Football Training for Kids ?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Steve, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Anyone know of any places in Cancun that offer football training for 3 yr olds? (That's soccer to the non Brits).

Our little boy was excited he'd be playing football at his new school, only for us to find out that they dont start them until 4 yrs old.

2. tristan1749

tristan1749 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, the brits invented the term soccer to avoid confusion with other kinds of ball kicking sports, so why do they criticize Americans for using a term that they created and makes sense? Maybe it wasn't actual criticism, but it did sound a little condescending. Its isn't soccer to "non Brits". It's soccer only to Americans.

3. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Thanks for your valuable contribution. Approx 90% of the 'non Brits' here would regard the word football to mean a different sport, one that I'm not looking for.

4. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    steve, I'm a bit confused. Are you referring to futbol or American football? The spelling you used has me confused. Here in PdC all futbol seems to be done through schools. Even if there is no organized team, the kids will play futbol at all breaks. But I've never had a kid in preschool so maybe they're less able to make into spontaneous games?

Other than that I have no advice, sorry.

5. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Kathy, it would be futbol in Spanish, Soccer in the US and Football in most other parts of the World including the UK where I'm from.

The schools do offer it but not for another year, when he will be 4. A couple of Mexican friends have since told me of two clubs outside of the schools where it might be available for 3 yr olds. I'll check those out.

Yeah preschool kids are a little young for organising their own games at break times, I'm just looking for somewhere where he can kick a ball, learn a little control and run about a bit, nothing serious.

As an aside, my son has the same name as the Captain of the last England team to win the World Cup in 1966: Billy Wright! Just in case anyone thinks that was deleiberate it was coincidence really, he was named William after my grandfather and of course surnames arent negotiable :)

6. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ah. that sounds like your best bet then. good luck! we actuallly have an american football team here but i think they're only secundaria and prepa so you had me going for a bit there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice