FM3 Time Again!! The BS Never Stops.

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by mixz1, Oct 29, 2007.

1. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you don't mind answering, why 58 days? BTW, nice new avatar.

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    e.b. - If you are getting your FM3 in Denver you will need to do two things when you get here. One is to be sure the INM agent who checks you when you enter the country places a stamp on the first page of the FM3. They should do this automatically but if you don't see them do it then make a fuss.

Then you need to head to the main office and register yourself as a foreign resident. If you don't do this they can fine you. But there is a 30 day grace period after you enter Mexico before you need to do this. You will need to show proof of where you are living in Mexico I believe. You don't need a lawyer for this, it's easy-peasy.

As for Mauricio I don't know how much work he does in the Playa office. I'm sure he must know some folks there, but he has excellent connections in the Cancun office since he used to be the boss and his wife still works in that office.

3. e.b.

e.b. Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you for the info. I knew about the registering process but heard it takes an awful long time. Good info on having the FM3 stamped...do you go through the regular line at immigration for this?

4. cangrincungo

cangrincungo Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I guess I'm just a lucky guy

Call me lucky, but I have not had any problems with my prorogas or my family's. I renewed in May and everything was accepted upon my 2nd return. I had my proroga two weeks later.

I just submitted all the paperwork for my wife and two kis. It was all accepted the first time. They gave us permission to travel to the US for Thanksgiving and it only took one day to get the oficio. The dependent FM3's are now renewed and ready to be picked up!

Either I am a lucky guy or have done this enough times. Let me know if you need any help.

5. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi everyone, this is all confusing me very much, I have been here since 30th September and haven't even been to the immigration office, all my paperwork is supposed to be here at the moment but Fedex have failed to deliver, can you believe it, even Fedex fails in Mexico!!!

I am considering going in as soon as it gets here but what happens, can someone give me some more information? I will going for a rentista as my income comes into Mexico from an outside source and at the moment I do not need to get a job here. The majority of my money comes into my wifes account here in Mexico and I also have a rental income that has only just started this month that gets paid into my UK account which should be enough to cover me, however my tennants (through the letting agents) have paid me three months in advance so this will only show as income for this month and not for the next two.

Does anyone think this will cause a problem? What other information do you normally need other than passport and bank statements? (I live in my mother in laws house who is Mexican and I have no bills that are addressed to me here)

Also, what happens if I don't get my Visa by March? If it fails, do they kick me out of Mexico, even though I have a wife who is Mexican and a daughter who is half Mexican. Can I just go to say Belize for a few days and then come back into Mexico and have another six months here and try again?? PLEASE HELP ME I'M STARTING TO WORRY AND THERE'S NO WAY I CAN AFFORD TO RETURN TO THE UK!

6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,197 / 14
    First, chase up that paperwork.. if it's lost then have it reissued and resent.

I'm not 100% on this but your UK account is the one that they'll be interested in, and they want to see at least 3 months income, more is better. Make sure statements are on headed paper (not printed from online banking) and translated by an approved translator and officially stamped. If you're sending money to your wifes account then I think it's going to be more difficult to demonstrate that it is your money. I know in marriage everything is shared but it's your FM3 you're applying for not your wifes. An alternative option may be applying as a dependant on your wife (via your money paid into her account).

You'll need a copy of utility bills as proof of address, if it's not in your name you'll need a signed letter from the person who's name it is in plus copies of their voters id. This is not an unusual situation for people who rent such as us. You also need a letter stating you are applying for a Rentista in Spanish and signed by you. Copy everything at least 3 times, including every page of your passport including blank pages. Be prepared for at least half a dozen trips to immigration, which may be spread over 6 weeks or so.

Once you get your FM 3, then take three months break before planning for your next one as your first FM3 will be issued only for 6 months.

If you dont get your FM 3 by March then yes, you can leave the country and return on a new FMT. I did the Belize run as have others, however, in hindsight I would choose Miami rather than Belize. But the sooner you get your FM 3 the better if you are here for the long haul.

Again I'm not 100% on this but your daughter was born in the UK and although born to a Mexican mother that might not necessarily mean you are classed as supporting a Mexican child, rather a British child. So, you also need to look at getting your daughters birth and dual nationality regularised. More paperwork I'm afraid.

Maybe enlist the help of the lawyer mentioned previously. Remember, I'm taking a best guess on all this, and although it may give you a head start on what you know it's not authoritative. Certainly don't leave it any longer, get on to it and treat it with urgency otherwise it can and most likely will get more complicated.

Welcome to Mexico!

7. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sam, I second Steve's advice. Get a lawyer or you are going to spend a good portion of your remaining life standing on line. I strongly endorse Mauricio Mendoza, the man mentioned so many times in this thread.

Not that our cases are similar, but we arrived at Mauricio's door with all the triplicate prorogas and such, which he distilled down to a single typewritten page. He cut through all the BS, had everything typed up ready to sign and witness and left us feeling confident about our renewals for the first time since we settled down here.

The actual time between our first visit and receiving our FM3s was 5 business days, interrupted by a weekend.

Your case is going to take longer, but without competent help, I fear it may take months. You really need to work with someone who knows the system and Mauricio, who's history can be gleaned from other posts here, has the connections and knowledge to do the job for you.

8. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,197 / 14
    Just thinking about this more while reading Mixz1's post.

You definitely need to look into your daughters immigration status here too. Presumably she entered on a British passport and has her own FMT? or did you secure a Mexican passport in the UK for her? Regularising her birth and Nationality as a Mexican will avoid any immigration issues for her. Having a Mexican Mum will certainly help matters but at the moment I guess she is classed as a tourist too. The whole thing is a complex case so a lawyer might well be your best option.

9. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We have got her a Mexican birth certificate but not a passport yet.

10. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,197 / 14
    That's good. No need to worry about the baby's passport for now, just concentrate on getting your FM3.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice