Food for Thought??

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by NormsKid, Feb 22, 2008.

1. rickroll

rickroll Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes there is that, but I think George Bush already tried to do that with his Halliburton Hurricane Machine.

2. rockrgrrrl

rockrgrrrl I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    you know, it DOES bother me when people travel to other countries and don't give a sh!t about their culture.. i did live overseas for awhile, so that's probably why

3. mormis

mormis I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i found this on wikipedia: "Cancún resulted from a 1967 study by Banco de México to determine the feasibility of capturing more dollars and other foreign exchange through tourism development."

and yeah in mexico we really "appreciate" tourism, if it wasnt for tourism in cancun and other spots in mexico we wold be worse...

check out cancun's history at this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancun

i found it really interesting :D

4. rockrgrrrl

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i definitely agree that mexico NEEDS their revenue from tourism.. i just wish that some people would respect mexico as a country and WANT to learn about the mexican culture, instead of just treating it like panama city beach..

5. hw711

hw711 Moderator/Dance Machine Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree. I always try to learn about the history, culture, cuisine, customs, etc of wherever I plan to travel to. You definitely dont want to be the ignorant American who pisses locals off left and right. Usually, the more it shows that you make the effort to understand others, the nicer they'll treat you.

Cancun, as well as most other resort spots mentioned in the articles, are kind of exceptions though. Hotel zone is a lot more like the US than the rest of Mexico. If you go around saying you totally emersed yourself in the Mexican culture last time when you went to Cancun, people will probably laugh at you. If you really want to experience other cultures, you probably want to go somewhere other than the resort spots.

@ Norma: I read about that before I made my first trip. :D

6. mormis

mormis I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    good boy! u did your homework!!!!

and well i dont talk about tourists not knowing a lot of my country because i dont know about my country that much... i know thats not nice but thats why i keep doing the reasearch... for example, last may i went to cancun with my cousin and my best friend, my cous speaks like no english at all and we had a lot of fights over her pushing every english speaking person away, she kept saying that if they were in her country they had to speak our language... i totally disagreed with this... dont know... maybe im weird... :lol:

7. rockrgrrrl

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i think it's cool that you read up on stuff like that before you go. it's a total pet peeve of mine when i go overseas and see people disrespecting the locals, talking down to them, or acting super macho cuz they're american.
    and i definitely agree with you that cancun is much more americanized and not the first place to come into your mind when thinking about going on a vacation to experience culture..
    unless that culture involves wet t-shirt contests

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice