not a single UK friend of mine on Facebook mentioned it, yet lots of my US friends did.

Both sides of our Parliament treated it as a bit of fun, not something to politicize over - why so serious?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25337945

(watch video)

8. Thisorthat

Thisorthat Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    True, but I'm not sure I'd be able to pull that one off at any of the memorials I've ever attended without the family hating me and possibly physically assaulting me. ;)

9. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    I have to agree that the selfie thing was pretty tacky to say the least. It was kind of a "Hey, here we are in South Africa having a great old time. Oh yeah, some guy named Mandela is having a funeral today." Poor taste at a minimum.

10. Restling

Restling I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,628 / 4
    Not as much of a question of being serious, but over here we were constantly told after Obama came into office that "the grown ups" are now in charge. He was brining dignity back. Seeing him act like such a goof makes me wonder how W. Would have been treated. Guarantee he wouldn't have been given much slack.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice